Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Advert

Hi Chris,

I feel for you buddy. Nothing a man of your means cannot overcome👍

I would be tempted to stick some lightweight filler in there, sand it down and paint over it, once it's finished, only you (and the rest of us watching here) would know it's there.

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 03/02/2017 22:26:15

Thank you for commenting, guys.

@ Onetenor > if you visit page 43 of this blog and scroll down a bit, you'll find the complete explanation of Freddie B's Sauce.

@ Mark & John > my first thought was indeed to 'bodge' some filler in the 'sick' places, but the cancer seems to be involving more than just a superficial 'melting'. I think the solvent melted some areas at the surface and also continued the job under the glassed and filled surface as major parts of the surface feel like there is just 'nothing' underneath anymore.

Not a full 'disaster', but I'll have to cut the foam away to have an idea of the damage 'inside'. indecision

More to come after a dissection/diagnosis at La Grotte, hopefully tomorrow.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Diagnosis Control

Hello again everybody,

Just got back from La Grotte and here's my 'dissection' report.

The port aileron was indeed very sick, so I had to cut the foam sheeting away as there were different areas with only some thin glass fiber and filler left over. As I suspected, the foam was totally 'vanished' at some major places. frown

I had a new piece of Depron covering made up and glued in with foam safe CA - which was a first time use for me - to gain some time. The port aileron is now glassed again and curing. yes

The starboard one had only superficial damage and was filled back easily with a mix of OneTime and white glue.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Back in Business Control

Apprentice Chris back to report progress, Sir(s).

- Port aileron lightly sanded after glassing was cured and some Sauce applied.

- Starboard aileron sanded both sides & primed top side with foam-friendly white spray can primer & left to dry.

- Port aileron's Sauce sanded & primed top side (cfr above spray can) & left to dry.

- Starboard aileron primed bottom side (cfr above spray can again) & left to dry (again).

- Port aileron sanded & primed bottom side (cfr above spray can which seems to be nearly empty already).

- Tried to retrieve my breath for multiple hours as this was done indoors in a improvised spray booth being a large carton box... no

- Started to prime the main wing bottom - outdoors this time & with a new rattle can - when it started to lightly rain after a very short while. I will have to sand that one back again... frown

Why do I start to hate rattle cans?

Matata (again)

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Lack of Spray Can Control

Thank you for visiting and commenting, John.

Please believe me I "shake em for ages" and even put 'em' in the sink filled with 60°C water, but even then...

If I spray the main wing 'indoors', I will have have to clean La Grotte for hours trying to remove the spray dust all over the place. surprise

I suppose you guys must have a 'secret trick' somehow, but meanwhile I'll have to wait for a sunny and dry day to primer spray the wing outdoors. It's waiting for it as I sanded it back already after that 'really funny' rain shower but today we even had some light melting snow here in BRU . frown

I guess I will have to find a budget for an airbrush, compressor and touch up gun someday. angel

By the way 'Prince' John, aren't you confusing your "purple progress" with Peter's Purple Plan???

But then we had some 'Rain' as well the other day...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Candy Dulfer Control

... ooh, by the way, as there seems to be a recent "Fly with music" thread on here.

Candy Dulfer was the saxo-lady of Prince’s music guys in those days.

Pretty talented young woman and - Lucas should be aware of it - she was... Dutch.

Just to give you an idea >

But then, also being proud to remember that the inventor of the saxophone was a Belgian…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Adolphe Saxe Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 11/02/2017 19:41:11

Chris

If you visit a production spray environment you wouldn't believe a) how fast they spray and b) how quickly they get the article into the hot (70C?) drying ovens but then if you are doing hundreds of items an hour I suppose you can afford to wreck a few paint jobs before you get the conditions just right.

For one off model planes it just has to be 'trial and error' coupled with experience. wink 2.

Posted by McG 6969 on 08/02/2017 20:10:48:

Apprentice Chris back to report progress, Sir(s).

- Port aileron lightly sanded after glassing was cured and some Sauce applied.

- Starboard aileron sanded both sides & primed top side with foam-friendly white spray can primer & left to dry.

- Port aileron's Sauce sanded & primed top side (cfr above spray can) & left to dry.

- Starboard aileron primed bottom side (cfr above spray can again) & left to dry (again).

- Port aileron sanded & primed bottom side (cfr above spray can which seems to be nearly empty already).

- Tried to retrieve my breath for multiple hours as this was done indoors in a improvised spray booth being a large carton box... no

- Started to prime the main wing bottom - outdoors this time & with a new rattle can - when it started to lightly rain after a very short while. I will have to sand that one back again... frown

Why do I start to hate rattle cans?

Matata (again)

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Lack of Spray Can Control

Chris please use a proper mask when spraying.Those vapours can kill

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 12/02/2017 00:05:27:

For one off model planes it just has to be 'trial and error' coupled with experience. wink 2.

Thank you, Simon.

I've been invited to visit the finishing department of a 'top end' bicycle manufacturer (Ridley) here in BE. The carbon fiber frames are made in China and the finishing and assembly are done here in Hasselt. As you wrote, the powder coating & curing takes less time than for me to write down... Amazing. surprise

Unfortunately, in my case, it's more like "trial and error coupled with"... UNexperience. frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR UNcontrol

You're very welcome, Onetenor. And great if you knew the recipe already.

Not sure if I understand your "Celly" correctly, though. Does it mean 'cellulose'? Those thinners would very probably 'kill' any foam I know of. crying

Normally I'm wearing a 'real pro' mask for spraying larger items... but unfortunately it doesn't allow me to wear some glasses as well. But then, indoors, I was only spraying the small ailerons as a test-piece. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Spray Fumes Control

Hello everybody out there,

I came to the decision not to wait till Easter to be able to make some painting progress to Bella’s wing. As working indoors was definitely a ‘no-no’, I just had to build my spray booth outdoors… surprise

The kitchen terrace seemed to be a perfect strategic place. Two small ladders, some ropes and broom sticks did allow me to build a ‘frame’. An old bathroom curtain became the roof, some large painter’s plastic sheets were perfect walls. Half an hour and half a roll of duct tape later, I could plug in my small blowing heater.

I was only a bit afraid that the ‘construction’ could start to convince itself being a genuine hot air balloon but all went well this time and now at least I have a result.

My only regret is that I won’t be able to use the booth again as I really had to dismantle it right away before it could get blown away. frown

The wing is finally drying now and will deserve a picture soon… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Spray Booth Control

Hello… if somebody is still out there,

I must admit I had some kind of motivation ‘dip’ after the problems encountered with the ‘melting foam’ and Bella’s wing painting process. crying

A few Belgian and French modellers were also interested in the possibility of having a ‘Pierre the Driver’ figurine in their cockpit so I patiently ‘rotated’ a few of them. I mean “patiently” as I had a few ‘misfires’ in my ‘non-mass-production’ process… But then they seemed to be enjoying their 'pilot' when delivered. yes

I also started to carefully study the plans for my forthcoming full balsa build. Being envious of John’s and Lucas’ Skywriter build, I couldn’t resist to think about having a try at some lamination process for the vertical tailplane. angel

But, this is what I have so far for the Bella.

2196_wing_primer_900.jpg

The Ballerina still remains on the fire plate - not even really on the back burner - but I feel I need a motivation boost after having nearly 14 months spent since the start of my ‘apprentice’ decision.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Motivation & Lamination Control

Posted by McG 6969 on 17/02/2017 20:49:27:

I also started to carefully study the plans for my forthcoming full balsa build. Being envious of John’s and Lucas’ Skywriter build, I couldn’t resist to think about having a try at some lamination process for the vertical tailplane. angel

Hi Chris - is your next build still going to be the Baron? I'm still working on my Flugboot, hoping to get it finished before the snow's gone as I decided to build it for snow flying. Then I think my next build will be the Baron.

Don't let anyone tell you you are too perfectionist. You are who you are and that is why I love you. The world needs extreme perfectionists as a counterweight against those who are going for extremely unperfect or quick fixes. Yes, it will take you twice or three or four times as long as the rest of the people and during this long process you might feel demotivated sometimes. But don't let it get to you. The result will be jawdropping!

- heart Iris

PS I would buy a cheerleading outfit and some pom-poms but afraid that at my age I will make some moves and hurt myself somewhere...

Thank you so much, Lady.

You’re really not too old to disguise as a cheerleader but just beware of the too eccentric moves… wink

@ Peter > I reckon you’re right regarding the “half of my problem”. I also suppose Iris gave the main part of the answer. It’s really not about ‘perfection’ but just trying ‘the best I can’ when I’m doing/building something. Remembering my dad, it must be hereditary somehow, as I just can’t rush up things just for them to get finished. It would give me a wrong feeling afterwards. I knew from the beginning it would be hard to get to the finish line with such a steep learning curve to handle. At least I didn’t give up so far. angel

@ Andy > thank you for your kind and encouraging words. smiley

@ John > absolutely “tricky fellas” those mojos. By the way is ‘your’ Glenn one of Peter’s relatives? surprise

@ Steven > yes, the Baron/Vicomte will definitely be my next build. I bought a short kit from the Belgian guys that ‘revisited’ the original Svenson plan in CAD and they had the parts laser cut. So, if your intention is to build one as well after your Flugboot, we could build the Vicomte together. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tricky Fellas Control

Chris

I know how you feel.

Their was no way I could ever match the model engineering (or even the motor engineering!) skills of my Dad so I didn't even try and built planes instead. To be fair he was pretty good at that but it simply did not interest him but of course model plane IC engines was a different matter!.

I may build fast but I can assure you that I have been through quite long periods where I never even touched a model plane let alone built or flown one.

I went through a period of collecting and restoring vintage sewing machines in my spare time. They are big and heavy so what on earth do you do with over twenty of them!

Then I spent some time building vastly complicated models in Technical Lego. I simply could not face taking them apart again so I ended up with quite a collection of them too!.

You get the picture. wink 2

dscf1240.jpga bit of a theme hear as my dad was also a model engineer making his steam engines but he always got into a situation he would make tools and things to make the parts he wanted,he would never buy things if he could make it hence it took him years to complete things.sadly the only thing of his that he made was his very first little engine he made me when I was little but what fun it was,no xbox then just the smells,probally to dangerous for kids these days.dscf1239.jpg

And Chris -I too get to the point of frustration with building so up in the loft it might go half built. As long as I have a plane to fly I don't mind. One plane was started 25 years ago and is back in the loft for a second time. I can then get on with something that excites me more at the time.