Left handed Mode 1

Calling all mode 1 flyers who also happen to be left handed.

Since I have started slope soaring I have found that being a left handed mode 1 user is a bit of a handicap.

The problem for me comes at launch as I find it difficult to hand launch the model as by the time I have moved my hand to the elevator stick the model is either very near to the ground at the edge of the slope or has actually crashed.

I am relying on others to launch for me, but would like to be more independent.

Advise anybody?

I know I could learn to fly mode 2, but I`m hoping for a simpler solution.

Advert

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 27/07/2016 18:01:11:

No difference to the issues faced by a right-handed Mode 2 flier, presumably.

EXACTLY - Typical Leftie, whinging and claiming uniqueness................................. (JOKE)

My left hand was for holding things my right hand was working on till I took up slope soaring and also launching belly landing power.stuff.

Now I can cut round windows with a paint brush both hands no trouble........................Sorry, off topic............

I usually launch holding the left (port) wing for all small stuff, flying wings, deltas, etc and do a reverse discus half spin swinging it across my front. Bigger stuff is left handed javelin.

Bit of practice, you'll be fine..................................

I'm left Handed and learned mode 1 gliding. I became very practised at trimming the model bfore flight to have a long flat glide over long grass / wheat. Then when at the slope, launch further down the slope so that the model gets away in more constant air, rather that suddenly balloning up when it hits the lift.

I then learned to fly mode two. It's a much better system and if you move to power flying your ailerons are in the right hand and you launch with your left. much more natural.

Hi Mel

I'm Mode 1 and the rest of my current club is on Mode 2 so I got a cheap simulator and tried to learn Mode 2. It may work for you and may be worth a try, but for me, I'm glad they were simulated crashes! I'm sticking with Mode 1, but then I fly power not gliders.

Might be worth a try, equally, the other suggestions all have merit. The deciding factor will be what works for you.

Not the best solution but do not be afraid of changing modes. It can be easier than you think. A friend of mine joined a club and the only way to gain his A cert was to change mode (he needed help from a club instructor ) - which he did successfully.

I'm left handed mode 2 but launch right handed. On the downside there are many occasions I've had to slap the stick with my right hand to jerk the nose up, on the upside it's easy to open the throttle just before you throw.

Keep meaning to learn a left-handed throw and how to open the throttle with my chin. I'll get round to it one day!

Shaunie.