esc brake on or off

Advert

If you want the prop to stop windmilling in flight then you need the brake on. A windmilling prop will create more drag than a stationery prop, but that can be useful to slow a model down on the downlines and also slow the model on landing, but if you want glide around then having the prop stop would reduce drag.

• 7 months later...

Oldgit, Allan, Frank good morning!

Please can you help me unravel the mystery of programming an ESC?

HoobyKing circular card and a HobbyKing 25 amp ESC: with "brake off" jumper selected the beeps tell me it accepts the setting. I want "brake on" for my electric Golden Lady, so change the jumper to "ON" and the ESC emits continuous "beep beep beep beep........" until I unplug the battery. It doesn't seem to like the setting!

Tried the throttle stick drill with a Sanwa RDS 8000 tx and a Turnigy 9X tx and neither produces the beep sequences detailed in the instruction leaflet. When the stick is moved to the mid position to start the programming, the ESC just stays silent with both sets.

I know there's a lot of info out there on youtube etc, but none of it applies to the results I am getting.

Best regards,

Allan Morris

Maybe a silly question but when you've tried the other transmitters, have you been using an appropriate receiver bound to each transmitter? I assume you had a motor connected - the beeps are produced by the ESC sending a high frequency signal to the motor windings which vibrate to produce the sounds.

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/02/2017 11:08:39