WolstonFlyer's ballerina

A bit more progress, I have cut the holes for the aileron servo wires using a sharpened bit of 15mm copper water pipe. I will then make a paper tube to run the wire through to make it easier to remove the servo's if needed.

ballerina7.jpg

I have also spent 2 hours assembling one wing (part of), I have had a bit of trouble with the spacing of the spar slots, the rear one seems to be slightly in the wrong place (about 1.5mm) compared to the location on the plan, so each one has been 'massaged' in to place.

The masking tape you can see at the front of the wing is pulling the lower sheeting up to each rib while I glue it in place, I am not sure if this is 'best practice' but seems to be working OK. I am using an off cut of spar material to also hold each rib in place while the glue cures, then I will fit the top spar and sheer webbing.

ballerina8.jpg

That looks pretty nice Wolston, I'm really looking forward for the weekend to resume the building of mine.

And following on the conversation about ribs made in one go (block) and one by one, see this pic below: this cannot be built one by one, but even if you could, this has to be a real pleasure to build (this project is on my list, BTW. Maybe one day...). I've even considered to build just one for the sake of building it...

aeronca003.jpg

Hi WF,

great progress! I know what you mean when you say you just have to use what's to hand. If you have a day off you want to use it to maximum effect, so you just go with what you have even if its a bit less than ideal! I do it all the time - I'd probably never get anything done otherwise!

Keep at it - its taking shape!

BEB

Thanks BEB!

I have a few extra days off work and the kids are back at school - just ducking the list of jobs that swmbo has given me devil

I just realised I made a big mistake with the lower wing sheeting, it is supposed to overhang the front of the ribs by 1/8 inch to allow for the leading edge to fit between the sheeting, I have cut mine so it is flush

Not the end of the world I suppose, I will have to make the leading edge deeper and get it flush ( hopefully) rather than the sheeting overlapping. At least it's on the under side of the wing and not the top where people might see the join under the covering

ballerina9.jpg

Can't be certain, but I don't think you'd need to do that. Just use a bit of overwide leading edge and be sure the sheeting edge is well glued to it. Then sand back the le to be flush with the sheeting. A good trick here is to put some light pencil marks on the sheeting with soft lead pencil. The idea is that when the pencil marks start to fade you know you are flush. Don't use a hard pencil or you will indent the balsa sheet!

BEB

A few more wing building pictures, this is going to be my last update for perhaps a week. I am back at work tomorrow and straight in to the thick of it!

ballerina10.jpg

My new 'toy' a David plane, the blade doesn't seem as sharp as I expected but it is doing a good job at levelling things out and makes less mess than sanding.

ballerina11.jpg

Almost ready for the rest of the sheeting and wing tip to go on and work out the servo mounting.

ballerina12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wolston,

AVC is right about this Ballerina MB not being a 'race'.

The same as with my own '"discovery journey", if I should to turn that into a race, it would also very fast be 'racing' into a total disaster. surprise

Take your time & stay with us... wink

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Race Control

• 2 weeks later...