Cheep balsa kit for a 6 year old

Propprop

Advert

Hi Propprop! Welcome to the forum.

If you're both looking for a nice beginner friendly kit Westwings do a few nice aircraft. There's the Beguine which is a sturdy little slow flier then the fantastic and very easy to build Orion-E. Both are cheap and the kits are very good. You'll need a transmitter, receiver, motor & prop. Two micro servos, battery and charger. As these are very simple models you won't require any fancy radio system. Altogether either could be flying with as little as ?120. Though really depends on your transmitter and receiver choice.

One other thing I forgot was covering. I prefer iron on though that was my grandpa's preference. There's sticky backed film too. I'm sure there will be alot of other recommendations to,

Good luck and happy building/flying

Scott

Just go buy some 1/8 balsa sheet and a length of spruce strip from your lma, download a plan for a simple free flight Chuck glider from outerzone or similar site. A couple of hours of building, then let him decorate it with felt tip pens before setting off to the park for hours of cheap fun. Nipper will get plenty of running about chasing it, a simple introduction into flight and you will both have fun and great bonding time all for about fiver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited By Andy G. on 30/11/2015 08:19:03

Pity the old North Pacific 'Sleek Streaks' are no longer around. I think they used to be half a week's pocket money for the smaller one (1/3d) and a full week's money for, IIRC, a larger version at around half a crown (Skeeter ?). They were great fliers and were a step up from the six-penny plastic catapult deltas that all the newsagents and toy shops sold at the time.

I also recall that the Sleek Streak had the legend "Bend Oregon" on the tailplane and it was only later that I realised it was a place (where the kits were made) rather than an instructionlaugh

Just came across this.........**LINK**

Crumbs, they are a blast from the past - had loads of them. the balsa was definately ungraded quality, and the red plastic wing-joiner always split first! good fun though. nerd

I think when you are starting you need stuff like these or the bmfa planes to get you used to the notion of trimming a model out and what makes them fly without the heartache of seeing your pride and joy turn into matchsticks due to forgetting to fit the cofg in the excitement of the first flight!

Cheers for the link, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 30/11/2015 10:19:19

When I was about 9 years old every Saturday morning I would go to a shop in Nottingham called Beecrofts . I had 2/6d pocket money and on many occasions bought a pack of "offcuts" of balsa sheet (sometimes two ) costing 11d.I would desgn my own models build and fly them in the field on a slope behind my home .Cutting a very very long story short, I am now 72 and still building.Unfortunately due to such a full life of just about building/rebuilding everything I ever needed (cars/houses/families/you name it )after an initial career as a RR service/performance engineer and then musician/entertainer whilst still modelling (all day off) I am now considering selling up as I am no longer as mobile as I was .Hope you don't mind me rambling on BUT I must say that the happiest times were when I got to grips with the basics of flying the "hard " way .I know for a fact that many forumites have lived similar experiences and that we would all say Good Luck with encouraging your 6 year old with balsa .

(PS He will just love the smell of balsa cement as well )

Grumpy Myron

Myron: I knew Beecrofts well. It was on Pelham St which, as my step-mother used to say, was behind big Boots. It was more of a toy shop and I used to save up to buy marrionettes for my model theatre which was a passion of mine in the early 1950s.. However most of my money was spent at Redmayne and Todds for model railway stuff. Is it still there? I haven't wandered around Nottingham for a year or two.

I used to buy 7d chuck gliders from the local toy shop. Not sure if they were balsa or cardboard or even a mixture of both.

Geoff