best visibility colours

rcaddict

Advert

At a club I belonged to most of my fellow learners had Ready 2 models, very nice but all in the 'as bought' plain white

except one painted in US army camo. I decided to make mine stand out on the ground and in the air I called the colour scheme 'shamoflage ' someone who lived 2 miles from the strip reported seeing someone flying a red model.. I think it worked.Ready 2

At a distance contrast matters more than colours IMHO. So black and white work well, more interestingly so does black and yellow as previously used by the RAF for example.

Launching Success

Black or Silver on it's own can be hazardous but once again used with a highly contrasting colour, hah yellow springs to mind again, can lead to a good looking easy to see model:The Extra Servo

Webbington Bomber

I go with IanN, contrasting dayglow colours top and bottom are good. A dayglow orange strip wrapped around the leading edge from root to tip helps too when the model is coming towards you on approach. Plummet's suggestion of dark underneath (against the sky) and light on top (against ground and trees) are good too.

Whilst a dark colour may be good against the sky, its not so good against the background of trees on the approach on that last flight of the day (the one when you realize you should have landed earlier or not taken off at all...).

The RAF sponsored some research into increasing visibility to try and stop Air Cadet aircraft banging into each other (its reprinted here on a German glider manufacturer's website):

**LINK**