Maxford USA Mentor G V3

iqon

First let me start by saying this is a petrol trainer, so if the mods want to move elsewhere, please feel free to do so.....wink

This is described as a basic trainer, but its also aerobatic trainer.

Wingspan = 83", Length =60", Flying weight11.6lb,Engine = 20cc to 30cc.

Everything arrived well packaged, taped to the box, no chance of anything moving.

First impressions - undercarriage looks very strong, wing tube feels heavy, covering looks excellent.

But wait, next day on further investigating, Only 2 of the 6 undercarriage holes have been drilled all the way through,decals on wing dont line up and that is going to annoy me. Quality of fitting could have been better. Have now found that the bolts for axle`s are short and wing bolts are just long enough.....Nothing that cant be sorted...Didnt take long to have vertical and horizontal stabs fitted

002.jpg

003.jpg

5.jpg

Advert

All of tail end glued on.......including this confusing bit

001.jpg

A V3 kit with a V2 rudder ???...problem soon sorted by removing sticker....apparently wrong sticker put on...having done some checking up it`s true......

There is a choice of 1 or 2 servo elevators, was going for 2 to help with balance but decided on just the 1 as the elevators have already been cut and drilled for joiner and seam to be a perfect fit as long as I can leave in place for a few hours . Also fitted tail wheel to rudder at same time. Notice the CA hinges, must be the way they do them in USA.

4.jpg

Now that the Elevators and rudder are fitted it looks massive.

7.jpg

I recommend you add some strut braces between the lower fuz and the tips of the tail. This model was reviewed in another magazine and the tail fell to bits when recovering from a loop resulting in the loss of the model.

It might have been a one off, but its not worth taking the chance.

All done, ready for maiden ....forecast not so good for next few days......seams to be built very strong, well thought out, easy to put together.....

only negatives I have found - axle bolts short, wing bolts short and would have been better with better fittings.......

tank is in almost the same position,..retainer fitted to rear of tank.Thanks Percy........

• 1 year later...

Iqon,

I'm building one of these. Can I ask a few questions?

What engine? Any nose weight needed? Did you brace the tail; if so, how?

Mine is at the stage of rear servos and closed loops fitted but not connected as I don't want the tail glued in till the engine (a borrowed Zenoah 25cc) is fixed and plumbed. I will brace the tail and am wrestling with carbon tube as it will only be needed on the upper surface and previous experience with wire was unsatisfactory. Fixings with enough tensile strength are a bit awkward though.

Has your u/c been up to it; any other tips/mods whilst mine is still in bits?