Christmas '78 - Learning to Fly -' oh Betty the plane is out of control'.

Mark Kettle 1

Cessna Aerobat G-BFRV

This show was not really funny or worth laughing at, however some good inverted flying seen and Michael Crawford actually flew the plane and took lessons for the episode, filmed at Cranfield in Bedfordshire UK.

It was good British Comedy in those days nice simple and clean. Michael is also a good singer and for many years starred in the Phantom of the Opera in London.

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - Christmas '78 - Learning to Fly

Advert

Good landing sequence from the flim 'Flight the Movie'. A wild ride with Denzel Washington when he gets it down on the ground quickly. One of the greatest action scene in a flying movie I can think off.   

Don't get annoyed about the wing-lets on a MD82, and do they really dump fuel on small regional flights, also don't the engine /s stop when the fire suppression system is pulled?

.....I believe the movie was shot in 35 days, impressive.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/12/2015 13:00:14

Posted by Phil May on 24/12/2015 12:15:49:

I watched this episode on BBC 2 the other afternoon...Brilliant, harmless humour.

Apparently Micheal did all his own stunts in these shows....

And obviously written/produced by someone with more than a passing acquaintance with aviation - no glaring technical errors within the context of a comedy show.

Yes I agree Malcolm, when I had it on (BBC Radio 4 ) in the work shop it was such a good laugh. I was thinking of doing the link, now you mentioned it I will. So here it is - John Finnemore's - Cabin Pressure coming up. Enjoy.

In this episode one of the crew is learning the phonetic alphabet, brilliant and side achingly funny.

and how planes fly !

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/12/2015 22:35:32

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/12/2015 22:40:23

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 25/12/2015 01:12:51:

Long before 'Some mothers do ave em' Michael starred in 'That Was The Week That Was'.

There he played the part of Byron the producers younger brother. Sitting astride a Lambretta scooter, he gave an archaic young persons view of the week's affairs.

...yours disappointed!

That was a vespa in the utube clip!!!

Kk, also a scooterist!