Slec apache super chipmunk

Hi All

Went to LM show on the weekend and spotted the SLEC apache super chipmunk. I have a soft spot for the chipy.

I'm after a review of the Apache kit I have searched on the forum but search is not returning anything (unless its figure trouble). Any body know of some reviews or build blogs.

Many Thanks

Andy C

Advert

They were super fliers when made by Apache Aviation, and the kit quality was superb. In fact I thought they were a top notch company. Rights taken over by Slec when the Mr Apache retired. Slec have a good reputation. Therefore worth a punt in my opinion.

I was interested in this kit when SLEC first had it on display at LM a few years ago. I don't know how much things have changed but when I asked them about it at the time, it was not a great story. The display model was part of the rights take over and they could tell me nothing about it at all. Maybe they have put some effort into understanding more about it by now? We all know SLEC is a good company and knows about wood & kits, but I would imagine there is one hell of a lot of background knowledge needed to reproduce it!

Edited By Masher on 07/06/2016 09:40:24

Apache aviation were into computer router cutting for the wood, so the kit should use the same programmes. The rest of a kit is a parts check list. In my opinion the skill of a kit assembler is picking appropriate wood, and a skill of a builder in rejecting inappropriate kit supplied stuff. But is you have a known good design, and good router instructions, chucking some strip wood in the scap box is not a big issue.

I'm just finishing the RAF trainer version of the SLEC/Apache Chipmunk. I tried to buy it just as Apache were selling up, then had to wait a year for SLEC to get their act together, but they let me have one of their first kits at a discount because of the wait. I've been building it on and off for two or three years, been distracted with other stuff along the way.

There were a few niggles with my kit - missing materials, wrongly bent tailwheel, parts not matching plans, etc. but these were all sorted very quickly by SLEC. It's an easy build and it has built into a nice model - not very scale in several areas, particularly fuselage cross-section and wing root fairing area, but it looks convincing from a few feet away. The only area I'm not totally happy with is the wing joining method, but I spoke to both SLEC and Mr. Apache about it and he assured me it was plenty strong enough.

I've been using it as a test bed for learning new-to-me scale techniques - glass cloth covering, rivets, panel lines, using lithoplate, rib stitching and tapes and paint spraying, so I'm sure it's a lot heavier than it needs to be. Rushing to get it finished and flown before our club scale day on 3 July, just lettering decals/stencils, weathering, fuelproofing and refitting the servos, lights and Laser 150 to do.

I have a half built RAF chippy from SLEC.

Average CNC cutting, quite a ' sturdy ' design with a lot of old school design elements . 2 piece wing arrangement isn't very strong and hard to use in practice. A wing tube would be preferable. I went for a one piece wing as a result.

I needed to create a wing jig to help prevent washout issues . There is a lot of glue, shave, sand, repeat involved.

Overall, its not the lightest of models and takes a lot of building to come together.

Edited By Cabbage Man on 07/06/2016 14:27:28

The "Apache" Chipmunk was originally the produce of Ohio Models of Germantown Ohio and Mike of Apache aviation was a dealer for Ohio models here in the UK. Ohio models are long since disappeared sad really as their kits were excellent. I know at the time there was some dispute as to the intellectual rights of the Chipmunk design, however this is now all water under the bridge so to speak and it would appear that SLEC have inherited said Chipmunk

Andrew,

I couldn't find anything last time i looked. which surprised me. I would take that as a sign its not a popular builders kit.

If you unsure, consider the airsail one or even the 1/4 scale wood kit from traplet based on the Dave Wormsley BMFA nationals one. Very scale.

The one mistake I made was to assume the Apache version was reasonably close to scale when in reality its wayyyyyy off that.

Cabbage man

Yes its does seem a bit strange that there is little or no build blogs. I hear good things about SLEC and I have seen numerous Apache chipmunks being flown on youtube just no comments on kit quality and anything else to do with the kit.

I will have a look at the airsale and the Dave Wormsley. quarter scale will be a little large for me I think.

The Ohio/ Apache Chipmunks were built on converted versions of the Chipmunk one colour scheme was Art Scholl's Pennzoil sponsored version the other was in a Pepsi sponsored scheme. The full size versions had modified cowls to hold Lycoming flat four engines and both had differing tail feathers when compared to the versions used by the RAF as trainers which had a much narrower cowl for their inline four cylinder lumps

David P

Thanks for the reply how would you rate the kit. I am going to do the super chipmunk. How long ago did you purchase the kit, just wondering if they have made any improvements from the feed back they get. Because there is so little build info out there I m totally reliant on people like your good self.

One thing they are sold out of the Pepsi version and only have the Pennzoil one in stock so that could give some indication that the kits OK and that's a big Could.

Any more if would be greatly received.

Andy C

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Apache Aviation Pepsi and RAF Versions,

Have built and flown both, kit wise i rate them as probably the best engineered kits in the uk.PEPSI VERSION HAS A DLE35RA AS DOES THE RAF VERSION.You could say the wing structure is old school and probably a little over engineered but all good great flying planes.Build as designed by using cyano not pva or the weight will increase. Both kits build into large size aerobats. Standard Action men are close to scale for the cockpit.

• 2 years later...

Can anyone help?

I have just bought a secondhand Apache Aviation / SLEC Chipmunk (the RAF one not the Super Chipmunk) and need to check the C of G is correct for peace of mind before I fly it. I have the instruction manual but the C of G is not given in there (it says it is marked on the plan).

My model did not come with the plan. Does anyone have the plan for this model and can let me know the correct position? Thanks.

Grahame

You know Grahame, without a plan we go to the main spar.

A quick reccy online produces lads debating one 1/4 inch in front or behind the main spar

With subjective preferences to which is best

We are talking in the region of 6mm here, either way, and the model still fly's

If the model is I/C, you may expect such a move from empty to a full tank

Seriously, if the C of G is very close to the main spar with an empty tank, we cannot be in unflyable territory

• 1 month later...

Hi, hoping someone can help. Does anyone have a photo of the single servo flap setup with torque rods. My plans have the flap servo in the wing, so I’m struggling to work it out. If someone could post Either picture of the wing made up or pic of the pans please. Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers steve

• 4 months later...

Yes, there is lack of anything on the Apache Aviation Chipmunks, especially the Super Chipmunk. My first one was Art scholls version aka Pennzoil. Bought it from a Guy about 8 years ago who was from the Stoke area. He did a good job on the build and was ready to fly with 180 four stoke fitted. Why I asked? His Club had issues and reduced max engine size to 10cc! What??

Anyway it flew okay but lacked the performance that Art Scholls full size was capable of even allowing for scale. So, I modified the firewall (it had anti vibration mounts) and fitted a OS33GT. Now it flies!

Was so pleased I bought anther one from SLEC, this version is Pepsi. Same engine too OS33GT. THe Pepsi has clipped shorter wings and the roll rate is much faster .Pepsi Chipmunk