Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Indeed, a bit "confusing" - at least for the flies - your "Tiger" theory, Bob. frown

But not that sure myself as the Bella has electric power. angel

But I guess John could jump in for some comment as he quite certainly owns a Tiger stacked on a shelf somewhere... wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tiger Control

Hi again, gents.

After this zoological intermezzo, I thought about a reward for the patience of the regular visitors, for Stuart and even a ‘little’ for myself, of course.

So, a bit of 'bench flying' with the parts we have so far.

2370_wing_zebra_benchfly01_900.jpg

I noticed too late that I forgot the cowl & cockpit hatch frown , so let’s have them added for the following pics.

2375_wing_zebra_benchfly02_900.jpg

2378_wing_zebra_benchfly03_900.jpg

2382_wing_zebra_benchfly04_900.jpg

Now, starting to apply the final deco scheme for the Bella will be my next ‘rewarding’ step. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Deco Control

Thank you for your comments, guys.

I really like that decoration part of the build, Simon. But if you remember my previous posts, I'm not able so far to fly the Bella anyway, so at least I'm trying to have her 'looking' good. Maybe I will even have to call you for help to bind my DX6i to the Bella. blush

Not so sure if your suggestion is that great for the lions out there, Andy. For sure I'm afraid they would all end totally 'cross-eyed' like Clarence. But without doubt, a splendid idea for the zebras. yes

"tor"?, John. I guess I'll have to dig out my 'urban dictionary' again. frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Hypnosis Control

Holy flying Zebras batman........

Looks good Chris.
To be honest, I've tried a variety of 'orientation' marking s but have found that once the model is away from you, it all blends into everything.

Your Zebra stripes will definitely look good when you're flying inverted and close enough to see them!

Keep up the uniqueness!

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 29/04/2017 00:28:55

Thanks for your answers, gents.

Sorry, but no 'inversion' nor 'KE' planned so far, Rosco. I'm afraid that the Bella will remain AOG till I find a responsible test-pilot for her maiden. Are you planning an holiday trip to BRU - BE in the near future?

Now, if I can convince the LotH to have a photo-session with the Bella, you could have a close view of her "top" and possibly even her "bottom"... well, I mean Bella's, of course... surprise

I might have a 'trick' for you, John. Since a while, I'm thoroughly cleaning the remaining epoxy of my fingers as it helps a lot with the finger tips sensitivity afterwards... wink

As the weather forecast seems to be positive for tomorrow and as the LotH decided to increase her collection of plants, I will have a dedicated assistance to her needs for potting and replanting and will not get to La Grotte until Tuesday as Monday is an official holiday here in BE, ie. 'Fête du Travail' > translated as 'Labor Day'.

Always thought that it was a bit controversially 'opposite'... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bottom Control

Well John, I had a large smile when reading your post.

It must be a pure coincidence, but when still a teenager and having some holiday camp, we used to learn to laminate, carve, sand and finally varnish some... wooden paddles. No canoes around though as we made them for the Nautical Club next door. But those were my early experiences with wood dust, acetone and thinners.

Regarding laminations, as we had a very productive planting/potting Sunday, I remembered some work in progress in the spare room.

Nearly following the Purple Plan, here it is then.

2188_fin_last lamination_900.jpg

The triangulation has been glued and the last internal piece of lamination is presented and measured to be cut into bits filling up the space between the ribs.

The idea is to obtain some kind of tenon & mortise with an increased hold and glue area. Well, that's the 'idea' at least... wink

2192_fin_glued_900.jpg

As I know myself a little, I'm pretty convinced that my first task at La Grotte will be to give it a little surface sanding before resuming the deco of the Bella. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Selfknowledge Control

Hi again everybody,

Some unexpected tasks had some chip-chop with my 'nearly perfect' day planning, so I didn't manage to progress a lot. no

Well, at least I was right regarding my' selfknowledge'. wink

During the few moments spent at La Grotte, I grabbed a piece of sanding paper and cleaned a bit both sides of the Vicomte/Baron fin and rudder.

2202_fin_sanded_900.jpg

Somehow happy with the result of my first lamination, but also totally convinced that I will enjoy to work with some balsa later on. smiley

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Balsa Control

I can only second your wise words, Peter.

Besides some LE & TE straight bits for the Ballerina, I never really assembled some balsa wood.

I had some ali, Dural, steel, stainless, hardwood, glass & carbon in full size, but the Vicomte's balsa vertical fin was a 'première' for me. angel

I'm fully convinced that I will enjoy starting to build that next 'full balsa' project.

Thank you for commenting. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Future Joy Control

Hello everybody,

Before going on with the final decals, I added a yellow trim-line to ‘cut’ the fuselage between the top silver covering and the bottom white. I think (hope?) it will combine quite well with the yellow LE of the wing. indecision

2532_deco_fuse01_900.jpg

The line is slightly tapered from 16mm at the front to 12mm at the tail end. This should give the fuselage side a ‘longer & slimmer’ shape.

2533_deco_fuse02_900.jpg

Probably due to my graphical background, I always liked to work with colours, shapes, company’s logos or even creating my own ones if needed.

I scaled and grouped several drawings I made in Illustrator and printed them on A4 decal paper with the LotH’s standard inkjet printer. I then covered the sheet with two thin layers of acrylic satin varnish after the ink was fully dried to protect it from the future water.

As I’m not sure at all if the water transfers will still work properly for the larger logo dimensions, I also forwarded the resulting ‘.ai’ file to Roger ‘Publiaplic’ to have it printed on 40 micron vinyl as well. Still that ‘learning curve’, I guess.

Grabbing the tiny vinyl cutter knife and the rounded scissors will be the next step, but I think I’m somehow loosing my slowly acquired Photoshop skills here… or maybe Gaston decided to keep it as a ‘surprise’ for a while by adding some very rough ‘potato-pixels’ to the pic… devil

2547_decosheet_blur_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Logos Control

Well, gents.

As there were 'no tears', 'no begging' to see the deco sheet, 'no insults' pointing to Gaston's responsibility (that's allowed by the CoC, I guess), in fact 'no comments' at all regarding the last picture, I'll conclude that either a large part of the visitors urgently need some reading glasses or 'nobody' has a real urge in having a look at the mentioned sheet...

After 'Nostalgia', now it is even 'Curiosity isn't what it used to be anymore'. surprise

At least it allows me some time to finalize the Bella. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Curiosity Control

Oh well, if that’s the point, Peter.

I won’t let you gents wait too long then. Here is the ‘standard’ picture. angel

2548_decosheet_900.jpg

I combined more graphics than really needed but - being my first ‘model’ scheme - it will allow me to have the possibility to make some choices.

I started with the positioning for the aft fuselage first to have an idea how it should look like. Please note the official ‘PM’ registration. wink

2540_deco_fuse04_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Choices Control

Note so sure your statement that "we were all waiting for..." was the correct reason, Peter.

At least looking at the surprising amount of reactions since my last post, it doesn't really point in that direction. indecision

Never mind, I just hope you enjoyed the 'initials' of the Bella's registration.

I also hope the weather in the UK is better than our windy and rainy one around here. Even if the Ballerina was finished now, I couldn't even have some nice photo session outdoors at the moment. sad

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Forecast Control

That looks very smart indeed.

We had a bright but breezy day. I my Suoer Marauder to cope with it.

Unfortunately the aileron servo stopped working while I was setting up for the landing. Not too much damage considering. If it had happened a few minutes earlier the model would have been at about 500 feet!