Transmitter for a Mature beginner

Paul Harris 5

Hi all

Being a mature beginner to RC Flying I am looking for some advice for a suitable Transmitter, I don't have a huge budget and have been searching on-line for some suggestions and came up with the following systems, both being similar in features and price, would these be a good choice or are there any better options available.

The models I have been looking at are

Flysky FS-T6 2.4GHz 6CH Mode 2

and the

RC Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS Transmitter and 6CH Receiver (Mode 2)

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Advert

If you can find a club, they often have someone who has a Tx for sale, often with all the other gear and plane. If cost is a real consideration, then going second hard is worth considering, especially off someone in a club.

You can find local clubs via the BMFA web site -- **LINK** -- just enter your county. Plus you will also need a flying site.

Regarding radio gear, always consider the cost and availability of the receivers as well.

RC planes seem to be one of those hobbies where you are hooked, or just dabble and sell up, so spending a lot up front may not be worth while, unless your crazy like us.

Ray.

Dont buy a thing till you have visited a club.... then you can be sure that the brand you buy is one that can buddy up to your instructors TX and that there will be someone who knows that brand and can teach you how to program it

Brands to consider

Spektrum

Taranis

Hitek

Futaba

Agreed nowt wrong with JR either

The other thing to consider is dont buy a very low spec TX (unless its a freebie!) you will find (assuming the bug bites) that sooner or later you will want more than the basic 4 channels - so get something thats at least 6 channel and programable

Paul, as the others have said, before you spend your money check with your instructor as to which system they use, as they will be teaching you on a buddy system and your kit will need to be compatible. It makes life far more simple when you have the same systems.

The reality of it is that all systems are good, its just a case of preference and sticking to what you know really.

Whereabouts in the country are you Paul?

Cheers

CB

You need to fly the same Mode as the rest of the club. if you are the only person flying Mode 2 in a Mode 1 club then nobody can let you fly their model and nobody can grab your Tx if you get something in your eye etc. It's very inconvenient! Modes go in areas so find out what your local clubs use.

As everybody says use the same make as your instructor so a buddy lead will work but also so that other people know how to program your tx if necessary.

Second hand Spektrum DX6i from ebay around £50 cool

The receivers are cheaper than any of the other manufacturers, and there are some good clones out there (Orange RX) etc. to keep the costs even lower.

You might decide to be "different" and go with something else, but you'll just end up out of pocket and with the same features as the DX6i.

And getting the same model as the Instructor? Really? Then you'll just want to make sure he's not a Multiplex fan unless you plan on re-mortgaging your house to go flying. cheeky

It's not advisable to buy secondhand radio gear from unknown sources like EBay. You don't know how it's been treated. It may have been crashed, got wet etc etc. Reliability is everything in RC planes. A brand new DX6i with Rx can be bought for about 74 pounds so don't take a chance!

The Kings Lynn price is for Tx only ( no Rx ) while the TJD price is for Tx and Rx. Percy is right= most people say HH give excellent service ( HH means Horizon Hobby the Spektrum importers )

Note that the Spektrum DX6i seems to be an old but good model which has been replaced by a new black DX6 with 250 memories. DX6i will be fine unless you want the wireless trainer or 250 memories and a few other gismos of the new DX6. Buy only genuine Spektrum Rx from a proper dealer to avoid the many fake Spektrum Rx that seem to be sold.

Thanks for all the replies

There is a local club I intend on visiting and joining so hope to find out a bit more from some of their members.

I have plenty of time as I am at the wrong end of summer to get to much learning in this year so will probably have the winter to finalise equipment.

Still if I can get something on the go I might be able to catch a few calm days before the autumn wind hit us.

Thanks again for all the replies and help

Paul

Once you get a TX it might be an idea to invest in a good RC Flight Sim - they are not the real thing, but they are a good learning tool to get gping with (you can also have mad half hours and write off a few Spits without tears) - if you use it over the winter you should be off to a flying start next year

But then again we do fly in the winter too......

Pheonix is a good one, but there are others

Dont be coerced into anything you're not comfortable with Paul.
You dont have to use what your instructor uses and you dont have the use the same mode as everyone else.
You dont have to use a buddy lead, in fact you dont even have to have an instructor.
You dont have to learn on what is now commonly known as a 'trainer' model, there are much easier options.
Some seem to revel in making the whole toy plane thing seem more difficult than it really is!

/2p

Phil

Completely disagree with Phil. Getting assistance in learning to fly is the safest and cheapest option as trying to teach yourself will end in tears.
Having taught a dozen or so people in the last 5 years, virtually all would have struggled without a buddy box system of some sort.