What model?

Hi,

I'm looking to get some electric ARTF models to quickly get me back in the air while I finish the builds on my IC models. I've seen some really good reviews and videos of Dynam models but they all show them taking off and landing on tarmac runways, all the flying clubs around me use grass strips.

Does anyone know if these models are capable of grass take offs? Or any suggestions of a good model/make for grass which isn't too lazy in the air.

Advert

Virtually all of them will happily take off from grass....

Though I do wonder why you want to invest in Electric then go IC, why not go straight for an IC ARTF?

If you want a trainer style - then Seagull E-Pioneer, Hobbyking Trainstar + LOADS more

Low Wing Trainer - Kyosho Calmato 60

More Aerobatic - Hobbyking Arrow, Kyosho Calmato Sport (the smaller one)

I was looking at the wot 4 and acro wot models as I grew up flying and building wot 4's and its a lovely all rounder, one of my projects at the minute is an acro wot so might be a nice way to get used to the aircraft before getting the big one up.

To be honest Dave I never even thought of IC ARTF. The whole ARTF genre is quite new to me still, I've had an 8 year break from proper flying and building, so a little desperate to get back into it this summer. That sounds like a very nice option. I'm a little weary of jumping straight into electric as I've had some park flyer style ones and they have been very under powered and not very responsive which has made flying them a bit of a chore rather than a pleasure.

• 11 months later...
Posted by Ian Smart 1 on 24/01/2017 12:31:32:

So I have all the tech bits motor, servos etc. all working donated by a very good friend, but I now need a model to fit them into. I would like a kit preferably. I have a West Wings Spitfire but not sure if this is feasible. Any suggestion and note only a small budget.

You don't Tel us your RC flying experience, if its low then a Spit is definitely NOT the way to go

If you are learning to fly you need a trainer

Anybody suggest an Acrobatic type plane for taking the 'B' certificate. I have the 'A' certificate and have been flying all types of planes for 6 or 7 years. The nearest thing I have at the moment is an Artizan but it is getting a bit beat up now,although I would need to replace the stabilised radio or disable it.

But time for a new model.

Ian Usmar - the question you ask is impossible to answer

The size of the aircraft will determine how much power it will need

The power will be restricted by the capability of the Motor/Battery/Propeller combination (assuming you are going electric)

If you have zero knowledge of RC Flying - in my view the first thing you should do is make contact with a club - they will help you along when you join, make sure you are insured and teach you how to fly - and many clubs have a club trainer you can fly with the assistance of an experienced pilot

The BMFA Club Finder is here -> **LINK**

If you tell us the make and model of your motor and the details of your lipos we might be able to give you some ideas for planes