Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Advert

Hi to all again,

Not that much, but some progress though at La Grotte today.

After drilling the corresponding holes in the wing, I adjusted and dry fitted the hinges for both ailerons which went quite smoothly.

2110_wing_pivothinge_900.jpg

This was the last step before final ‘fine’ sanding both sides - and having some OneTime filler for some ‘major dings’ blush - of the wing to prepare for the glassing.

Then a moment of truth was to put Bella’s ‘large’ wing on my favourite scale.

Honestly, I don’t really remember the multiple weight figures from other Ballerinas builds as it is quite some time ago - "it's not a race", you know wink - and they were often given with different components already installed like the u/c or the servos, for example.

2113_wing_weight_900.jpg

As mine is a different ‘scale’ as well, it gets difficult to have a comparison figure. Anyway, I think that with a 1436mm - instead of 1346 - wingspan, I can only be pleased with a weight of just under 256gr.

2120_wing_dryfit_900.jpg

And, this is what we have so far.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Being Pleased Control

Hello Peter and thanks.

Not so sure if I expressed myself correctly (once more) here above regarding Bella's wing weight.

What I meant is that having made my wing 90mm larger span wise, if I can keep my AUW similar (or less) than the 'classic' Ballerinas, I will obtain less wing loading.

With that approach in mind, I was pleased to have a temporary result of 256gr for the wing. I can now hope to keep it at around 350 > 400gr once glassed, painted and the servos installed.

Or am I 'wrong' here (again)?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR GR/DM² Control

Thank you for your comments, guys.

@ Peter > well at least I can feel a tiny bit relieved now. yes I was afraid that my writing was too 'Frenchy-messy' again...

@ Simon > Yes, I am pleased with that outcome. Especially that Bella's u/c is already mounted to the fuselage - and of course included in its weight - so only servos, glassing and paint. yes

But, you're right, I don't even want to know your "super lightweight" wing weight as I've been following your build blog. But then as you stated yourself somewhere in a thread, you are totally "paranoid" in relation to weight. surprise

I really would like to postulate for a membership to the 'Chaddock League', but then I really need a lot more experience built up before... angel

@ John > I remembered, reading your blog, that your wing was on the light side as well. Now to be honest, I weighted mine without the wing dowel... wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR 'Chaddock League' Control

Hello everybody,

To make life a little easier when glassing, I made a ‘workhorse’ with a piece of wood and a few nails to support the ailerons during the covering process.

2123_wing_aileron_glassing_900.jpg

I believe Gaston had a slight overdose of his favourite energy drink and triggered by some primary degree inspiration, it apparently ‘gave him wings’ already… surprise

2130_wing_gastaileron_900.jpg

Next I started to prepare and cut the different parts of fiber needed for the covering.

I did cut the wing parts a little longer for the top and bottom as my intention is to have a 60mm reinforcement ‘overlap’ at the centre section. Very probably not even necessary though. frown

2133_wing_glassing_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Energy Boost Control

Hello to those still out there,

I started with the fiber glassing of the ailerons, going on with the wing while the smaller parts are drying.

Unfortunately the glassing of the white Depron with semi translucent fiber isn’t quite of great photographical interest… or maybe even quite boring. frown

I thought of sharing of few glassing tips on the go but I don’t really know if it would be that interesting either.

So, I suppose it’s best to put the Bella build thread ‘on hold’ for a while.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sharing Control

Thank you for your nice comment, Andy. yes

Danny's method uses polyester resin that is stronger but also a lot 'thicker' and consequently heavier. Hence the need of 'absorbing' foil the eliminate as much surplus resin as possible. Most polyester resins - like the one I used for my cowl - wouldn't be compatible with foam and would even melt it.

The V33 Marine varnish I use for the Depron is water-based and brushes over the fiberglass very thinly but dries out very hard. Of course you should use just enough to have the cloth wave still visible when dry, avoiding any surplus weight.

My intention wasn't to write an 'Instructable' anyway - lots of them on YT already - but just to give a few tips along the way. The jury is still out there somewhere... looking for the 'fibre'.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fibre Control

Hi again to anyone still out there,

Some of you might have the idea that I’m having some fancy after-ski parties in the neighborhood of Biarritz…

Well, it isn’t, as I’m still going on with the Bella build, but ‘slowly, as usual’.

As I wrote before, there isn’t really much to tell or to show when glassing, let it cure, glassing the other side, sanding, applying Fred’s Sauce to one side, then to the other, sanding again… and again. frown

2140_wing_glass_aileron_900.jpg

This is what I mean… both ailerons glassed both sides & waiting for Fred’s filler/primer. Impressive ’visual impact’, ain’t it. sad

But as Andy suggested, here is a trick that I’ve learned during my progress. I tried on a test piece to cover both sides at once. no

Well, even for the smaller parts like the ailerons, I don’t even try to glass it that way as you can’t get a proper result especially at the corners.

2138_wing_glass_cut_900.jpg

The aileron above is done one side at the time, let it dry, cut most of the overhang away and just sand back gently till the un-needed parts of fiber just ‘fall’ off.

As The LoTH often declares, maybe I’m a bit too ‘meticulous’ at times (?) but then I guess that’s just me. blush

More to come when I manage to get my feet off the sandy beach of Bora-Bora…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Party Control

Thank you, guys.

Just got back from La Grotte and believe me John, no "rag arms" today but just getting 'crazy' with all that sanding 'powder'. This should be normally an 'outside' job, but at this moment the season in BE is acting like Murphy, I guess.

You're right, Peter. Nothing much to show from my side equals to nothing much to answer about. But it's great that some of you are still out there though. wink

I realize you were quite busy currently, Rosco. But are you secretly having 'experiments' without even letting us know... ? crying

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Experimental Control

Posted by Rosco on 26/01/2017 19:43:39:
To be honest Chris, I don't think many on this forum would be interested in my experiment besides, I don't really want to hype it up too much because it may completely flop!

Maybe not "many" should be interested but then probably some would, Rosco.

But then maybe it's because your 'experiment' isn't really purposed to be 'flying'...

So, you could be experimenting with an EDF Hovercraft... ? yes

Makes me curious as I always wanted to build a full size hover-thingie with a Rotax 582 two-stroke from an Ultralight... but I'll wait silently for your results. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Hovercraft Control

Hello gents,

Yesss… , still busy with the Bella.

All the bits were covered both sides with the Fred Sauce after glassing was completed.

If The LoTH decides to pay a visit to La Grotte now, I would have a ‘big’ problem - as during the sanding process - that ‘flour’-like powder is creeping all over the place… I really shouldn’t have that done while ‘indoors’… blush ... but then - still following that famous 'Purple Plan' - do I have a choice? angel

Let’s have a few ‘positive’ tips.

2144_wing_glassing_corner_900.jpg

Even with light weight fiber, sometimes the glass covering refuses to take the correct corner angle, but then a simple cloth peg can be of assistance to grip the sides together from underneath.

2148_wing_glassing_weight_900.jpg

Also it happens that the glass decides to cooperate at the corner but doesn’t want to follow the thin side of the piece. Adding a bit of weight can persuade it to keep nicely vertical. cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pegs Control

Hi to all,

Still no Biarritz ‘pistes de ski’, nor Seychelles sanded beaches, but still plodding around with the Bella.

2157_wing_glassweight_900.jpg

I forgot to post the weight of the wing & ailerons after glassing. Sorry, Rosco… blush

So, at nearly 315gr, it’s nearly 60gr heavier when glassed with varnish or Poly C as you gents would call it.

As there is still some sanding to do next, I think I should be pleased with that result - taking in consideration the 1436mm wingspan - as it means that I’m still in the running for the 400gr target with the servos & extensions… and around 430gr if I’m careful with the Fred Sauce & the final paint of course… indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Obesity Control

Hello everybody,

I’m still trying to have some progress made to the Ballerina.

The glass cloth got finally lightly sanded and foreseen of a layer of Fred’s Sauce then - after drying - the ‘big’ sanding session was started.

The ailerons are done now as well as the bottom of the wing. I will be very pleased when the top part will be done allowing me to have a decent cleaning of all that dust in La Grotte. frown

This is really a job to be done outdoors on a nice sunny springtime day. I guess my building timeline went totally wrong. blush

2161_wing_aileron_sauced_900.jpg

Speaking of “progress”, in fact I don’t even have that impression when looking at the different bits. Some time ago, I had nice looking white foam combined with some cute balsa edges… now it seems that all my pieces got ugly and cloudy-grey shaded… crying

2164_winaileron_sauced02_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Progress? Control

Hi Simon & thanks for commenting.

I should totally agree with you except for the fact that the Depron and the balsa bits were still looking great and shiny after the glassing. wink

My silly idea to mix some grey acrylic to Fred's Sauce brought this kind of 'visual disaster'. blush

Next time I'll consider using a few pink drops... or even fluo yellow... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fluo Control

Hello gents,

Have you ever had one of those days when the only thing holding you back is your own stupidity”… (quoted from ‘somewhere’ on the net).

With all the wing bits finally sanded down - some of them needing two passes of Sauce to properly fill the ‘handling dings’ - I got finally ready for some priming job.

2168_wing_aileron_cata01_900.jpg

I had some water-based grey primer spray cans and started to give the ailerons a first layer… without reading the ‘small letters’ of the tag stating that the propellant gas was a … solvent!!! surprise

As I had been meticulous about sanding the Sauce deep enough to just fill the small dings and to avoid as much as possible excessive weight, I very probably went too far and left some tiny openings for the solvent to penetrate the foam.

2171_wing_aileron_cata02_900.jpg

I’ll need to have some deep 'surgery' here, cut the ‘sick’ foam covering away, replace it… and start the glassing and the finishing procedure all over.

Of course, I could have started with the wing instead of the ailerons, so somewhere I should feel ‘lucky’ I didn't…

But, I’m not that sure if I needed ‘this’ right now. frown

May I allow myself a gigantic moan here, please…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Moan Control