First ever flight

Zinzan

Advert

Posted by Peter Christy on 09/09/2015 08:40:00:

I think a lot of people forget how they got started in this hobby! Like the OP, I too had my first flight solo, and that was 50 years ago! There wasn't anyone around to teach or advise, we just got on with it! 10 years later, I was doing the same with helicopters - again, no-one around to help or advise, if you wanted to do it, you just got on with it.

Of course, there are provisos! My initial flights were well away from civilisation, where there was little chance of an accident causing any damage or injury. I could already fly control-line, so I had some modelling nous. And those early single channel models were little more than "radio affected" rather than "radio controlled". But so what? The sense of achievement was enormous, and probably one reason why I've stuck with the hobby for so long.

As long as the pilot is sensible about things, and chooses his equipment and site sensibly, then I see no problem. It would certainly be a lot easier today than it was in those far-off times.

Of course, if he had been some idiot trying to fly a scale Spitfire in a public park without any training, then it would be another matter. But from the post, it seems he did things sensibly and learned a lot from his experience.

Good for him, I say!

--

Pete

Well said Pete.

Posted by Dave Allen 2 on 08/09/2015 20:52:12:

I'm beginning to regret making the post. Suffice to say I'll not be posting again to this forum if this is how you treat a newbie. We all make mistakes sometimes.

There were a total of six posts between your original one and this one. Of those, two were complimentary, three were encouraging but giving sensible advice and only one was perhaps slightly negative. We can only respond to what you put in your post, as you haven't yet set up a profile. On the face of it you appear to have adopted a mature approach to your first flight, but your attitude since has not been mature. What sort of response were you expecting? It seems to me that you've spat your dummy out of the pram because everybody hasn't shouted "Oh what a clever boy!" As you say everybody makes mistakes. The purpose of this forum is to allow model flyers to communicate with each other to provide support, encouragement and ADVICE to each other. You don't have to accept all the advice, that's not possible as lots of it will be contradictory, but accept that it is offered in good faith and with your interests at heart.

As a nearly 70 year old novice & relatively new member here I feel for Dave. It's pretty obvious he did what he thought was the right thing & if his fellow new club members are anything like some of the seemingly pompous who replied here I can well understand his reluctance to debut in front of anyone.

I ventured along to my local club a few years ago & the 'welcome' I got means I now go it alone.

If you want to encourage new folk into this hobby cut 'em some slack. Not everyone is a moron, would be, drone flyer & most people respond to & are gratefull for gentle suggestions.

Well, I reckon that should have taught some of the "by the book" die hards a very simple lesson in forumese. You can advise all of the correct ideals, but putting it in such a way as to not scare the "bejesus" out of a newbie takes a bit of finesse, which is not always translated in the written word. I do hope Dave hasn't been scared away, becuase I'm sure all the comments were meant in good faith, and all very sensible.

Well said vic. Poor lad was just trying to share his experience with like minded people and for the most part here, just got demotivating abuse. To be honest, if that were me, I would not come back on here either after some of those comments. Hopefully Dave comes back and shares his experiences here. I like hearing and seeing others model flying experiences on this forum.

There was a thread on this site about why we are so verbally aggressive. I think that the way Dave was treated was shameful in as much as all he was doing was flying a toy in a big field, on his own, and broke his propeller. I think we should have a much more careful think, before we pontificate in public. Or, if the mouth before brain reflex is too strong expect the riposte to be proportionate, but that way lies verbal warfare. But to reiterate, I was ashamed to be part of a group that treated that babe in arms in such a cruel and patronising way.

Posted by Steveflys on 08/09/2015 19:10:11:

Training???

As safety officer for our club I would have taken a very dim view of you turning up unsupervised for your first flight.

I would suggest that you were very lucky to get away with a broken prop and not possibly have hit someone or something. I certainly don't want to quash your enthusiasm as it's a brilliant hobby, but it is fraught with danger and has to be treated with respect.

I urge you to get some training, you'll really benefit from it.f

Good luck for the future.

Yes you've been a very naughty boy devil

Now write the following line a thousand times:

"Polystyrene is very dangerous"

Grabs bag of popcorn and sits back to enjoy the backlash.....

To quote Monty Python, "This is getting silly"!

I've looked very carefully at the six posts between the OP's initial post and what would seem to be his last offering. I can see no evidence of abuse, nor of any "cruel and patronising" remarks. To me they all seem to be sensible, thoughtful responses to his message, written by members who obviously wish him well, but some of whom have reservations about the wisdom of his actions. After just six posts, and in less than two hours, he has taken umbrage and announced his intention to take no further part in the forum. That of course is his right, but it is also the right of those other members to comment on others peoples post, within the bounds of decency and respect. I don't think their posts exceeded those bounds, as I said earlier they seemed to me to be sincere advice which their posts intended to help and encourage a newbie.

I quite agree John Howes, a lump of polystyrene being dragged along at twenty to thirty miles an hour by a sharp blade rotating at about ten thousand r.p.m. is very dangerous!

There is another aspect to this that hasn't yet been mentioned. This forum is watched by a great number of non-members, who take no active part but who do read the posts. Do we really want to create the impression that it is perfectly acceptable for a novice to turn up at the club field and fly without any sort of supervision? I can't imagine that there are many clubs that would condone such behaviour. Unfortunately even minor incidents which some years ago would have been regarded as just slightly reprehensible can now result in the loss of a flying field. As one of my clubs knows only too well, finding a replacement is no easy task.

One final question. When this thread first appeared the initial post was attributed to "Dave Allen 2". It now seems to have been created by somebody who goes under the name of "Zinzan". Am I missing something?

Maybe he doesn't like his name anymore? Very funny comedian whilst I agree that nothing untoward was said but I personally feel that it was just how it was implied/typed ? Nobody wants to be "told" what to do and how to do it. I agree the advice was sensible and should be heeded but shouldn't we as modellers and experienced users be a bit more errrrmmm what's the word ? Understanding? Yeah maybe that's the right word. I know I was unfortunate not to have understanding club members when I joined. As I said before, insurance is the main thing to consider (necessity). I know there are a lot of sensible , forthcoming and very helpful peeps on here but maybe (my opinion again) we should just be a little bit "nicer" to noobs. Not the if you did that at my club approach sort of comment ? But this is how we do things ?

Tony

Posted by cymaz on 08/09/2015 19:47:27:

One of the biggest lessons you learn from having an experienced instructor is knowing .....

When not to fly.....this seems to have been the case. You will learn this with experience and help

I have no intention of being insulting, deflamatory, degrading or a general bad mouth...I was passing on what I considered good sound advice from my instructor .

If he takes it as a telling off, that's his right. I stand by my post.

I too stand by my post - should we have advised him "Yeah carry on, the only way you will learn is too fly in wind conditions that exceed your experience, and you'll probably wont have a fly away or hit anyone when you crash"

Sorry but taking off with ANY aircraft carries with it certain responsibilities and I feel it behoves ALL of us to point that out

Dave Hopkin, I accept your point, but look at your tone of your first post of 19:20:05, and you sound like an inter (second world war) martinet. And look at your post of 20:21:26, and the tone is as from a different person, perhaps with a little more time to reflect on your comments. Cymas, I accept your point entirely. P.S., after this spat, if we were closer, you would still have lending rights on my machine tools.

Posted by Donald Fry on 10/09/2015 19:32:30:

Dave Hopkin, I accept your point, but look at your tone of your first post of 19:20:05, and you sound like an inter (second world war) martinet. And look at your post of 20:21:26, and the tone is as from a different person, perhaps with a little more time to reflect on your comments. Cymas, I accept your point entirely. P.S., after this spat, if we were closer, you would still have lending rights on my machine tools.

I said I stand by my post and I still do - When action through ignorance and inexperience pose real safety issues then I dont see any real room for compromise - If there had been an accident involving a 3rd party as he was a club member (I assume) flying from the club field unsupervised then that would put him, the club and its field in a very difficult position

The tenor of the modelflyerites replies is understandable if we consider what COULD have happened. I guess it should have been "More in Sorrow than Anger" but ----- Small foam flying object with rapidly rotating knives on the front - travelling downwind at, by now some speed, attempts to occupy space already occupied by walker / horse +/- rider / grazing livestock (delete as appropriate). Never mind, he's a club member and he's insured. BUT, fair chance that they might lose the site. That's why we get edgy - as anyone knows who have been in the Hobby for a year or two know - flying fields can be hard to find, and correspondingly easy to lose (landlords like the income but don't want grief from their neighbours - and it sometimes only takes one!)

Irresponsible flying loses flying sites. That's why some of us might have come across as a bit grumpy!