Dear Mr Spektrum

Glyn44

Dear Sirs/Madam,

Yesterday my flying buddy was helping me to set up a sailplane, as I had no real idea how to do it, on my new DX9. We wanted three flying modes, all on one switch, crow braking etc etc, well so he said.

I sat along side of him listening to a thousand Tx click noises. Peering across to try and get some idea of what the hell was going on. What page is he on, what is he selecting, adjusting, inhibiting. You get the picture.

My point is that the screen on your Tx is not designed to be viewed fron an obtuse angle, fair enough for a single user. It's not a great screen by modern standards anyway.

So could you you put a video out socket somewhere so we could have connected to a computer and I could have watched all the action on the big screen.

Just a thought ,

Yours faithfully.

Glyn.

Advert

Glynn, just get a Taranis - programmable either on the Tx (a la other transmiters) or on the PC/iPad etc with a nice big screen and multiple tabs all visible so you can get a really clear overview of the programming without going up and down loads of menus!

"One day,...all transmitters will be like this" Until then there is Taranis!

BEB

Ah Taranis. Got one of them. Definitely not for a beginner. Also got a Mac. I could never get Companion to send the instructions to the Tx. Been in a cupboard for 12 months. Can't get any assistance with it at the club, everyone's (2) given up on them. Anyone want it???

So, the considered advice to the gent who raised a sensible point about the screen on (most) modern transmitters is "Get a Taranis".

This place hasn't changed then....

The Taranis is a radio for nerds programmers and geeks. There are a number in our club. They are cheap you see. Do you think the non nerdy, programmer type geeks can use them? No. No they can't. Nor do they really want to and many, like Glynn44's are unused. Especially when they see an instructor programme from scratch, bind and test fly a model on a Spektrum/Futaba/JR/Hitec etc. set in mere minutes.

I would also suggest Glyn44 that your dude who programmed your 9 with a thousand clicks, may not have been overly familiar with the depths of the Spektrum programmes. It is a pain felt by many instructors when asked to programme models on a different brand of gear than their own.

Taranis users can often be spotted heading home to plug into the laptop and reverse the rudder servo......

Andy

(Who thinks a video outlet socket on a DX18 will make for a great club night presentation on setting up models)....

Spot on slopetrasuk, but in fairness to my buddy he as has a DX18, fairly old, and my 9 is new. Not the same menus he says. He knew what he wanted to do, and we did get there, after three cuppas. I just found it very hard to follow what was being done by looking at the screen. It's very indistict when viewed from the side.

Yes you are quite right about a set up club session on a bigger screen. There are many guys to help with model selection, flying tips and all things flying. But setting up a plane from scratch, not so easy. On the owners Tx.

Once you have done a few, my DX9 is not so bad, but this was my first glider with flaps, so I thought help was advisable. I also saw something called camber, that needed messing with. Still no idea what that is! Before you shout at me, I am going to google, and look into the manual!!! Later today.

Lastly, Robin, it's not Christmas yet! I tell myself I will use it one day.... Soon?

Happy flying to all, Glyn.

My Taranis is great. I never use companion to program it. I can do everything I need to do just using the Taranis menus. Its very intuitive and super flexible. There is really no need to be a nerd or a geek. Programming a Taranis is just different from a "normal" TX as its a blank slate. Once you get your head around that you can make it do ANYTHING you want.

Setting up all that glider stuff is easy with a Taranis where doing the same thing on a Spektrum TX is probably going to be a cludge, where you would need to be nerdy geek to overcome the limitations of the on board configuration system.

The cost of the receivers and telemetry modules are very low too, unlike Spektrum units, which cost a small fortune.

Posted by Slopetrashuk on 03/03/2016 12:40:08:

So, the considered advice to the gent who raised a sensible point about the screen on (most) modern transmitters is "Get a Taranis".

This place hasn't changed then....

The Taranis is a radio for nerds programmers and geeks. There are a number in our club. They are cheap you see. Do you think the non nerdy, programmer type geeks can use them? No. No they can't. Nor do they really want to and many, like Glynn44's are unused. Especially when they see an instructor programme from scratch, bind and test fly a model on a Spektrum/Futaba/JR/Hitec etc. set in mere minutes.

I would also suggest Glyn44 that your dude who programmed your 9 with a thousand clicks, may not have been overly familiar with the depths of the Spektrum programmes. It is a pain felt by many instructors when asked to programme models on a different brand of gear than their own.

Taranis users can often be spotted heading home to plug into the laptop and reverse the rudder servo......

Andy

(Who thinks a video outlet socket on a DX18 will make for a great club night presentation on setting up models)....

As you say Andy - nothing changes and ignorance is bliss - indeed even to be celebrated as virtue in some quarters apparently. Its a strange world.

Nowt geeky or nerdy about me my friend - just an ability, and willingnees, to read simple instructions, a healthy open mind and perhaps an absence of the sort of "I don't need to read this because I'm an expert" arrogance so prevalant in some quarters? Of course when such folks fail it is the system that is at fault, the "geeks" that are at fault, the computer that is at fault,....funny its never them?

BEB

Can't see any point in that as iPad as no USB port, or any other hard input.

I tried companion for IOS, on a desk top Mac, about 6 moths ago, I could certainly program a set up ok, but could not get it to transfer onto the Tx. I must say the only Tx I had ever owned before was Spekie 5e, so it was possibly a leap too far at the time, as I said before, one day I'll probably dig it out and have another go. I'm more than happy with my 9 though. Enough on there to keep me happy for a while.

Quick question I am using a 6 ch Rx, plane has a servo wing, therefore I need a Y lead. Would you put on the flaps or ailerons? Does it matter?

Posted by Glyn44 on 03/03/2016 13:55:02:

Can't see any point in that as iPad as no USB port, or any other hard input.

I tried companion for IOS, on a desk top Mac, about 6 moths ago, I could certainly program a set up ok, but could not get it to transfer onto the Tx. I must say the only Tx I had ever owned before was Spekie 5e, so it was possibly a leap too far at the time, as I said before, one day I'll probably dig it out and have another go. I'm more than happy with my 9 though. Enough on there to keep me happy for a while.

Quick question I am using a 6 ch Rx, plane has a servo wing, therefore I need a Y lead. Would you put on the flaps or ailerons? Does it matter?

I would have the flaps on the Y lead as its the least used control surface

Glyn - I believe the iPad's charger socket can be used as an input/output socket.

Dave - I have read through the tutorial you linked to but no mention of iPad.

I was just intrigued by BEB's comment re programming via PC/iPad and, if there was a free or cheap app available, I would have acquired it. No problem since I'm not really that bothered - my PC does me fine.

Ian

Edited By IanR on 03/03/2016 14:26:18

Glyn44. Not sure watching someone else clicking and rolling is the way to learn.

Best way is to quietly sit on your own with the manual and set it to a spare channel ,obviously you will need to bind it. Just go through the menus and play. I am not familiar with the DX9 but the Dx8 is pretty intuitive Just get a feel for how it thinks.

Posted by Glyn44 on 03/03/2016 13:55:02

depends what you want to do, if you want crow braking then Y lead the flaps, if you want aileron-flap mixing for full span ailerons then Y lead the ailerons. But you'll need to check if one of the flap servos needs reversing.

First let me say I think Glyn44 and Andy's idea of a video outlet on Tx's is an excellent idea no matter what the brand.

As for having to be a nerd or geek to program a Taranis I would say that statement applies to any Tx encountered for the first time ( if all else fails read the instructions )

I think Gln44 your problem was not with the Taranis but that you were unable to transfer your programming from laptop to radio, now I know this can be done because one of the guys at our club has the same setup. Am I myself a Taranis owner "yes I am" is it only for geeks and nerds or programmers certainly no,t if it was I would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

I own and have used a JR 9303 for years and love i,t even converted it from FM 72mz to 2.4 GHz with a spektrum module but as it is getting older I wanted another radio, just in case, if you know what I mean, looked at the new JR's didn't like the looks and disliked the price even more so for a long time searched for something I liked the look of ignoring the Taranis because I equated cost with quality.

Anyway a friend had had a Taranis for about a year and suggested I get one as he loved his and had no problems other than the programming buttons coming loose which has now been addressed so I did and honestly haven't looked back, yes I still ask for help often finding it on this and other forums, help that I found hard to find for my JR when needed, in a lot of respects I find the Taranis more intuitive than the JR or Spektrum in others not so much.

So for a pensioner on a fixed income who is neither a nerd or a geek the Taranis fills the spot that it would take between $1500 -$3500 to fill with another brand, as for the video outlet I wonder who will be the first and at what cost??

Just my ten penneth.beer"s

Edited By Tony Richardson on 03/03/2016 17:44:21

Edited By Tony Richardson on 03/03/2016 17:46:05