Super Marauder FS

Peter Miller

• 1 year later...

Peter, just seen yours. Wouldn’t that be great!

Mike, when I looked at Pete’s design the resemblance to a Chance Vought Crusader at the front was striking! I then thought that with a bit of imagination it could be considered as a turbo-prop follow on to the Skyraider. (There actually was one, the Skyshark, a great big brute that didn’t succeed because of the unsuccessful engine). By reducing the weight using a lot of Depron I made it suitable for a 375W contra-rotating electric set-up. It flies very well and really looks the part. I also fitted retracts to complete the exercise! I reduced the depth of the nose a little bit because I wasn’t trying to conceal a big four-stroke and while I wouldn’t call it a beautiful plane, it certainly has some presence. I did a build blog on it and if you want to have a look you’ll find it alongside Pete’s under “Super Marauder”.

I just remembered something.

Back in the late 50s or early 60s Model Aircraft published a plan for a control line Fairy Gannet with contra props.

IT used an OS 35 driving one prop and an OS 15 geared to an outer shaft turning the rear prop.

I imagine that 99% of readers looked at the plan (or rather, the article), shuddered and passed on rapidly.

Just found it, Sarik Vacform list it 

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/ma380-fairy-gannet/

Edited By Peter Miller on 27/12/2017 11:05:56

All good stuff. I have to say though the electric co-axial motors from HK are dead simple to set up and use and work very well. I think with the 375w set-up,the SM in lightened form is about the limit on size, although it’s fully aerobatic. Himax in the USA go all the way from 120 through 440, 800, 2050 and 3,600 Watts, nicely engineered twin motor co-axials but getting more expensive.