Things to do on the slope

Andy Meade

Guys and Gals,

As some of you may be aware, I've had a couple of ideas for fun things to do whilst PSSAing it up on the slopes. Yes, there is always tail chasing / synchro aero / formation flying / guess where Phil landed a JP this time etc. This is just a few thoughts on extra things we can entertain ourselves (and others) with.

Bomb the circle

For this, a quick mod on your PSS masterpiece may be required. SLEC offer a pop-apart bomb, as do Hobbyking - the HK device is servo-less so essentially easier to install, though the SLEC item is smaller.

I will rope-off a 6m-ish diameter circle, which we can then have a go at nuking from orbit dropping our loads into. There will be a prize for closest to the centre.

We will assess the risk for dropping the bombs on each flying site through the year, and on each day too. Spotters will be used to ensure Joe Public and the Right Honourable PSS Pilots are clear of the target range before commencing your run-in.

Air Refuelling

I dreamt this one up the other day on dog walks. Firstly, take a large, tanker-ish aircraft. Ooh -a big silver BUFF for instance. Modify one of it's engine pods to house a small lipo, a long lightweight silicone wire, and a high-intensity LED (or LED flashing circuit).

Our plucky "tanker" flier flies up and down the slope, trailing his hose (hur hur) with an oversized basket on the end. Said basket is the "female" with two concentric rings of conductive foil. The thirsty fighter jockey approaches from the rear, and guide his probe into the basket. The probe can be rubber-banded on to any model you fancy - A4's would look nice, Vulcans had a long one, JP's I think were devoid, but then a scale look went out the window when we were refuelling from a NASA research bomber.

The probe is a good match for the interior of the basket, and is also covered in tin foil. It completes the circuit, and makes an LED flash / buzzer sound on the tanker. I was going to say longest refuelling wins, but I think a prize should be awarded for just mating the two together in slope lift. Want to use FPV to guide it in? Great - just make sure you are legal for video transmission power, and have a spotter in case it goes pear shape. Record your video though so we can all appreciate it.

I will make a few probes that can be banded-on to your chose victim, and will supply the refuelling gear on the BUFF. I can also fly the BUFF, and there may  be a dedicated tanker aircraft in the works for PSS use anyway, and this will be a jolly interesting addition to it.

That's it. Thoughts? Interested? Fancy it? Questions? Post away.

Edited By Andy Meade on 26/02/2016 10:10:48

Edited By Andy Meade on 26/02/2016 10:11:09

Ill fit some bombs to my Sea Fury, not for April though, Ive got too much on - but should be done for the Bwlch in May.

And call me precious - but I'm not sure about putting my brand new A-4 into such a precarious situation as flying 2 feet behind your BUFF Andy - I could fit one of your probes to the T-33 or JP though, I do like the idea of completing the circuit and illuminating a light on your model - clever stuff!! thumbs up

A new scale model is like a new pair of trainers isn't it - those first few outings you do all you can to keep them pristine until you get the inevitable couple of scuffs and then they're fit for football practice.

My JP after its second significant arrival/repair now falls into this 'function over beauty' category but it will still provide a heap of fun!