Windows 10

Erfolg

I am having an issue with the windows 10 Power settings.

I have set them to screen shut down after 10 minutes and the computer to go into the sleep mode after 30 minutes.

The problem is that neither happen.

I have looked for a switch somewhere to activate or disable this feature, as yet i cannot find one.

Can anyone help?

Advert

I upgraded to Windows 10 last Friday Evening all went well and worked on it on Saturday no problems getting used to the new layouts but by Sunday morning had to make the decision to revert back to 8.1. For some reason and trawling the web pages for fixes I was unable to send any E Mails, Guess my 3 year old Acer was not up to it

I'm suffering from the same problem. I have the screen set to switch off after an hour, and sometimes it works, but more often than not it doesn't.

@RCPlaneflier. I know it's a bit late now, but this is a well documented Windows 10 problem (usually with Outlook), a quick google would have shown that it is a relatively simple fix.

Steve

Edited By Essjay on 30/10/2015 16:23:21

Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 30/10/2015 13:39:13:

I upgraded to Windows 10 last Friday Evening all went well and worked on it on Saturday no problems getting used to the new layouts but by Sunday morning had to make the decision to revert back to 8.1. For some reason and trawling the web pages for fixes I was unable to send any E Mails, Guess my 3 year old Acer was not up to it

Are you using Outlook for your emails? If so then it's a common issue and I'd have thought the Win10 upgrade would have been tweaked by now to avoid the problem, but apparently not!

The fix is easy to find with a brief bit of 'googling'. On 'googling' "outlook not sending windows 10, the first 'hit' is this. Quoting from there;

To recover from the issue, you must run the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker tool, also know as “System File Checker” or “sfc”. This tool scans and verifies the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct versions.

1. Right click on the Start button of Windows and choose: Command Prompt (Admin).
    • If you don’t see this, instead choose: Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  2. Behind the prompt type: sfc /scannow
    (note the space in the command)
  3. Wait until the process completes. This usually doesn’t take longer than 20 minutes with a regular hard disk and takes much shorter when you have a fast SSD drive.
  4. Restart your computer.

Of course, if you're not using Outlook let us know what you are using and somebody probably has the answer.

Updated a laptop from Win 7 to Win 10 today and emails seem to be working OK in Outlook without any additional steps needed.

Apart from a slightly different look the only noticeable change with 10 so far is the laptop taking about three times as long to start up!

Dick

OK thanks - just tried a defrag and made no difference. Seems that a long wait with a black screen is not an uncommon bug at W10 startup. Perhaps they will come up with a fix eventually - or I may just "upgrade" back to 7.

At least my Outlook email works.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 02/11/2015 10:14:15