2016 Nationals

Cuban8

There isnt going to be anywhere available for an August bank holiday, with a few months notice, but it and others perhaps were a couple of years ago, at the time, the pig flew over Leicester and no one at Chacksfield house saw it...

With an event and funds of this nature, Plan B cannot be..."we'll think of that if it happens"......but guess what....we are all thinking.....such a shame.

Advert

This all boils down to a few points to me;

This is the one place where you can see model flying disciplines in one place. I only ever fly rc but do enjoy all other aspects, control line etc.

The competition aspect is of no interest to me at all. However i do know others who go almost solely to watch the competitions.

I also enjoy the show line and the large trade presence

Therefore from my point of view the general make-up of the event should be left well alone. So the issue comes right back to the venue.

The Nats surely does not have to be on a bank holiday weekend. A change of date would surely open up the availability of possible venues? Certainly a current or former airfield location would appear preferable from size and facilities perspective. Whilst the Barkson/midland area would be sensible geographically, why not consider other areas? I would be prepared to travel a but further than my current couple of hrs if the nats retained its current format (less so if it became just another model show).

More local to me we have the likes of Elvington, with massive runways etc and no noise issues i would be very interested to know if they have been approached and/or discounted? But will we ever find out?

It does seem that being reliant on MOD venues as fixed locations as in the past, will be increasingly difficult to agree. Perhaps other than at locations such as Cosford, where a Museum is located and is operated as an open site. Both Barkston Heath and Woodvale are examples where the problems of access owe more to unwillingness, rather than real issues.

There are potentially other locations that could be considered, such as Tatton Park, Cheshire. In that this and similar properties are operated by the National Trust and hold many events already, such as flower shows, motor shows, the Cheshire Show. A model club already operates from the park. In this example not 7 miles away is the Barton CL centre, which could possibly be used for these aspects, if grass is not acceptable. Although this example is not suitable as it is does lie on the take of path for MIA requiring prudence in operation of models.

I suspect that both venues are on the wrong side of the country if Leicester focussed. On the plus side, venues such as these examples have less cross country issues, than many, as being either very close or just of the M6.

These examples have been used as i am aware of there existence, rather than trying to promote either.

Perhaps the suggestion already made is a very good one, and that is for the BMFA to engage in a public debate on what is really wanted, where is seen as attractive.

I for one liked the Woodvale concept, in that it served my wants as a modeller, and I am absolutely certain had many multiple of visitors than has ever attended the Nats. For me the real win, was that only a small fraction were already modellers, most were families, containing youngsters.

I have been looking at various population density maps of the UK, with emphasis on England, and Wales (and some would reasonably argue Cornwall).

The appropriate location with respect access by population appears to be near to Birmingham, perhaps the Bull Ring.

Map

There are other maps in the series, which are all about by political preferences. This made me think, what about the BMFA by membership? I understand that the North West region has the most clubs affiliated to the BMFA, which could mean they have the most members. Which again suggests to me that the west side of the country has the most members, which again points to Birmingham. Is there anywhere on Cannock Chase, or is that built on now? Or may be Cosford, put forward initially on the basis it seems a great location, although a day out trip from my neck of the woods.

Posted by john featherstone 1 on 11/03/2016 09:53:37:

what is wrong with you honky tonks this is the third time I have mentioned this WHAT ABOUT WOODVALE er????? ............., is it because its TO FAR NORTH is that the problem for goodness sake WAKE UP

WOW!! That is the most disgustingly rude comment I have seen on here!!

Just because you have mentioned it doesn't mean that it hasn't already been thought of and approached.

I must admit I am appalled at the targeting of the Service elements as a whole. It is not necessarily because the MOD or the RAF are unwilling, they really are involved in defence you know! They might have other things going on. Just because you don't get what you want the automatic suspicion and derision ensues.

I am Sorry, but I feel that the negative comments here are completely out of order. Couple that with the open criticism from the head of the BMFA (who should know better considering he is a knighted ex Air Chief Marshall!) I wonder whether we are going into a downward spiral where fewer land owners will help a bunch of grumpy old farts who demand and chastise more than they respectfully ask for.

I agree with Ian holme ,above ?in the 80s and 90s I used to fly at Elvington if memory serves me it was up for sale I had many words with Chris Bromley at the time about buying it for the BMFA SMAE his words to me were ITS NOT BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD THE NATS ?????? you could land the space shuttle on elvington and heres chris telling me its not big enough, he said what he ment to say was its not WIDE ENOUGH and the free flight boys would be going out of the airfield ??? I have been to the natsat barkston for a number of years and quess what the free flight boys go out of the air field and so do the chuck/n/duck as well I think its to late to do anything about the nats proberbly the end of an era

Electric God, it may surprise you, come as a great surprise, we have electricity up hear in the north. Not half a mile from me there is a house which has an electric light. So there!

Again it will be quite a surprise for you to be told that most of us have inside lavotories, generally one en-suite per sleeping room. Safly stored under the bed, emptied onto the allotment in the morning. I will concede that there is a move to having a lav in the yard. But who wants to go outside when it is cold or raining.

There are many things we could educate in, from culinary delights, from Black Puddings, Tripe and Pigs trotters.Or even the Full Lancashire Breakfast, of dripping on toast. Or high dinner of Pea Soup with Boiled Ribs.

As for beuty, nothing compares with the Wigan Alps, the Bickershaw Mound or the Black hills of Poynton. Of course it took decades of mining to create the Pennines. Everyone knows of Pennington Flash, a lake of outstanding beauty, formed by the collapse of old coal workings. or further north, Windermere, Wast Water, copper mines apparently the cause there.

Of course our luv of country pursuits is world known, from Ferrets to Gerning.

Perhaps the Nats should go to Wigan Peer? To the cultural centre of the known universe.

I am well travelled once having ventured as far south as Spaghetti Junction, near Birmingham, although I never did find the Spaghetti fields, i think it was not the season. These days I never venture further south than Knutsford Service Area, as I know once past the Cheshire Golden Triangle, the rest of the UK is full of paupers.

I would venture to Cosford though for the NATS

Posted by john stones 1 on 11/03/2016 16:12:23:

Never attended the Castle Howard fly ins I was working most weekends then, anyone tell me a bit about them ?

attendance figures, format and why they stopped happening ?

John

They were organised by Andy Symmons and held on a field right by Castle Howard itself. They were quite low key but attracted some well known fliers, mostly from the north and north midlands. Unfortunately the field would be far too small to hold anything as big as the Nationals. I suppose they were on a par with Greenacres with a similar relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I think there was a change in event management that brought them to a halt but Andy would know more about that.

I spoke to an F3a flier up at the field today who usually competes in their championship at Barkston. He told me that there would be no F3a nationals this year, which is sad. I hope it won't apply to many other disciplines.

One thing I enjoy about the current nationals programme is the opportunity to see how others enjoy their aeromodelling. I'm a sport rc flier, like most, but it's great seeing control line events as well as rc competitions like scale and fun fly. I probably spend most time watching the scale competition. Without the various competitions, the nationals would just be another model air show.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...