Havent things changed?

David perry 1

I have finally got round to building my DBS&S Autogyro and it's going together like a dream...a dirty one!

Last time I build a proper balsa kit was yonks ago and they were always beautiful snow white pristine affairs...now the laser cutting has turned my lovely balsa creation into a dirty burnt match substitute.

Mind you, its a small price to pay for the almost perfect cutting and rapidity of build. The laser edges are not QUITE perpendicular, but theyre probably as close as I used to cut...

Anyway, so far top marks for DB kits

David

Advert

I suppose on a relatively simple build then the Laser cut option is less of an issue, although it's horses for courses.

I'm about a third of the way through a Brian Taylor 69" Spitfire that I started about six weeks ago and without the Laser parts from Traplet I doubt if I'd have embarked on the project. The ribs alone would have driven me nuts - every one different and with alignment tabs. With the Laser parts, I had a full set after 15 minutes of easing the bits from the balsa with a modelling knife.yes

Mind you, it's no easy ride and there's more than enough on the plan to get the grey matter working (wing centre section section for example) so I can concentrate on the technical stuff without the bother of spending hours at the band saw making parts. Don't get me wrong, it's a country mile away from a kit and I do have a load of bits to make from scratch along with deciding on the best way to put it all together. I'm looking forward to fabricating the more interesting scale parts like radiator, oil cooler, air intake and exhausts - the cockpit will be fun as well.

The copy function on my PC's printer has been a godsend for making templates to cut out and stick on material and I've made a full set of profile templates from the plan to get the correct oval shape of the fuz (or as near as I can get it).

BTW just a quick note on the OP's DB autogyro. I test flew one of these years ago for a mate and it was a fantastic model, not at all tricky................providing that you didn't have excessive rudder movement (elevator  control was very nice). IIRC, no more than three eighths of an inch either way on the rudder was needed for general flying around and I think we set the rates up appropriately to give just a fraction more when needed. I don't think my mates ancient tranny had expo!  Perhaps the modern kits have addressed this?

Edited By Cuban8 on 31/12/2015 12:51:14

I'm starting a scaled up build soon after having the plans enlarged to a size I prefer. I will be opting for the laser cut parts for the wing ribs, formers and any other bits I fancy including.

I can only agree the time taken to accurately reproduce them off the plan is fine for a smaller model, however I'm at 85" with the enlarged version I have chosen and whilst I suspect the larger parts would be easier to handle when cutting / sanding to shape.. I rather just get on the with the build and have them ready to hand..

It wouldn't opt for a laser / CNC solution for a smaller model, say under 50".. I cant see the point! the parts count is lower and the parts easy enough to cut on the work bench..

I must say the ability of printers to copy and reproduce parts of a plan was a working reference is a fantastic help, I'm sure trad building will enjoy a well earned resurgence.. with the help of scanners and printers based in the home.. plus CNC part kits (no denigning their offering and attraction)