Cheap ARTF sloper suggestions?

I'm going away to Cornwall, which will involve a few trips to St. Agnes Head. I want something aerobatic, sturdyish and 1.5m or less. Flaps preferred but not essential. Key thing is it be simple to build. I've got a 1.5m mouldie that's still stumping me, so I want a quick build.

Any suggestions?

Advert

Another +1 for Wildthing -

Reasons:

They are compact - easy to pack in the car amongst all the other travel gubbins - dont really need any special treatment during transport - eg boxing up etc.

Great fun in the air - from light winds to roaring gales!

Almost (but not quite ) unbreakable.

Easy to carry up the hill to a new slope when on holiday

Not to obtrusive as you sneak them into the Hotel/B&B/ friends or relatives house for a quick battery recharge!

I generally put mine in the car whenever I manage a weekend away.

Shame they are on back-order currently. Odd ones do turn up on ebay or at swap meets however.

Just my tuppence worth!

Regards H

SAS Wildthing. I would join what Harry and Steve and Martyn have said. The Wildthing is not to be beaten as a first sloper. It is more a matter of assembly rather than building and it will only take you two or three evenings at most to put it together. It is virtually indestructible so is ideal for someone new to the slope. The main thing for me is that it can handle a gale as it penetrates so well but it will also scratch around in light lift. A good model to take to the slope to test the conditions or to 'get your hand in' after a break from flying. Just my 2p worth.

Go Wildthing

I asked a very similar question ages ago and went for the M60. The M60 took a long time to build, is expensive and needs unhurried accuracy. The finished M60 flies extremely well in strong wind (I made it specifically for this) and we have a blast flying it, BUT by the time we had built it the itch had been scratched and the moment had passed...my boys had gone back to school etc etc. so I BITTERLY REGRET NOT TAKING ADVICE TO GET THE WILDTHING.

I cant recall who said it, some ww2 boffin, but he was right when he said "Dont give me your first best answers, give me your second best ones. First best will take you too long to deliver, I'd rather have second best NOW".

Go Wildthing.

D

Yea David, I agree with the M60 build. I've just completed its smaller 46" cousin, the Moth and spending a couple of hours on it a few evenings a week, it took me about 3 weeks to complete.

It is far more complex a build than a Wildthing, but not a difficult build in itself. I didn't bother fitting mine with a ballast tube as I have a heavier, similar model to the M60, a Ron Broughton Polecat, which I fly when the wind speeds are in excess of about 23 mph.

• 6 months later...