car stereo's

Phil 9

I am not sure if anyone can help me with this one but I have a Vauxhall zafira with a CD 30 stereo it has a radio and a single cd player but I would love to be able to play tunes from an Ipod.

I have used a fm link but it was poor

So I am probably looking for a new headset but being a vauxhal I would like it to work with the steering wheel controls and the separate display unit. also being xmas I am not looking to spend a foryune

Advert

Hi Phil

what year is your zafira ? if its pre 2007 its not looking good for a direct aux input

if its post 2008 have you looked down by the handbrake as some had an aux input socket fitted there

also is it a CD30 or a CD30mp3 ? i had vauxhalls for years and trying to find an after market head unit and keep the dash display and steering wheel controls is a nightmare you could also try .....

www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk

www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk as after all the zafira is based on the astra

www.vxronline.co.uk

hope you get it sorted

re: the fm link i assume you've tried it all over the car to try and get the best signal with least interference ? I currently use one in my landrover was only a couple of quid off amazon and the quality varies greatly depending on where i put it also try to find an fm frequency that isn't used by a radio station.

Andy

If you get a new Zafira head unit, don't forget that the screen and the unit are a matched pair. If you want all the radio function on the screen, if it were me, see a dealer.

I was lucky and got a matched pair off eBay that were taken out of the donor car correctly.

Andy thanks for the reply

the car is 2010 with a plain old cd 30 not the MP3 version and no sign of a aux socket

ref the fm link I can get it to work ok at the start of the journey but on the long drives I want to use it for you always get interference from radio stations on the way and it is not something you can re tune on the move so it gets a little frustrating

Posted by cymaz on 21/11/2015 14:03:03:

If you get a new Zafira head unit, don't forget that the screen and the unit are a matched pair. If you want all the radio function on the screen, if it were me, see a dealer.

I was lucky and got a matched pair off eBay that were taken out of the donor car correctly.

that is the simple answer, I am sure a dealer can sort me out hassle free with everything I want however all that comes at a price but as with most things the less expensive solution needs more work and research from me. but a matched headset and display from ebay could be a good solution if I get it right but get it wrong and you just wasted your money

If the seller states its a matched pair then they should work. If they don't then it's a case of seller misrepresentation and a claim could be filed. The screen and unit are easy to fit. I followed a guy from YouTube ( I cannot exactly remember but if I could do it you know it won't be hard).

A magnetic tray, magnetic head screwdrivers and a decent miniature socket set are a must!

Something like this might fit your needs...these  are always coming up for sale? I'm sure the Astra and Zafira are the same size...but double check on the zafira forums.

Edited By cymaz on 21/11/2015 16:30:11

Edited By cymaz on 21/11/2015 16:31:17

Edited By cymaz on 21/11/2015 16:33:51

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 21/11/2015 16:54:29:

Before you go to far with replacing the stereo have you seen if the CD player will play mp3s, the one on my wifes car will (an 04 Colt), so basically you just burn your mp3s onto a CD (don't convert them) and it will then play them just fine. You can get a lot of mp3 files on a CD.

I thought you may have hit on a good idea there but I just tried it and no it will not work. I can burn normal cd's that will play but then you can only fit 8 or 9 tracks on a disk

Might be worth looking at the back of the head unit to see if it has an aux input as it may be possible to buy the aux input cable as an accessory.

Modifying sound systems in modern cars is a nightmare trying to achieve compatibility with remote controls and displays. It seems to me that aftermarket manufacturers have missed a trick here, particularly with no CANBUS support etc. You would think by now you could buy a Sony, Kenwood,Pioneer or whatever and just select VW, Vauxhall, Ford etc. In the menu and have it work correctly.

Shaunie.

I have an old 98 Merc 230K estate and a couple of years back one channel went pear shaped on the factory fit Blaupunkt stereo so I had to replace it. I got a £70 JVC head from Halfords, previously I played music from my ipod via an FM device but as you say on long distance runs interference always crept in. Now with the JVC I bluetooth all my music from my phone, not only that it does have a jack plug should I wish to use an ipod which is seldom these days, there's also a USB socket on the fascia as well and the hands free works well with the phone and mutes the stereo and auto answers an incoming call ,all for £70+. All that said I don't have the issues of a compatible screen and steering wheel controls.

Posted by Shaunie on 21/11/2015 18:21:54:

Might be worth looking at the back of the head unit to see if it has an aux input as it may be possible to buy the aux input cable as an accessory.

Shaunie.

this is what I plan to do next. I am just waiting for some ebay removal keys