Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Looks good Chris. Ive never covered foam with film so I can't really comment on that but I will say that the Mossie crash is a trap that anyone and everyone falls into. I can guarantee that 100% of model flyers have been guilty of trying to make their model land as opposed to letting it land itself at some stage.

Carrying on..... keep up the lovely work.

Rosco

Thank you, Father John. angel

Thank you too, Mr Weight Watcher. smiley

I can only believe your words about falling into that trap.

So, I won't try it with the Bella anyhow. I think I will be building a disposable foamie thingie to practice your "letting it land itself" advice.

Regarding the Bella, I hope to have some build time tomorrow as the enjoyable spring weather here in BE calls for some domestic duties at The LotH's terrace. cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Trap Control

Hello everybody,

With the fuselage sides sorted out, I could have a go with the bottom covering of the front and rear panels.

2308_bottom_ front_fluo_900.jpg

I thought that the ‘Day Glow’ principle should get its place here as well to help with the orientation of the model.

2310_bottom_ rear_fluo_900.jpg

In case somebody would wonder; yes, I tested the belly flashing light as well… wink

Next will be the final deco of the stab & elevator and getting together the servo linkages for rudder and elevator.

More to come later on, but The LotH and I volunteered to participate to a ‘big clean up’ of the litter in our community during the weekend. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Litter & Progress Control

Thank you both, gentlemen.

The "wombling" went OK, John. Just a few drops of rain this morning but lucky enough a mainly dry day.

But, I still have no idea about the meaning of "wombling"... ??? blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR To Womble Or Not To Womble Control

@ John & Peter > as I did a bit of research before receiving your answers, it seemed that in statistics - according to statistician William H. Womble - ‘wombling’ is any of a number of techniques used for identifying zones of rapid change, typically in some quantity as it varies across some geographical or Euclidean space… surprise

Or also > ‘wombling’ is where you collect discarded receipts from around a shop and cash in any unclaimed value in loyalty points or price promise guarantees… frown

Thousand regrets, but to be honest, the Wombles Song isn’t really on top of my Cup of Tea Parade.

@ Devcon > well yes, “1 year, 3 months and”... 4 days now… I’ve been told several times that “It isn’t a race”, so I learned to be patient. On the other end, as I can’t maiden or fly the Bella myself, as there is no club, field or test-pilot around, there is no real urgency for the Bella to become prematurely a hangar queen. angel

Regarding “detailing” - and if I remember well - was your Baby Ballerina not having a lot of ‘panel lines’? … wink

Off topic, but during our little litter campaign this weekend, the group of volunteers collected close to 10m³ of garbage over the entire Zaventem community, including bushes and side-roads… yes and we are living in one of the cleanest areas of BE.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Panel Lines Control

Hi again,

I guess I’m getting a bit sad now for the forum visitors as I did spend a few hours at La Grotte yesterday and today but I don’t really have much to show. frown

2314_tailwheel_fairing_900.jpg

I think the tailwheel now has a less ‘toyish’ look with a bit of a fairing around the wire. It’s simply a piece of scrap Deply topped with a bit of bamboo skewer to round it off. The leg itself still has a sufficient play in the foam and is simply helt in place when clicking the wheel into position.

2323_tail_redfluo_900.jpg

I also finalized the stab/elevator bottom deco to match the main wing. But again, not a big revolution here.

Next on the planning is to finalize some soldering connections for the servo linkages and for the power train. Again not that much to show off, I’m afraid. blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fiddly Bits Control

Thanks, Peter.

As it is a first one for me, I didn't realize that those fiddly bits were going to take that much time.

So, I'll just praise myself lucky not to be the only one around then. angel

I'll be back when I have something to show, but I'll stick to the Purple Plan anyway. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR PP Control

Hello gents,

I don’t really know why, but a few days ago I came to think about Daktari, the ‘strange-eyed’ lion Clarence, Judy the chimp and the zebra-lined Gladiator Jeep in the old TV-serie. question smiley

000_daktari_jeep.jpg

After a bit of research, I found a picture of a zebra-themed Dornier Do 27 used in the Serengeti area in Tanzania by Bernhard Grzimek, a well-known zoologist and director of the Frankfurt Zoo in the sixties.

000_do_27_zebra_900.jpg

Considering my black & white idea for the top surfaces, I immediately thought: “Well, here we have a ‘subject’ for Bella’s top wing decoration scheme”… surprise

So, I found some rough samples and made a project file in Illustrator which is already on its way to Roger, the signman. As the design is quite large, I will reduce the dimensions for the stab/elevator and cut these the ol’ way by hand… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Doctor’s Control

Hello everybody out there,

A bit off topic maybe - although Bernoulli’s laws are of course related to ‘fluids’ – but The LotH drew my attention to it and I couldn’t resist sharing this one…

Of course this post has no relationship whatsoever with Horizon Hobbies’s recent marketing strategy development… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR ‘Soughts’ Control

Hello to the forumites still around,

As planned, I finalized the soldering of the powertrain connections and shortened the servo connections as the ‘standard’ extensions were, well… too long.

Some time ago I bought a ‘soldering third hand / heat sink / positioning device / all in one’ thingie for connectors from Banggood at +/- €9.

I just never saw it or being mentioned on any of the build blogs I visited but as I had a very helpful use of it, I thought I could share it here.

2328_solderingjig_xt60_900.jpg

It is suitable to receive different kinds of connectors and keep them firmly in place during the soldering process. Both sides are different and handle many sizes of bullet connectors (2mm up to 8mm), male and female XT60 & 90 (avoiding the nylon to be potentially ‘deformed’ by the heat), Dean, mini T and ‘bananas’. It also features a welcomed 'bakelite' - a Belgian invention ! wink - insulation for the bullet connectors.

2331_solderingjig_bullet_900.jpg

Hakuna matata & happy landings to all yes

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Soldering Control

Thank you both, gents.

It really is a nice piece of tool.

I was quite a bit surprised that even this apprentice seemed suddenly to become very close to a ‘soldering guru’…  wink

If others are interested, here is the link as it's sometimes not that easy to locate an item in that enormous shop > XQ Alloy Soldering Station.

Hakuna matata & have soldering fun

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Link Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 09/04/2017 19:27:41

Not a "cheapskate" at all, Bob.

Just the evidence that, together with Simon, you both are 'pro-DIY-modelers'.

On the other end, as my building board is still 'brandnew' - the Ballerina being its first 'customer' - I really prefer not to start drilling holes in the corners... angel

As I have to find some piano wire locally to go on building the tailplanes servo linkages and also still waiting for the 'zebra' vinyl for the main wing, I started my 'homemade' tail covering.

2322_tail_zebra900.jpg

I really don't know why I took this decision. I could have sized down the main wing file to 75% and have it plotted by Roger, the sign-man as well.

Drawing, cutting & positioning is taking an awful lot of time now. Sometimes I understand vaguely why The LotH pretends that 'McGyver' is a bit "insane"... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sanity Control