Hitec Flash 8

Hi Pilots i have just been treated to Hitec Flash 8smiley by my heart

I have had the Hitec sport 6 for years now and never let me down but with 2 servos for aileron 2 servos for flaps with a total of 7 servo, y leads here and there one with reverse built so that one servo can be reversed ,servo slow from HB to slow the flaps and so on the amount of wires was unbelievable all on a 6 channels receiver. Now 2 extra channel might not be a lot to some of you but to me is like been propelled in to another dimension. Bean able to play with each servos how I want is something else ​

This to me is going to be a big leap and hopefully a easy one

I have read the article by Mr Ashby and I was impress for what you get for you money and if is good enough for Mr Ashby is good enough for me.

I notice that the is no tread for it so I would like to create one with you help as the Flash 8 is probably same in programing the basic as the Flash 7

I have never hade this type of radio in my life moved from Futaba F6 35mzh to Hitec Sport witch is nearly the same for basic programs but this is something else.

As any body got one.

What do you make it of it.

Is it easy to program/understating. Any hint and tips!

Hi Giuseppe

Just got one myself, I had a Pro 7 that developed an difficult to trace fault so lost confidence in it. I have other models with optima rx so went for Flash 8 hope my choice is justified. Manual is making for bedtime reading its thick enough to be a novel, just doing step by step as suggested in the instructions,then will try with a old trainer to check the feel.

Last night I put the Optima Rx in my Electric bobber and then try the HK 3 axy gyro and is all fine ready for the week to try.

At the same time I discovered that all of my Minima receivers are not compatible whit the HK 3 axi Gyro only the Optima receiver are compatible (mystery solved).

Tonight I will set up my Big bobber to with incidentally I will put in the multiplex 3 axys gyro

All this so far on the basic settings once I finish reading the book I am going to play with the advance settings

So far so good and very pleased with itsmiley

• 6 months later...

Just been helping my mate move his mpx Heron glider from a Hitec Optic 6 TX to his brand new Flash 8 TX. Well the instruction manual is not very clear in many areas and can be misleading, but once I got used to whether to just push the buttons or push and hold and when to use the jog dial we were on our way. Once the basics were in my old head it's a matter of trial and error and avoid sliding back down the learning curve.

I am came to this forum looking for some helpful info. It's a lovely TX and we were just getting grips with it when SWMBO called to say dinner was on the table. We've just got to set up crow (butterfly) braking on a slider and camber somewhere then D/R, expo, EPA etc, etc.

Anyone know if the servo adjustments can be made whilst transmitting so one can see the results live on the model because it seems we have to select "no" "not ready to transmit" before adjusting servos etc.?

Also we didn't seem to be able to use model memory no.1 It always jumped to the next memory. Settled for memory no.2 which was OK. Strange??

• 11 months later...

I have recently replaced my Hitec Eclipse 7 with a Flash 8. I bought the Eclipse because it offered many glider options including the facility to have flaps acting as ailerons. I expected the F8 to have this facility too but am unable to determine how to achieve this function, unlike on the Eclipse where it was specifically offered.

Is anyone able to help, please?

Tony

Posted by Bill Wood on 24/04/2016 18:44:30:

Just been helping my mate move his mpx Heron glider from a Hitec Optic 6 TX to his brand new Flash 8 TX. Well the instruction manual is not very clear in many areas and can be misleading, but once I got used to whether to just push the buttons or push and hold and when to use the jog dial we were on our way. Once the basics were in my old head it's a matter of trial and error and avoid sliding back down the learning curve.

I am came to this forum looking for some helpful info. It's a lovely TX and we were just getting grips with it when SWMBO called to say dinner was on the table. We've just got to set up crow (butterfly) braking on a slider and camber somewhere then D/R, expo, EPA etc, etc.

Anyone know if the servo adjustments can be made whilst transmitting so one can see the results live on the model because it seems we have to select "no" "not ready to transmit" before adjusting servos etc.?

Also we didn't seem to be able to use model memory no.1 It always jumped to the next memory. Settled for memory no.2 which was OK. Strange??

Hi Bill - I don't have the Flash, I have the Aurora 9, but from what you've described, somethings seem fairly similar.

You can see the adjustments live as long as you select YES to transmit. It would be very difficult to adjust control surface movement of any kind without doing this.

As you have a motor on the Heron, I am assuming you are using the stick for throttle control? So selecting a slider for crow would be preferential over a switch, IMO. I have in the past set up my A9 so that the motor is on a switch and crow on the stick, and in fact that did work very well. All I needed was full throttle to get me up to height and then switch it off to begin gliding.

I don't know how Flash deals with camber. The A9 has its own setting for this so that both ailerons and flap can be cambered or reflexed.

Steve

A470soaring

Camber changes can be done on all control surfaces, also

The choices for Normal wing types are:

1AILE: Single aileron servo 1AILE+1FLAP: Single aileron servo and single flap servo 1AILE+2FLAP: Single aileron servo channel and two flap servos 2AILE: Two aileron servos 2AILE+1FLAP: Two aileron servos and one flap servo 2AIL+2FLAP: Two aileron servos and two flap servos

Additionally there are setups for Delta (Elevon) wing type models: 2AILE: Two elevon servos 2AILE+1FLAP: Two elevon servos and one flap servo 2AILE+2FLAP: Two elevon servos and two flap servos

Edited By Denis Watkins on 20/04/2017 19:17:46

Oh no, that's a bummer. I'm sure the Eclipse did that.

I'd be lost without my aileron/flap mix. I guess that means that if you set up snap flap, the ailerons don't mix in as well? Which would be like the Eclipse also. Or thermal and speed flap using flight conditions, only the flaps would move.sad

I'm just waiting to see the new 14 ch offering from Hitec to see what technical offerings come with it. For me, that would be a decent telemetry system, where the TX speaks to let you know your height in conjunction with a vario. I miss this when I head to the flat field with my thermal soarers, and not that I'd use all 14 channels

Hi Anthony, your post promoted me to read up on the ail/flap mix and the discussions are not clear cut.

The belief is that the outer 1/4 of the aileron does all the work and anything inboard has negligible effect unless they are deployed in the same direction as crow/or flap.

So flap goes inboard all up or all down as always, and effective outboard ailerons, in opposite direction as always

This could be why the prolific glider guiders are so quiet on this issue, maybe they don't see the benefits of ail/flap

I think any glider guider used to flying a full house glider knows the benefit of mixing flap into aileron, and they do use it. I know all the guys I fly with most certainly do, and in fact they will use just about every mix available to them that their TX will allow.

My new Valenta L213A rolls so much better, much more axially, with a good dose of flap mixed in, and I too use every aileron/flap mix available.

Ahhh, the fun of trying to find elaborate workarounds to make big brand radios do what you want, mainly because their marketing department ordered the engineers to cripple the software to protect the sales of the next model up... I do not miss that! 

#OpenTXrules laugh

Edited By MattyB on 20/04/2017 23:24:18

• 9 months later...

Flash 8 crow programme ! I have a motor glider with 2ailes & one servo operating both flaps.I need the flaps plus ailes & elevator to operate on the left stick progressively. The stick is ok for the flaps, but the other controls only operate on switch B, off or on .

I have another glider with 2 Flap servos & the full house system works perfectly !?

Any help gratefully received. Thanks Tim

• 9 months later...

I have just upgraded from a Hitec Optic 6 tranny to a Flash 8. I am trying to convert some of my models to the Flash 8, but I cannot get the servos to stop buzzing when they come to the end of travel. I noticed that the EPA's were set at 150 and 100. I have tried adjusting the EPA's, with no effect. Can anybody help

Cheers the noo

Posted by Alexander Tough on 19/11/2018 16:01:51:

I have just upgraded from a Hitec Optic 6 tranny to a Flash 8. I am trying to convert some of my models to the Flash 8, but I cannot get the servos to stop buzzing when they come to the end of travel. I noticed that the EPA's were set at 150 and 100. I have tried adjusting the EPA's, with no effect. Can anybody help

Cheers the noo

Have a look at page 26 of the manual

5. Scroll to highlight the “L/U” (left/up) field and press the jog dial
to activate the menu.
6. Rotate the jog dial to increase (clockwise) or decrease
(counter-clockwise) the desired left (AILE, RUDD) or up (ELEV)
servo endpoint. Press the jog dial to confirm your input.
7. Scroll to highlight the “R/D” (right/down) field and press the
jog dial to activate the menu.
8. Rotate the jog dial to increase (clockwise) or decrease
(counter-clockwise) the desired right (AILE, RUDD) or down
(ELEV) servo endpoint. Press the jog dial to confirm your input.
9. Scroll to highlight the right “LIMIT” field and press the jog
dial to activate the menu. This field defines the maximum servo
travel that can be set in the “right/down” direction. The value
shown is a percentage of standard servo travel (the default limit
is 150%).
10. Rotate the jog dial to increase (clockwise) or decrease
(counter-clockwise) the desired “left/up” servo limit. Press the jog
dial to confirm your input.
11. Press the back button the return to the EPA menu.
12. Repeat steps 2-11 for each channel you would like to adjust.
13. Press the back button to return to the model menu.

If that isn't sufficient, search the PDF manual for "servo travel", it's mentioned in a number of instances.