Taranis Failsafe

Martyn K

Advert

• 1 year later...

Sorry for starting this off again, I have just set my failsafe on the Rx, X6R and to get rid of the Transmitter start up from saying failsafe not set I've set the failsafe mode which has - Not set, Hold, Custom, No pulses, Receiver to Receiver. Is this correct as reading through this thread I didn't see any mention of the mode setting Receiver in the model set up.

I did exactly the same as Dave Hopkin when I first got my Taranis having been accustomed to a Mux3030 with the on/off switch right out of the way. I was trying to feed in up elevator on my Acrowot 'E'. Of course it reverted to the fail-safe position I'd set which was with too much down elevator with the inevitable result! It just took too long to reboot once I'd realised my stupidity.

I very quickly put in place Andy48's solution with the strap hanger bracket even though I always use a tray.

It was, as Pete B wrote, exciting And not in a good way.

Geoff

I have never used FrSky Fail Safe on the Transmitter (other than testing it during Horus Beta). I always use the Rx button set process and on most planes I set no throttle and a tight spiral so when it goes in its in our field.

I have no compunction at all on trying to save the model, my ONLY concern is that it falls in boundary and avoids an incident.

On Heli's (without panic mode) I set for negative pitch hoping its right way up when it fails so that I just might get it back with energy in the rotor in time to autorotate to reduce the impact. (I practice autorotation regularly.

MR's are just set to centre all controls apart from killing throttle dead.

I have a couple of near bullet proof foam wings and I practise ultra low recovery from FS conditions.

I've read a lot about software update etc. I've never updated any of my radios, either JR 35 or Spektrum. If I were to get a Horus could I just buy, fit and fly forever, as I'm not keen on the thought of potentially disrupting what is already set-up and working.

Cheers

CB

I know if you've used the tx to set the failsafe after about 9 seconds it sets the Rx some how but I set it on the Rx button. I hope by selecting receiver mode on the tx failsafe it's not going to give me problems later on. I'm finding it a tad strange.

That's a good question Trebor.

I do believe that the Tx sends the failsafe settings to the Rx about every 9 seconds.

Because of this I always set the failsafe using the Tx (or in Companion). I just find this nice and flexible and predictable and it removes the uncertainty of - "Will the Tx override my setting, if I use the Rx button method?".

I would think that setting "receiver mode" in the Tx settings would mean "use the settings that were set by using the Rx button method". But I'm not absolutely certain on that.

The only thing I can find states, Receiver, set failsafe on Rx in d16 mode. Select it in menu and wait 9 seconds for failsafe to take effect. Does that mean it just stops the failsafe reminder on start up ? I didn't hear any beeps after 9 seconds so I'm not sure if it's done anything.

Not set - as it says, and should show a warning.

Hold - Sent by the Tx every 9 seconds, Rx outputs hold thei last position

Custom - Sent by the Tx every 9 seconds, Rx outputs go to the values programmed in the Tx

No pulses - Sent by the Tx every 9 seconds, Rx outputs are stopped

Receiver- Tx doesn't send any failsafe settings, Rx outputs go to position as set using the Rx button (if set).

Note that if you use a S8R or S6R (stabilising) receiver, you cannot use the receiver option as pressing the button causes the Rx to enter "Self check" mode.

Mike.

ChrisB - have Messaged you info as your last post question on need to update off topic.

There was a period during early Beta where the Horus would not allow Rx Fail Safe, only the Tx settings worked. If you set on RX then the Tx default would override, even if nothing set to work.

I found this particularly frustrating and really do not see Tx menu setting of Fail Safe as any advantage! Put all the sticks and switches where you wish, looking at model to see the effect, and press Rx bind button briefly, LED flashes twice, done..............Simples.

There are clearly more choices if you use the Tx to set failsafe. (Receiver being one of them).

I don't think there's a right way to set failsafe, except throttle low, that covers every model attitude where a failsafe might occur. (e.g. Top of a loop, hard banking turn etc.)

So choices are good.

By the way, the S6R and S8R can be set to go to self level. but I'm not even sure if that's a good idea if the model is capable of a fly away?

Posted by ChrisB on 24/07/2017 22:09:07:

I've read a lot about software update etc. I've never updated any of my radios, either JR 35 or Spektrum. If I were to get a Horus could I just buy, fit and fly forever, as I'm not keen on the thought of potentially disrupting what is already set-up and working.

Cheers

CB

Bit off topic, but updating the firmware does not normally disrupt existing set-ups. Occasionally OpenTX has a major update which may mean some changes to model settings, they warn you of this if it will happen. However, the positive changes to the system invariably outweigh checking each model.

Yes you could buy, fit and fly forever, but eventually it would get more and more out of date. The other alternative is to buy a new radio with new firmware from time to time as you seem to have done.

But if it gets more out of date, what does it matter? I can understand this is important for web connected devices for security reasons, but Tx software isn't like that. If it is bug free, and performs all the functions that you want, why change it and risk introducing new bugs?

I have had an X9D for quite some time and confess to knowing little about it. If anything gets out of sorts such as the audio I get my local club guru to do it. He advised and changed the complete system to pre EU (global) s/w,

something to do with if I buy more than the two each of X8R and D8R which I have, being compatible with the Tx.

I could be wrong here and a future Rx may need reprogramming.

There are certainly still some bugs in the system such as RSSI lost when the Tx is too close to an X8R.

I really should start to use it more but old habits die hard and I very much still like my JR stuff. Same Tx case helps with the feel of it though.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 25/07/2017 22:49:58:

There are certainly still some bugs in the system such as RSSI lost when the Tx is too close to an X8R.

I don't think this is a bug as such, and in any case, this issue is in the FrSky firmware, not OpenTX. I do know, for instance, when I had a Spektrum, that would not bind if the transmitter was too close to the receiver.

Interesting though, the Horus seems less prone to this.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 25/07/2017 22:23:01:

But if it gets more out of date, what does it matter? I can understand this is important for web connected devices for security reasons, but Tx software isn't like that. If it is bug free, and performs all the functions that you want, why change it and risk introducing new bugs?

In one sense it does not matter at all. However, having used the Taranis for some time now, I find I am using more and more of the features of the system, and keeping it updated is a sensible way forward. I have repeatedly found features I never knew I needed yet now consider essential. After all, as I pointed out, why buy a new transmitter if the ones you have do everything you want. Why have most people moved from 35Mhz to 2.4Ghz?

I think your concern about introducing new bugs is perhaps minimal. When a major upgrade comes through (say like OpenTX 2.2) then hang fire a bit and let some of the early issues with it become resolved. Mostly those issues are fairly minor bugs that in no way affect the way the Tx will control a plane.

Posted by trebor on 25/07/2017 23:20:01:

That Rssi lost problem happened to me today with a X6r, fine in normal use but while I was setting the glow motor up the tx was close to the fuselage.

What's the normal reading when checking a range test at 30 yds. ?

I can normally get about 100m on range test before I get the RSSI warnings. With a receiver on a wooden bench and the aerials not positioned properly, I can get an RSSI of mid 40s at 30m. Positioning the aerials carefully makes a huge difference.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 25/07/2017 22:49:58:

I have had an X9D for quite some time and confess to knowing little about it. If anything gets out of sorts such as the audio I get my local club guru to do it. He advised and changed the complete system to pre EU (global) s/w,

This is completely unnecessary, the EU firmware works absolutely fine.