Wot4 XL artf Build

cymaz

Hi Cymaz . I note you said you have glued the wing together. Do the instruction tell you to glue them together ? The reason for asking is that I have been given a Wot4 XL with a two piece wing and have flown it that way a few times although I did wonder about the short hardwood wing joiner. I wasn't given any instructions with the model so would appreciate info on weather the wing are intended to be glued as a one piece set.

Advert

Jumping in in case Cymaz isn't about during working hours.

The wing is definitely supposed to be epoxied together - the joiner in my own kit, whilst strong, wasn't a good fit in the wing and needed to be glued, otherwise the wing would be able to move about in an adjustable dihedral sort of fashion. Would put a lot of stress on the wing bolts, I would have thought.

Would be nice to be able to build it as a two piece wing for transportation purposes, although even that wouldn't help me as I've just realised that the fuselage won't fit in my car, even with the back seats down - doh!!blush

Luckily I've got my works van, although that's going to need skipping out before I can put the 'plane in it!

KIm

Given the rest of the build quality, the wings are epoxied together.....REALLY GLUED surprise!

The plastic plug that locks the T.E. was covered in epoxy, the brace was well whetted and more glue poured in the hole. There is a small pair of matching holes that the servo threads came out of...there wasa dowel inserted and epoxied. 30 min glue was left for several hours to set off.

Don't worry chaps, these puppies will not part.....ever.

Steps 17-20, pages 5+6 of the manual.

Edited By cymaz on 09/08/2016 17:08:30

Posted by Engine Doctor on 09/08/2016 09:17:52:

Hi Cymaz . I note you said you have glued the wing together. Do the instruction tell you to glue them together ? The reason for asking is that I have been given a Wot4 XL with a two piece wing and have flown it that way a few times although I did wonder about the short hardwood wing joiner. I wasn't given any instructions with the model so would appreciate info on weather the wing are intended to be glued as a one piece set.

Here is the manual. Hope this helps.....bottom of the page and it's a PDF download.

Started improving the area where the tank is going to sit. Extra ply was added to the sides to increase side strength, corner pieces of hard wood added to improve corner stability.

Then the lite ply tank base will be added and screwed into place. An extra ply U/C plate was also added. Better U/C bolt found in my spares and will be cut to length

tank 1.jpg

tank bay.jpg

Also hot epoxy was allowed to soak into the inside of the fire wall

tank bay2.jpg

Spent 2 hours.....2 hours...! installing the ignition box and opto isolator.

There's not much to see after all that time. The ignition battery was put on the floor behind the firewall wrapped in foam. This was then capped off with some lite ply and a spruce stay screwed into the fuselage side walls. The ignition box and isolator where then foam wrapped zipped tied to the stay. This keeps all the ignition as far from the Rx as possible.

It's looking like the Rx will be fixed just in front of the rudder servo, approx 4/5" from the ignition. Hopefully this will prove satisfactory.

If anyone has read my last post............don't forget to do what I have just done. After all last evening working away, I forgot to put the engine mount blind nuts in. So it all came out

engine 1.jpg

engine2.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 12/08/2016 21:07:12

Edited By cymaz on 12/08/2016 21:09:01

Posted by cymaz on 12/08/2016 21:06:07:

If anyone has read my last post............don't forget to do what I have just done. After all last evening working away, I forgot to put the engine mount blind nuts in. So it all came out

engine 1.jpg

engine2.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 12/08/2016 21:07:12

Edited By cymaz on 12/08/2016 21:09:01

Don't worry, that's exactly the sort of thing I do all of the time!

Posted by cymaz on 09/08/2016 06:47:01:

Cheers Rich2. I have left the wing overnight....it's still glued together !

I will fill in the gap on the LE tongue with some thin ply and epoxy. Next few job is to make a shelf for the tank, add some bracing to the undercarriage area, mount the engine switches etc.

All artf planes I've built have had a bit more "meat" added to the undercarriage plate, they need it

I fly from a rough field and always have problems with the u/c. I find swapping for carbon fibre helps a lot, seems to absorb the bumps much better. In fact I recently damaged the c/f u/c on my yak, but no damage done to the airframe. Replacements are cheap enough from HK.

Posted by Rich2 on 13/08/2016 07:36:26:
Posted by cymaz on 09/08/2016 06:47:01:

Cheers Rich2. I have left the wing overnight....it's still glued together !

I will fill in the gap on the LE tongue with some thin ply and epoxy. Next few job is to make a shelf for the tank, add some bracing to the undercarriage area, mount the engine switches etc.

All artf planes I've built have had a bit more "meat" added to the undercarriage plate, they need it

I fly from a rough field and always have problems with the u/c. I find swapping for carbon fibre helps a lot, seems to absorb the bumps much better. In fact I recently damaged the c/f u/c on my yak, but no damage done to the airframe. Replacements are cheap enough from HK.

Totally agree! I had a HK carbon fibre u/c for my Giles. Really nice piece of kit. It survived the crash but is too wide for the Wot. I am on the email list when the new 100mm wide ones arrive in.

Did a CG balance today using my Vanessa Rig ( no not Diana frown)

I assume that the horizontal stabiliser is at 0*. Put a small bubble level on the tail and levelled the plane up until level. Then added the Rx battery, levelled up the plane again. The plumb bob indicates the CG position - not where it should be! The balance point without Rx battery was 117mm from the LE.

The battery was added to the nose

battery only.jpg

110mm.jpg

A bit of lead added...

battery lead.jpg

105mm.jpg

Might need a bit of fine tuning but I reckon this is a good method

Edited By cymaz on 14/08/2016 13:34:27

You're going to need a bigger work bench surprise

Finalised and finished the engine mount, all bolts done with locktite. Finished off the ignition and isolator, batteries now secure in the front behind firewall. Installed tank floor and tied up the wires underneath. Got the throttle to fully work and glued the snake in. Installed the wheels ( not the foam rubbish ones out of the box).

So not a bad day! Also Mrs Cymaz and I plus number 1 daughter went for a walk at Cardinham and I was allowed an icecream.....smile dhotparty

Still plodding on. Mrs Cymaz is being very patient with me being in the garage for a couple of hours after work each night.

Hopefully, on Wednesday night, while Mrs C is at work the tail will be glued in and trued up.

Today the tail was prepared. The film was cut using a soldering iron, so as not to cut the wood. Balsa plates were glues in with CA top and bottom of the horizontal stab slot to increase glue area. The tail fin had cocktail stick glued in. These go right through the tail.

tail slot (2).jpg

tail slot.jpg

tail tin.jpg

horizontal stab.jpg

Engine 99% done

engine finish.jpg

Wednesday night.....Mrs C at work so got on and glued the tail in. The cocktail sticks really helped to get the rudder post nice and firm. There will be 2mm carbon braces top and bottom later....

Had lots of views but not much input?? Thanks for the interest shown so far, there really isn't much to say on an artf build like this

glued tail.jpg

My OCD hits overload when gluing a tail on. 30 min epoxy helps but all-in-all it was a 2 hour job.....just can't rush these things clockclocksarcastic 2. Cutting the notch from the rear helped no end in stopping the glue getting scraped out as the horizontal stab went in.  There  was just enough give to prise it open. I was chuffed to bits then realised the rear fuselage tail piece that i cut out should not have been glued back in until the elevator was fixed in...doh!! Still 5 mins later with a Dremel and the slot miraculously reappeared....

glued tail 2.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 17/08/2016 20:16:24

Hi Cymaz

Going well, I see.

I've just thought, be careful when you fit the rudder horn. On my kit, the pre drilled hole was in the wrong place, which I didn't notice until I connected up the pull wires, which were rubbing on the bottom of the exit slots.angry

I had to re-drill the rudder, but of course there's now an unsightly hole. I'll try and get a bit of profilm in the same green and iron it over to disguise it a bit.wink

Finally got mine all together and radio installed. Weighs in at 9lbs 7oz ready to fly. I managed to get it to balance without adding any weight, which was a stroke of luck. I'm hoping with around 1435 watts and a 16 x 10 prop the performance will be OK for my (sadly lacking) skill level.blush

I won't clutter up your thread with my build, but if anyone's interested, I'll start a new thread with all the details and pictures of the completed setup.

Kim

The garage is part of the house,( lucky me) so I can walk straight into the utility. However is gets bitter cold in winter, so most of the builds are done autumn and spring. There is no loft insulation either, brrrrrrrr. No condensation, the floor has a DPM. However the garage door does face directly south, a nice sunny winters day and it's quite pleasant for a cople of hours.

Finished the rudder and tail wheel tonight.

Friday and over the weekend there is not much now to do.

1. Tail bracing to fit
  2. Cover the holes in the rear of the fuselage with black film and a small patch under the firewall
  3. Double check all nuts and bolts, range check.
  4. Caharge batteries and fuel up

Thats about it! I've not referred to the manual in the entire build, only to check throws and CG. So, it's been a simple build. Only spoilt by the hardware and some wood quality.

I will change the U/C for a HK when they come into stock