BREXIT

Ernie

Advert

Posted by Chuck Plains on 25/06/2016 08:26:27:

What an unmitigated disaster!! Cameron got what he wanted all along.

( and I won't receive notifications from this thread as I've no intention of arguing about THIS issue ) wink 2

So that's why you post something so obviously baited? The thread was going so well too with most folk not posting hype and hysteria.

We've had a vote, now it is time for folks to get some work done to get our own trade deals.  Hardly a disaster.

To be fair nothing will change immediately but rather as deals are negotiated they will probably be released to stop the "there's nothing being done" brigade who will obviously raise their heads just to increase their air time. 

It's going to be an interesting time and something that may well be the catalyst for other countries.

There is one thing that has surprised me; the wars that have gone on via social media between friends and families that have been reported. Long term friendships lost as they abused each other verbally simply over their choice of vote! Incredible!

Edited By John F on 25/06/2016 08:52:38

Posted by Justin K. on 25/06/2016 07:46:48:

The beginning of the end for Europe in my opinion.

My wife & I both voted out so are happy with the result especially for the sake of our our children's future.

Coincidentally we watched the second part of the excellent BBC documentary Greece with Simon Reeve last night and what an eye opener both of these program's have been.

During the episode he filmed a huge military procession , in the procession was a vast legions of tanks (more than the UK & France own combined) sold to the Greeks recently by Germany and funded by a loan the can not afford.

We both looked at each other in disbelief , just about summed it all up for us.

Onwards and Upwards.

Yes, this is typical of the way the EU is run. Apparently discussion around the Greek debt and turkey joining the EU were on the back burner whilst the referendum took place - they didn't want to scare us off.

The EU could have worked, but the politicians messed it up to put it mildly. I agree with EU in theory but voted out because they don't listen to the electorate and they are unaccountable - the EU accounts have never been signed off! That is unacceptable.

Hi William, thanks for sticking your nose in from across the pond, your perspective is valued. As far as your comment 'that it is always better to be part of a greater whole'. As head of the Commonwealth, one of the G7 countries - being the fifth largest economy in the world, as well as the second largest player in NATO, I think we are already a significant player in many global 'clubs' and we will 'remain' so. I think that the City of London it big enough to remain to be a world banking centre and indeed, part of a 'global village' as you elegantly put it.

Canada, - great country by the way and wonderful people.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 25/06/2016 09:55:16

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 25/06/2016 09:34:34:
Posted by Rich2 on 25/06/2016 08:52:51:
Posted by Justin K. on 25/06/2016 07:46:48:the EU accounts have never been signed off! That is unacceptable.

Another piece of Euro-Mythology I am afraid....

**LINK**

Mr Fox in charge of the henhouse..............................wink

On the BBC news Web page it gave you the feed back from around concerning the result of our democratic vote.

One new paper headline was........ Great Britain give the world a lesson on Democracy.

All I'm hearing in the media is the bleating of the those who the decision went against there beliefs.

The democratic vote was to leave. Now people have to accept the result no matter how close the margin. I doubt if the remain camp would be complaining if the narrow margin was in favour of remaining.

As for Scotland..,...2 years ago the people voted to remain part of the UK. That means they have to accept the UK referendum on June 23rd democratic vote to leave.

You cannot pick and choose because the vote doesn't go your way. You have to accept the result of the democratic process.

To do otherwise is........ Un-Democratic and the start of downfall of the civilised society as we know and live in.

The European Union is accused of “breathtaking hypocrisy” for continuing to demand that David Cameron pays a £1.7 billion bill despite its own auditors failing to give a clean bill of health to more than £100 billion of spending by Brussels.

According to the annual report of the European Court of Auditors, seen by The Telegraph, £5.5 billion of the EU budget last year was misspent because of controls on spending that were deemed to be only “partially effective” by experts.

The audit, published this morning, found that £109 billion out of a total of £117 billion spent by the EU in 2013 was "affected by material error”.

It means that the Brussels accounts have not been given the all clear for 19 years running.

Treasury sources said that the disclosure shows why the EU needs “urgent reform”.

Posted by Rich2 on 25/06/2016 10:26:58:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 25/06/2016 09:34:34:
Posted by Rich2 on 25/06/2016 08:52:51:
Posted by Justin K. on 25/06/2016 07:46:48:the EU accounts have never been signed off! That is unacceptable.

Another piece of Euro-Mythology I am afraid....

**LINK**

ok, a "qualified" audit opinion then - still unacceptable.

**LINK**

Qualified yes but then again the UK Government doesn't even publish audits at all......

So even more unacceptable

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 25/06/2016 10:36:37

Fully agree with Ian Jones above. Regardless of our individual views on the rights and wrongs, all differences need to now be put aside in the interests of making the situation that we now have work to our best advantage

And David Cameron should have our full support in telling those EU officials who are publicly insisting that we accelerate to a quick exit to get lost (would have used far stronger but obviously not on this forum smiley) - we'll do it in the way that suits us best

For information, the next step the UK government has to do is invoke Article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon. This starts the leaving process. Until they do so we are still a full member, and indeed the government could ignore the referendum result entirely, and not invoke Article 50.

The timing of invocation is in the gift of the government, not the EU.

Donald is totally correct - As far as the legal process of leaving the EU is concerned the referendum doesn't matter, that is an internal matter - the leaving country has to invoke article 50 to starts the 2 year clock running - the EU cannot start the clock on our behalf

But there is the negotiation to go through - so if we delayed hugely (when it appears the EU would rather it be done fast) then we risk facing a more hostile EU when we negotiate what ever will come next, so there is a bit of swings and roundabouts there

But as Cameron says he's going by the autumn then it would be a little unfair of him to invoke article 50 that should be left to his successor

Percy and IanN, might I ask that your language is a little more polite towards our friends an allies in the EU, and not invoke the language of war, or disdain. We have decided to leave. After we have left we will remain allies. Or do you want to take the first faltering step towards WW3. You may consider the EU to be a broken tool, but do not please, invoke hostile language

Let's all stay very calm chaps - the sun is shining here and I'm going out flying. I fully expect to come back later and find that you have all been very nice, supportive and understanding to each other wink 2.

Failing that - well I see Pete is on-line and he has an even shorter fuse than me!

I've got a good idea! Why don't you all stop worrying about it and go flying too? Its a bit breezy but the lift still works EU or no EU - honest!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/06/2016 13:13:42

Posted by IanN on 25/06/2016 11:01:31:

Fully agree with Ian Jones above. Regardless of our individual views on the rights and wrongs, all differences need to now be put aside in the interests of making the situation that we now have work to our best advantage

And David Cameron should have our full support in telling those EU officials who are publicly insisting that we accelerate to a quick exit to get lost (would have used far stronger but obviously not on this forum smiley) - we'll do it in the way that suits us best

As far the exit is concerned I think it's pretty understandable the remaining 27 countries have their moral right to seek things to be settled as quick as possible? This is because Great Britain is no more willing to delevelop EU from inside. So fair play, Britts take care of their business while EU takes care of its business.. 😍

I hope nobody finds this offensive, though..

Posted by Donald Fry on 25/06/2016 13:06:53:

Percy and IanN, might I ask that your language is a little more polite towards our friends an allies in the EU, and not invoke the language of war, or disdain. We have decided to leave. After we have left we will remain allies. Or do you want to take the first faltering step towards WW3. You may consider the EU to be a broken tool, but do not please, invoke hostile language

I'm not sure what "hostile language" your referring to Donald ?

You've approached this thread several times "biting your tongue" why not just say your piece rather than dissecting others comments ?

If its not gone the way you wanted then that's unfortunate , but the fact remains that the majority vote has won it's as simple as that.

Social media is absolutely full of sour grapes today , It's done so time to move on.

And those that feel so strongly about it have time to relocate and still be part of the EU. Until it collapses at least.

The polls didn't help the situation and people are probably feeling pretty bitter after the polls indicated a comfortable win for the remain camp.

Timing is a problem now. The U.K. cannot rush into this now that Dave has resigned, but the EU want it to happen quickly to quash the unrest in other countries.

if I were Scotland I would wait a while and see if there's actually an EU to be a member of! wink