Space in your car?

Foxfan

Advert

Posted by Tony K on 06/08/2015 21:59:52:

OK. What is so boring about the passat?

Having owned mine for around a year now the only fault I've found is... a complete lack of faults! Everything is where it should be and well screwed together, everything adjusts to exactly where you want it, loads of space, beautiful ride, excellent economy, it even goes round corners ok. In almost every way it's the best car I've ever owned (especially given I have two kids under 7), but it has no soul.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's just an appliance designed to hulk families and their gear (lots of it) from a to b as efficiently and effectively as possible. My previous car (a 96 Civic) was quite different - lots of flaws (no rear wiper and some horrendous blind spots in all directions the main ones) but it did have character, especially the slightly silly Buck Rogers style holographic dash. I was genuinely sad when I dropped off that car after 50k happy and reliable miles; I can't see I will ever feel that about the VW.

Edited By MattyB on 06/08/2015 23:06:57

My Passat driving was in 1997- 2000. Since then they may have improved, especially as those I worked on will have come out since that time<G>.

Did they ever produce the Passat CM2? The one with all the computers, where the kids could watch their films in the backs of the front head rests, with the fully touch screen dashboard, rotary monitor in the dashboard at the click of a switch, Palm computer in the dash that popped out to be used? You could 'phone it up, e-mail it, turn it's lights on from a distance and open its windows while you walked across the airport car park. That was one of mine. All the product of Englishmen with a couple of promising young German modelmakers. We built it in a converted squash court while we waited for the new studio to be built. As usual, it was completed a day before the Frankfurt Motor Show. Even the soft touch dashboard coating was English. A company in Glossop!

Happy days in a beautiful part of Germany, Hessen. I was made an honorary member of the local rifle club because one of the promising young Germans was the then current Konig von Shutzenverein.

Cheers,

MrTin

MrTin, you must have been in a similar line of work to me. I mainly worked for "Henry", in Cologne but as a launch engineer I got the chance to work in Saarlouis, Genk, and Valencia as well as Chennai (India) and Chongqing (China). Happy days indeed.

Tony,

nothing I could qualify with the name "engineer", but since I was always called "mekaniste", I guess similar, certainly.

I started as a "hard" modeller, making steering wheels, door handles , dashboards, etc. and went on to build all manner of mechanisms, because nobody else would take the challenge of designing an angled opening dash-top cubby hole lid, or a Palm computer transit system, working electric window switches, und, und, und. But then I realised the clay modellers were on a good few pounds and hour more than me for doing less, so I made some clay tools and made them look old and steamed into the next contract as a fully fledged clay modeller. That led to running the whole studio on the Hessen job.

But I worked at Koln for a while, not a pleasant experience for a guy who likes to get on with it as the Germans wouldn't let us even step into the workshop area and insisted on doing stuff with an SLS machine, even though we could hand make anything in an hour or two, they insisted on taking all day to draw it and all night to make it, so in the end we all left them to it, but the writing was on the wall about rapid prototyping.

I have several friends who still work for Henry, from engineers at Dunton, to a guy who runs design in Detroit.

MrTin

Posted by Percy Verance on 06/08/2015 19:55:43:

In which case I'll just have to chance dying of boredom, as I got this just a few weeks ago.....

Is that a Ford S-Max, with headlamp beam deflectors...? I think you've fitted them in the wrong position! (Unless the headlamp design has changed...) I've had my S-Max six years now and it's an excellent vehicle, not at all boring. Sure, I'd like a Jaguar XK, but...

The S-Max has huge carrying capacity, originally chosen because I need to carry lots of kit around the country or sometimes abroad; and because we've done an awful lot of long drives to Germany and France. In fact we're shortly doing our fifth return trip to France (Gard) in little more than a year. The driving position is great, the cabin spacious, the performance (1.8 diesel) is surprisingly pokey, and it still delivers overall 50mpg. It's been wholly reliable too. I'd seriously consider replacing it with another - the new S-Max is even better.

I don't know how people get on with small cars and model aeroplanes! I find it tricky carrying even one 6' wingspan glider in mine...

rgds Tony

It's amazing what mpg modern cars achieve. I was impressed by a friend's C-Max. It was a diesel, but you'd never know it inside. And my daughter-in-law's BMW M diesel was a rocket ship!

My daughter has just got a Jeep Grand Cherokee and not only does it tell you what direction you're travelling as you turn, but it has tyre pressure readings on all 5! So I guess you have to plug the spare in to something. Telemetry beyond the dreams of Jeti owners, eh? It'll be saying to her, "Box, box, next lap, Tammy, we have a problem with the rear brakes"!

Cheers,

MrTin

Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 07/08/2015 10:33:09:
Posted by Percy Verance on 06/08/2015 19:55:43:

In which case I'll just have to chance dying of boredom, as I got this just a few weeks ago.....

Is that a Ford S-Max, with headlamp beam deflectors...? I think you've fitted them in the wrong position! (Unless the headlamp design has changed...) I've had my S-Max six years now and it's an excellent vehicle, not at all boring. Sure, I'd like a Jaguar XK, but...

Focus estate, known as C346 within the company.

I was a member of the launch team in the Saarlouis plant, responsible for much of the interior trim.

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/08/2015 13:00:21:

Nope, not an S-Max, it's a Focus Zetec Estate. Nothing special, just does what I need it do do..... 1.0 litre engine, 6 speed gearbox, goes well. Nothing more to say really. There are no headlamp beam deflectors fitted. It's as it came from the dealer a few weeks back. All I've added to it are two tanks full of fuel since I bought it.........

Ah, my mistake, apol's - same general appearance. Thought I saw a black arrow-shaped sticker on the headlamp... The Focus family in general has a good reputation and I'd consider it - especially when getting older, downsize and all that. Trouble is, after driving big-ish Ford estates and now the S-Max one gets used to the long-distance comfort and load-carrying capacity. I dare say the Focus has even better fuel economy though. Might find out for myself if it turns out I can't afford an XK as my retirement present...

rgds Tony

We've just bought a year old Suzuki SX4 S-Cross. Got the 1.6 petrol as we only do around 10000 miles/year and didn't want diesel DPF or DMF complications. It's got great load space for models, with a nearly flat floor with the seats folded. Best of all, it easily returns high 40 mpg, with over 50 on a steady long run. Only £110 VED too.

Mine are size 11s and yet I fitted in the older Focus very comfortably. However, the 206CC seems indeed to be for the ladies (my wife who loved it most doesn't drive) as I have to wear the slimmest shoes I have or risk pressing both brake and throttle and the rest on the left just gets in the way of the clutch foot, but these are minor niggles and I'm almost used to even the lacklustre gearbox now after a decent run today, top down, in the sunshine. The roadholding and flat cornering are superb and great fun.

Focus-wise, I was so impressed by the quietness of the car. I kept forgetting to put it into 5th, because you really couldn't tell, just by listening, what gear you were in, just tyre rumble.

I think that's the most significant improvement in recent years after fuel consumption.

MrTin

Posted by Donald Fry on 07/08/2015 20:39:32:

Sorry ladies, but we are talking about modern boxes with motors attached. They all go. You replace a bulb every year or so. Excite me, entertain me, or keep me awake.

There's probably a repeat of Top Gear showing somewhere in the channel lists at present, Don...wink 2

Meanwhile, back in the real world.....smile

Pete

Its a shame when one of the main design criteria is "Will it fit in the boot?", followed by "Should I have a detachable fin?". After taking these questions into account for my 206cc, it is still an annoyance to have to put the roof back up in order to extract the model from the boot.

Small feet are required for the pedal box, which is one of the reasons I opted for the auto version, the other being that the gearbox is german (it swops cogs faster than I can, as well). Beware of putting items in the rear seats, there's a lot of buffeting there, and some things might take flight sooner than anticipated.

I think perhaps separate wings will have to do with this car, or carefully loaded between the seats without a passenger. The fuse. will have to go on the back seats, but thanks for the warning about turbulence.

I guess I'll just have to build accordingly.

The Ugly Stik will fit in the boot and be withdrawable even with the roof down.

SWMBO loves it so much that's the deal!

MrTin

Posted by Foxfan on 06/08/2015 11:35:39:

Hi all, the Mrs. has just fallen in love with a Peugeot 206CC and we've replaced the Focus with it!

No more collecting greenhouses in component form in this baby!

And probably going to be difficult to transport the Super 60 in it too, even with the roof down. Oh dear!

I'll find a way, but no 1/4 scales for me

Cheers,

MrTin

Edited By Foxfan on 06/08/2015 11:36:11

Go shopping on your own one day and sneak home a Volvo V70.You will both be happy then smiley

I would have poo-pood you a while back, Doc, but I actually worked for Volvo in Gothenborg in 2001 and derived a new respect for the marque, but the V70 would be way too big for us. The overwhelming number of journeys for us are less than 8 miles each way, including the flying field.

MrTin

I recall the new owners of Volvo...Ford, sending over their big wigs to introduce the then big new thing..."Craftsmanship", they called it, to the good Swedes. They took one look around at the staggeringly high level of prototypes and workmanship and just said the car equivalent of "ah, jolly good, carry on Hoskins". Having worked for BMW too, I can say that Volvo were building prototypes at a level I'd never seen before. Carbon fibre doors and other panels of actual tin thickness, so that shut lines and locks were in a real environment, not 4mm of GRP, like VW, Audi and BMW, to mention a few.

I was working on the S40, which is basically a Focus with a more solid looking body on it. I went over the canteen for our usual 4pm coffee and Ice cream and saw all the TVs going mad with 9/11 as it quickly got called.

Seems so long ago.

MrTin