Graupner MZ24 vs Hitec Aurora

AVC

Hi

I know this is one of those topics where there's no single answer, but even though...

I have a Futaba 8FG which has recently suffered a domestic accident. I don't know how much the repair will cost, but just in case I've started looking for suitable alternatives.

So far, I have narrowed the search to the Graupner MZ24 and the Hitec Aurora. The thing is that I've always used Futaba so I have no experience with any of the those two brands, so if anyone out there could advise I'd appreciate.

Just to clarify, telemetry is not my main priority, although I think that both offer a good array of such functions. I'm mainly interested on reliability and support (official service, upgrades, etc...).

Thanks!

Advert

hello AVC..i used Futaba radio for 20+years...and when i decided to go over to 2.4..i bought the Aurora A9,the set itself has more than enough settings for 99% of flying and is very user friendly ..... and a doddle to set up a new model.....with the touch screen menu's..and the RX's are a reasonable price...... before you decide -get a hold of oneand have a go with it-you'll be pleased with it....i have no experience of the graupner Radio's.

ken anderson...ne..1 ....doddle dept.

I've used a Graupner MZ24 (my review is on the Logic site), nice radio but the instructions were very poor (but might be better now. Telemetry was OK, but the screen not very good for viewing it and at the time although it had voice you had to scroll through each reading. Friend has a Hitec Aurora and likes it a lot, but no voice on the telemetry and if you fly gliders there's no realistic vario option (my friend has bought a standalone vario system and I know somebody else who upgraded to Jeti because of the Hitec vario shortcomings), but radio linkwise the Hitec has been rock solid.

Couple of other friends have the Futaba 14sg and like them a lot, but I find the programming a bit baffling on them (compared to my Multiplex), but it is similar to the 8fg, supports more Futaba formats has telemetry and would use your existing receivers.

Thanks both for your answers.

Ken, the Aurora looks quite appealing, a bit like an Aston Martin: powerful but with no "show-off".

Frank, I considered also the FG14, mainly for the benefits you've mentioned (receivers, familiarity, etc...). The problem is that the price is around 100 quid higher than the other two. Even buying in US (with Tower Hobbies discount), the prices is 300£ + duty (3.7%) + VAT (20%) + customs broker fees (around 20£ = £380-ish, and no warranty / technical support in Europe...

Thanks again for your comments, I'll take them on board

I have an Aurora 9 with a few Optima receivers. The kit feels well-made and works well. I especially like the option to power the Rx's directly from the LiPo flight battery and set appropriate low voltage warnings - no extra sensor needed. And the throttle hold function by touch screen or switch is a handy safety feature.

There are, or used to be, occasional upgrades that you apply via a special gizmo. No idea about servicing.

Posted by AVC on 14/12/2015 10:40:22:

Frank, I considered also the FG14, mainly for the benefits you've mentioned (receivers, familiarity, etc...). The problem is that the price is around 100 quid higher than the other two. Even buying in US (with Tower Hobbies discount), the prices is 300£ + duty (3.7%) + VAT (20%) + customs broker fees (around 20£ = £380-ish, and no warranty / technical support in Europe...

Also, not sure if it applies to Futaba, but some radios for the US are not compliant with the new EU 2.4 regulations, so US bought set might not be CE marked.

I currently use the A9 and I'm very happy with it. It is simple to program, and perform software updates, (for both TX & RX), with the necessary accessory, and the Optima & Minima receivers are very good and reasonably priced, (as opposed to Multiplex which, IMO, are exceedingly expensive). HobbyKing also supply their version of the Minima, which as a 8 ch receiver is brilliant at about £14 each, and I use these almost exclusively now with no problems at all. It is only where I need a particularly small receiver that I use the Hitec Minima.

I was looking at the new Flash 8 but I could see no real advantage with this as the software seems almost identical to the A9.

I purchased mine second hand and it had been fitted with a Lipo pack which gives me about 9 hours of use before I have to recharge, however, I never leave it that long usually. So a second hand unit could save you £££££.

Steve

A470Soaring

Both these are very good sets, and both will be similarly reliable i.e. very! The difference I mainly in telemetry and voice features - the Graupner has the edge there. You don't see many unhappy Aurora owners though; the only disadvantage I have seen with them is that those BODA antennas can be a bit of pain to install, particularly in slim glider fuselages.

The other one to consider would be a Taranis - RF iability is now well proven, and gh the physicals are not Rolls Royce quality they are perfectly adequate. Buy one from T9 and they will do all the servicing for you, and spares are readily available at low cost too. Coming from Futaba though you may find the learning curve rather steep (just as I would if I went the other way!)

Thanks all for your comments, I really appreciate them.

Thankfully, the radio is now repaired. I contacted modelradioworkshop.co.uk, and Mike Ridley gave me a good advice. I checked the radio andin fact the problem was as Mike described, and I've been able to fix it.

Anyway, I'll still consider the Hi Tec for Xmas