High to low wing

Glyn44

For a year or so I have been learning to fly with the normal high wing trainers, as recommended by one and all. e flite Apprentice, Riot, Wot 4. One afternoon a fellow clubman was flying a model, and chuntering that he was going to sell it as it " just not fast enough " and he was rather board with it.

So when he landed I said how much? 50 quid without the Rx. Done deal.

The model in question was a Seagull PC 9 Roulette. He helped me set up my Tx, rates and grows etc. Gave it the safety check once over, put it on the grass and away she went.

Ok now I had never flown a low wing, or scale model before. Simply because I was warned off, Difficult to fly, land so I just did not buy one for fear chucking money into the ground.

Ok, what happened, you cry. At lift off it banked steeply to the left. My trainers did not do that. It was climbing so instinct or panic, made me correct and after a few steady circuits, bit of trimming, I just loved it!

It was quick, well for me for now, super responsive, had to put in some expo on landing, I don't normally use it. Oh, landing scale, no flaps, didn't think about it too much but it was ok.

I now fly her much of the time and just think it's great. I now practice my simple aerobatics on my trainers, then onto the PC 9, which is quicker to respond but still ok for me.

So what's my point. Simply don't be shy of making the transition, cheap model first? Certainly. Be mentally prepared for some differences in characteristics.

But hey go for it, you will be glad that you did , I think.

Regards, Glyn.

Advert

Well done Glynn!

You've really handled the whole process of learning to fly RC models very well. Going from something like the Apprentice to the WOT4 was a good step. The Wotty flies more like a low ling than a high wing model.really so its a great intermediate step. Then on to a sensible low winger.

All this has meant you've managed it probably without breaking very much and that in turn has built your confidence. Great stuff. Its very definitely the best path to being a good RC pilot.

Sadly so many don't take it step-by-step. Some, as we know, just dive in the deep end, trying to learn to fly on a model that would be classed as "challenging" by any pilot! They either change or they don't stay I find. They discover that £200 expense and 3 days assembling in the shed for 1 minute's frantic out-control-flying is niot a good return rate on investment!

Others, while they do follow the advice about starting off on a trainer, as soon as they do their first take off and landing with it themselves are down at the strip next time with a 60" span Mustang! That doesn't work too well either. As you have found a good trainer still has lots to teach you long after you have mastered the basics. As I often say to those who think they are "beyond the trainer stage now" just try flying a simple neat circuit with a trainer, inverted! Its fairly difficult!

Anyway - congrats, enjoy and just continue to take it one-step-at-a-time, aterall, its not race or a "who can smash the most models" competition - although I do sometimes wonder wink 2

BEB

I fly mode 2, which perhaps isn't a good idea for me as my right hand doesn't work really well despite my being right handed, so to ease the interaction between ailerons and elevator I use a lot of expo - 15 to 20%. I find it works very well for me.

I can't remember what my first low winger was. I suppose a Precedent Fun Fly if you count that (it's a mid wing) and it's what I passed my 'A' with. I don't think there's as much difference as is often cited. There are some very lively high wingers like my Limbo Dancer or even the Riot with rearward CoG and bigger throws.

Anyway well done, Glyn. I hope you continue to enjoy the PC9 and those that follow on.

Geoff

""Next time try a biplane. You may just find the characteristics different again...........""

Oh Percy, in my hanger is a wots wot! But as BEB says no rush. I bought it the week they were available. I've got itchy fingers I have to admit. I'll wait til fair weather arrives, but it does look a beauty.

Yes I did smash a couple, but they were repairable, with help and advice. The wot 4 is taped and glued up to,death. I use it to try all my experimental stuff out on!

i have to say there was a lot of doom and gloom opinions given about me flying a low wing plane, which really put the frighteners on me for a good 12 months. I had no intentions of doing it until that chance opportunity arose, and the price was very agreeable.

So if you are out there thinking of of the transfer be a little confident in yourself. It really isn't that bad. Honest.

The Bipe, I'll have to let you know! Perhaps you can give some pointers on what to expect during its maiden.

cheers, Glyn.

I transitioned from high wing to low on a Kyosho Calmato 60 (not the smaller aerobatic one) to be honest the biggest handicap is between your ears.... the Calmato has a really long tail moment so it tracks well across wing, just enough dihedral to be stable in the air, on full rates you can chuck it round like a hooligan, on low rates its a pussycat and capable of a wide speed range too

My experience was similar to Dave above.

The model was a Kyosho Calmato ST 1400 which is ( the smaller aerobatic one). Like Dave says, the biggest handicap is indeed what's between your ears. I found the transition very positive and really enjoyed the extra responsiveness of the model over a high wing trainer type. The Calmato continues to be a regular flyer to this day.

My current major project is a PC-9 also, the Phoenix Model one.

Happy and safe flying Glyn.

Steve.

I got my Wots-Wot at the 2014 NATs, so its over 18 months old and it probably the model I fly most often. It's a beaut Glynn, no real vices, will fly increadably slowly if you want it to! Benign stall anyway.

If you are getting used to the low-winger I don't think you need wait any long time for the Wots-Wot - put the control throws a little lower if you want, mine has 30% expo dailed in on ailerons and elevator (no expo on rudder). But expo is a personal taste thing - so use the value you are happiest with.

Regarding how different? Well its very neutral and agile - but not scarily so. The one thing you will find a difference with is if you use the "cut and glide" method of landing approach (ie throttle back to zero on the cross wind leg then just approach down the glide path) the Wots Wot, in common with most bipes, doesn't really like that. The extra wing and the struts etc all add up tp a lot more drag, so when you shut the throttle "the brakes go on" - big style! Therefore its better to leave a little power on during the final approach then chop it just in the flair before touch down.

But overall, she's a pussy-cat - OK cif you rank up the throws and light the fires and she can really go, but to start with she'll give you a nice stable flight with gentle aerobatics.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/02/2016 15:49:10