Solent Sailplanes Ridge Racer

Picked up a swapmeet bargain this morning that looks interesting - a Solent Sailplanes International Ridge Racer, which I'm informed dates back to the early nineties or possibly earlier.

She needs a little bit of TLC, rehinging the rudder and sorting out a very sloppy snake on the elevator, but is in pretty good shape for her age.

I'll probably also swap out the single standard servo and Bowden cable aileron linkage for a microservo in each wing.

Anyone remember these models?

Posted by ron evans on 12/03/2016 18:22:44:

A flying pal had one back in the 80s, a great glider, fast and aerobatic. All moving tailplane I seem to remember,needs a slop free drive.

Lucky chap...I'd love one.

Ron

This one has a conventional tail, but that snake has to go and it looks like a normal pushrod will be doable.

I remember having a Ridge Racer, a very slippery ship. I remember it flew as well upside down as up the right way. It gave me a scare on the first flight when I found that it only went where you pointed it. I'd never flown anything with such a penetrating flight. I gave the glass fuselage to a guy at the tip when we moved house three years ago.

I don't know if Sailplanes International had a glider named Ridge Runner but there was an American design by that name published in RCM magazine.
Sailplanes Int "Ridge" designs included Ridge Rover [Dual span - 104"/151"], Ridge Rider [Also dual span - 86"/124"] Ridge Recruit, Ridge Racer & Mini Racer.
Amongst there other kits was a 179" span model called Royalist that was also available with "rotating wings" instead of ailerons at 86"/124" spans.
IIRC they were also the distributer of the all moving wing design "Axel" but I don't think it was in any way connected to the Sitar record holding design or the Sitar F3B.
Another AMW sloper in the same era was the Caldercraft Spiral.
BTW I don't think any of the AMW designs proved popular, simply because they weren't a match for conventional aileron equipped slopers.

The Ridge Racer might date as far back as the late 70's. I remember them from a few slope pylon racing events that I entered during the late 70's early 80's when they earned the nickname Ridge Pudding. It was always good to be drawn against one in a heat wink 2

Edited By PatMc on 12/03/2016 21:21:22

PatMc, you have jogged my fading memory, it was a Mini Racer my pal flew, 60" span not a Ridge Racer.

I do remember the wing joiner/pivot bent under load on the Axle. I think at the time Sailplanes International had their factory a few miles away at Abertillery

Edited By ron evans on 12/03/2016 21:53:47

"Solent Sailplanes" was a guy called Tony Baker who was a member of my club, the Meon Valley Soaring Association. My guess would be that the Ridge Racer dates from around 1975/6. For a brief period Tony wrote a soaring column in one of the magazines but I don't think it lasted very long....... Does anybody remember that or better still, have a copy?  I moved away from that area in 1977, does anybody know what became of Tony Baker?

Paul

Edited By Paul Jefferies on 12/03/2016 23:45:41

Edited By Paul Jefferies on 12/03/2016 23:55:03

Paul, wasn't it Tony Baker who used to provide the girlie cover photos for some issues of RCM&E when Bill Burkinshaw was editor ?

I vaguely remember that he might have wrote the soaring column in RCM&E at one time but IMO gliding was always covered better by RM, the content of his column (If it was him) don't stir any memories.

PatMc, there was a Ridge Runner from Solent Sailplanes as well. It looked similar to the Racer, the comparison would be similar to that between the Wots Wot and the Uno Wot i.e. very similar in appearance but suitable for less experienced or ambitious pilots.

I think Paul's estimate on the dates is about right. Certainly when I started going up the Malverns, the Ridge Racer was well known and I think that was about 1977.

Apart from remembering that it was a top-notch plane, that is all I know about it. I don't know anything about Tony Baker.

Pat, yes, Tony was a photograher and also had a modelling agency though I was never sure how serious he was about these pursuits or whether it was just a ploy for meeting lots of very attractive ladies! I don't think his magazine column was very successful and it didn't last long. I wasn't aware of his "lecture tour" that was probably after I left the area. He was certainly an entertaining character, a few years older than me so he must be into his 70s by now..........

I don't remember the Ridge Runner but I do remember the 'Racer and the R/E trainer version called the Ridge Recruit which I think used the same fuselage and tail but a simple wing with some dihedral. Tony never made any of the components himself but contracted the wings and fuselages out. I seem to remember that some of the fuselages had a bit of a dry layup and were a bit fragile. They could have done with a slightly heavier matting and a bit more resin! wink 2

Edited By Paul Jefferies on 13/03/2016 08:35:09

• 1 month later...

Subject of another thread so I won't labour it here but I bought a 2nd hand glider which was eventually identified as a Sailplanes International design, in fact I flew it just last week, sweet as a nut. This model is the Secret Weapon which it seems was also very popular.

sisw2.jpg

Hope yours turns out well too LF

This link answers the question about Tony Bakers Involvement with RCM&E, no girlies on the cover though.

Edited By Ian Jones on 29/04/2016 00:42:39

The Ridge Runner mentioned above, is that the RCM Plans one shown here?? **LINK**

I inherited one of these quite some years ago and was really impressed with how it flew. Plans show a built up wing, however the one I had was foam core with veneer skins. Flew really great, but didn't like landing through number 8 wire fencing! Go figure!

Tell me, why is it that atop of all the best slopes for sloe soaring, a dirty great fence has to be erected along the top of it?

Cheers,

I remember my nephew Nigel was given a Ridge Racer when he was 14 years old. He is now 53 !

Nigel was taken I think to Devils Dyke to fly the plane and came back elated having had a half hour flight. It was the first plane with ailerons he had flown. However the plane was wrecked on landing, the fibre glass fuselage having shattered.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Re SS Ridge Racer. I'm wondering about creating a balsa replica. I guess there never were any plans for the original given that the fuse and wings were ready made. I know the span was 72" and I can draw a pretty decent plan from photos. But, if any drawings do exist a copy would be great.
Can anyone tell me what the airfoil section was please? If not the number of it then maybe just a description of the airfoil would be interesting.
Thanks a lot.
David

Perhaps you could try contacting John Woodfield as he may have a plan or at least created his own plan as he most likely built the model in the video. At any rate he may be of some assistance. Nice video anyway and post some details if you have any success.

I have just noticed that he replied to one of the uTubers questions that he 'doesn't know much about it as he got if from a swap meet!' It has a balsa fuselage though, so not an original kit.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/12/2020 06:06:14

Posted by John Durndell on 24/12/2020 06:12:00:

I think I have plans for the SS Ridge Racer !! In fact I have plans for most of the SS models !!!

Hello John. You have a Ridge Racer plan! Great news. If you could copy it or take a digital photo that would be great. Like Piers, I shall send you a private message with my email address.
Happy Christmas,
David