Balsa Building Boards Are They Worth Buying

Herself, decided that we needed a new coffee table, so straight away I saw the top of the old pine one measuring 47" x 27" in old money as an ideal building board because it's braced by the apron around all four sides and is perfectly flat. Sitting on top of my standard height works bench it also raises the working height by 4 inches or so which will save my old back.

My initial thought was to stick some cork tiles on it , but for the cost of doing that I could buy one of those Balsa Building Boards from SLEC. My question is, do they stay flat? My garage is dry, but is subject to changes in humidity, so I'm wondering if that affects their stability.

Advert

I not tried one as I just know I'd get glue on it over time and I suspect the hard glue spots will divert pins when pushing them in and cause problems.

Instead I use cuts of plaster board and replace them when they get messy. The also make good disposable cutting boards. Fortunately I work in the building trade and half sheets of plaster board are often available.

I have a couple of sundeala boards that have lasted 20 years (and models) or so. I got a smaller SLEC balsa board last year for some cheeky indoor building. Both are fine. The key is making a good strong framework to support the board; mine have well seasoned timber, about 18mm x 25mm minimum. You can get sundeala notice boards by mail order now for about £25.

Not the SLEC one, but I have one (several actually) made from ~5cm square endgrain pices attached to a nylon mesh backing, it can almost be rolled up, but is nice and solid when layed out flat. A very generous modeller gave away a large number of these a few years ago; IIRC, he believed they were originally aircraft flooring.

Edited By Martin Whybrow on 20/12/2015 01:28:27

Posted by Andy Ennis on 20/12/2015 02:15:32:

I have had one of the SLEC balsa building boards for a a couple of years now, and only have good things to say about them.

Mine accepts pins readily, and has stayed flat throughout use

+1 but mine is indoors so cannot speak as to how it would react in a garage.

To keep flat mine rests on an MDF board which has my SLEC building jig grid & is always covered in the SLEC protection film so never gets glue on it, Chris. The whole system is great & I'd never go back to any other board.

38mm kitchen work surface, as my bench top, upon which is the building board assembly. Plaster board then SLEC balsa board and finally another plasterboard with SLEC protective film. Got three like this that are 48"x24" and just turn them over between builds. Another useful item is ply faced flush internal doors of the 'egg box' constructon. Local builders merchants and select the flatest. When I got mine they were all flat on checking. I use this on an old 60"x36" kitchen table as an assembly station as I can access this from three sides.

Mine, like John Lee's, is used indoors in my spare room. Sorry, should have made that clear.

Colin, again like John, I always cover my board with some kind of plastic film, so, in the main it has remained glue free. Occasionally I have dripped a little glue on an unprotected bit, and have just wiped it off immediately, with no ill effect

Andy