BEB, go sit in the corner and smack your forehead for a bit, that's about as useful as your first post. Might I recommend 'Capitalism for Dummies' for some light reading? Welcome to the real world: Profitieren uber alles.

Edited By Monz on 13/12/2015 22:15:47

Advert

If people get as far as discovering the aircraft on the Tesco website they'll soon be doing one of 3 things. Returning them, selling them on or throwing them away.

Once they realise that on top of the £145 they will then need to purchase the necessary radio system, of which they won't understand, plus a motor set or engine, which then leads to chargers, starters, fuel, glow sticks and Lipos etc, they'll soon give up.

Then they'll have to assemble the aircraft, and those of us who have assembled the Wot family of aircraft will know that its not that straightforward for those of us who got a good handle on it, never mind a complete novice.

I'd like to think that they'll get so far and then seek out a club and do it the correct way but equally there will be many who sell, throw or return.....Now thats a new BBC daytime show in the making.

Posted by ChrisB on 13/12/2015 22:46:23:

If people get as far as discovering the aircraft on the Tesco website they'll soon be doing one of 3 things. Returning them, selling them on or throwing them away.

Once they realise that on top of the £145 they will then need to purchase the necessary radio system, of which they won't understand, plus a motor set or engine, which then leads to chargers, starters, fuel, glow sticks and Lipos etc, they'll soon give up.

Then they'll have to assemble the aircraft, and those of us who have assembled the Wot family of aircraft will know that its not that straightforward for those of us who got a good handle on it, never mind a complete novice.

I'd like to think that they'll get so far and then seek out a club and do it the correct way but equally there will be many who sell, throw or return.....Now thats a new BBC daytime show in the making.

Absolutely thumbs up

I do appreciate the concerns re these apparently being flogged by Tesco but (as has already been said) it's not as if they are available off the shelf in your local supermarket, and the chances of a total novice successfully sourcing and buying - never mind putting together - enough of the rest of the gubbins essential to get anywhere near ready for take off are vanishingly small

Posted by ChrisB on 13/12/2015 22:46:23:

Absolutely, and traditional model shops have never ever sold a beginner an unsuitable model have they.

As I previously stated i have very few concerns that a non model shop is retailing modelling products. I purchase the majority of my stuff from non modelling shop outlets. They have made modelling affordable for me.

I also agree with ChrisB with respect to why any models sourced via this route will either never take to the skies, or if they do, it will because the purchase is for a modeller.

Perhaps one of the well established retail trade can use this sales outlet, to provide a far better retailing experience for purchasers. My reservations are about retailers who could be little better than street vendors, with all the implied baggage associated with  sales by this method.

As for denigrating seeking a profit, why not a profit, there has to be some motivating reason, beyond just love of what you do as this does not pay the bills.

I am personally not to bothered about the BMFA, beyond that they can act as a means of finding a club, insurance, if the purchaser is not involved with modelling, nice, not a must have.  I am a little dubious about the concept having pages on safety and responsibilities. Just because I know when i buy a power tool, television and so on, I miss out the first 40 pages of bottom protecting paper for the supplier and cut to how to operate and adjust the item. Which is the same for terms and conditions, not only boring, but mostly deliberately incomprehensible.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/12/2015 16:40:43

Edited By Erfolg on 14/12/2015 16:42:54