Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9

Former Member

• 2 months later...

Looking for info.Can anyone tell me if the current Cockpit SX 9 can do all that the Royal Pro 9 can do, or is it capable of more.

Also, I loved the feel in the hands od the Royal Pro, how does the Cockpit SX9 compare, and can the gimbals be swivelled round?

Mmm ... Royal Pro 9 v Cockpit 9 ... (I have both).

I expect our resident MPX expert Frank will give a more detailed and knowledgeable reply, but as a quick response from a general user, I don't find the 'Cockpit' quite as extensive. Being honest, how many (if not most?) general sports flyers use the fullest capabilities of any computer radio(?) they own. The gimbals are angled on the 'Cockpit' but do not swivel adjust like the 'Royal' does. The 'Cockpit' is still a highly capable set once you get the logic behind it!

Mmm expert is a bit much laugh, I don't have the latest Cockpit Sx but a friend does and I've done some programming with it. It's swings and roundabouts, Cockpit Sx has voice telemetry and built in mixers which allow you to change mix percentages per flight phase. Missing are the Royal Pro multimixers with different types of curves, so it you like doing "clever" things then a Royal Pro would be better, e.g. I have a canard glider with tip rudders, these are set up to deflect outwards independently only on rudder control and jointly on spoiler control.

Shame there hasn't been a Royal Pro with Profi firmware and voice.

If you go on MPX Launcher you can download/view the latest Cockpit Sx manuals so you can check the latest features.

Thank you Frank. You've just saved me£400 odd pounds. I was an Evo user since before Jodie wrote his magnificent tutorial. Got sidestepped with quadcopters and bought a Taranis. Now considering going back to Multiplex. To be honest the Evo (Royal) 9 could do everything I needed, including F5J gliders. There is a Royal 9 on Ebay, might try to find out more about it.

Yes, as you say, the Evo case with Profi software would be the ultimate. Bet it never happens though.

Don't suppose there is any word of a new transmitter from Multiplex in the offing?

Only the announcement that there will be a version of the Powerbox Core that will run Multiplex M Link receivers. But Multiplex tend to keep developments quiet until they are ready for launch these days.

Have announced that they are getting back into moulded gliders though with new Alpina and Antaris Carbontec gliders though.

Looked at the Powerbox Core and looked away quickly to wipe my watering eyes! The Mpx Profi appeals but price and weight are against it. Which leaves the Royal SX. An excellent set, but a bit long in the tooth now. It is now being sold with a Souffluer bundled. I'm tempted.

You would struggle to get a new Profi now as it is currently out of production and may not return. Royal Sx uses the same stick units as the Profi and while not hall effect they are very smooth. Souffluer works very well and is easy to set up, make sure it comes with the USB interface cable though.

One other thing the Royal Pro/Sx has that the Cockpit Sx doesn't is the digiadjusters, which allow you to adjust any two parameters on the fly, great for setting up elevator compensation, aileron differential, fixed camber settings etc etc in flight.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to finish the saga, I bought that new EvoRoyal 9 on Ebay. 5 hours on the clock and seems to work fine. So much nicer to hold and operate, but missing OpenTXprogramming. And it's made in the EU.

I also got my old (very) Evo 9 back from a mate, who has had it for 3 years. Had a problem with it but Mike Ridley fixed it for me!

So I hope we will be able to get out flying soon - I'm in Scotland and Nicola is still keeping us in.

• 1 month later...

I had the Royal Evo 9 for ~15 years. Worked like a dream, never gave me a single problem. It was a replacement for a JR and I was at home with it from day one. Only about a month ago it showed a Memory Error. I followed the Multiplex instruction and read the data to a computer and back; worked again. However, this event prompted me to realize the radio might be getting old. I also wanted a voice telemetry to tell me the battery voltage, especially on EDFs.

So, I bought the Cockpit SX9 two weeks ago. Well, I think their ergonomic guy was made redundant or was on a long service leave when this radio was designed smiley. As some of you have already mentioned, it doesn’t have that good grip/feel which I enjoyed with the Royal Evo. In addition, it has no handle! I presume Multiplex wants us to use the recesses at the back but I believe this is simply not safe; easy to lose a grip and drop it.

The other thing are the rotary knobs at the back of the radio for flaps and spoilers. IMHO, there is no way of remembering/knowing what your current position is. A small ridge or protrusion would make the orientation a bit easier. BTW too late now, the range of rotation is greater than the exposed area of the roller. Perhaps, I completely don’t understand how these are to be used.

Forgot to whinge about the manual. Well, what manual? Just a few A5 pages which look like a note from one Multiplex department to another. Admittedly, programming is not my forte and without James Drulia’s excellent “Royal Evo Tutorial” I would have been lost. But again, it makes sense I would say, for a reputable company to make an effort to write a decent manual. Not everyone likes or does programming every day. Perhaps better sales would follow...

I think the new Cockpit is a poor replacement for the much more versatile Evo/Royal Pro/Royal SX.

However, the 16 channel black version of the Royal SX is still available, none of the others. But for how long I wonder?

The Profi is totally discontinued, not that it was much of an advance on the Evo/Royal series.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 07/07/2020 07:02:37:

The Profi is totally discontinued, not that it was much of an advance on the Evo/Royal series.

Apart from

- Built in voice

- 9 point servo curves

- Logic switches (with telemetry input)

- 12 flight phases

- Multi position switches (i.e. switches can be combines to control one channel)

- All controls can have switching functions

- No longer limited to 3 mixer switches (and flight phases can be used as a mixer switch)

- All 16 servo channels are fully adjustable (only the first 12 are on the Royal Sx)

- No limit to control/switch templates

- Mixers have 8 inputs rather than 5

- Custom mixer curves.

- Built in sequencers

- Trims can be either flight phase specific or global

- Built in sequencer

And they are just the ones I can think of now. While the Profi does have it's faults I do hope the Multiplex Open programming isn't discontinued. I'm going to have to look after mine a bit more carefully.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 08/07/2020 14:14:37:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 07/07/2020 07:53:04:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 07/07/2020 07:02:37:

Apart from

- Built in voice

- 9 point servo curves

- Logic switches (with telemetry input)

- 12 flight phases

- Multi position switches (i.e. switches can be combines to control one channel)

- All controls can have switching functions

- No longer limited to 3 mixer switches (and flight phases can be used as a mixer switch)

- All 16 servo channels are fully adjustable (only the first 12 are on the Royal Sx)

- No limit to control/switch templates

- Mixers have 8 inputs rather than 5

- Custom mixer curves.

- Built in sequencers

- Trims can be either flight phase specific or global

- Built in sequencer

And they are just the ones I can think of now. While the Profi does have it's faults I do hope the Multiplex Open programming isn't discontinued. I'm going to have to look after mine a bit more carefully.

Frank,

You may be able to read a specification (as we all can).

But a whole lot of it wasn't available from day one. Result? After a year or more of false 'available shortly' announcements they offered us an overweight, oversize, and overpriced Evo.

A much more expensive burger with the same meat inside. And even then you had to buy extra switches and buttons to equal an Evo, and your trainer dongle wouldn't fit.

Not that it mattered, we had all lost interest by then. They could add as many afterthoughts as they liked, nobody cared. Hence the Profi's relatively short life. And calling some of the 'end of bin' ones 'Master Series', adding a few firmware gimmicks and putting some fake carbon on the front couldn't save it.

As for me, despite I have the too heavy and very tedious to 'program' *** Profi 4000 as a spare to my Evo (or whatever it's called this week), I've ordered a black Royal SX 16 (the last Evo-type one they still make) before they stop making that too in case my present silver one breaks and in case Mike Ridley retires. Despite the black 'rubbery' finish not being fuel proof, getting far too hot if left in the sun, and going all soft and sticky in a couple of years no matter how much care you take of it.

Either Multiplex have lost the plot completely or more likely the Asian owner, Mr Park, has just stopped caring.

*** It's 'configuration'. No programmer would ever call it programming. Multiplex has already done that and you can't alter it..

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 08/07/2020 14:20:52

Posted by Andy Palmer on 08/07/2020 14:30:34:

You may be able to read a specification (as we all can).

But not everyone can lose all credibility by posting twice...

How many of you came here when your planet was destroyed?

Some humans have been known to hit 'quote' when they intended to 'edit'.

Posted by Barrie Lever on 08/07/2020 08:58:41:

Richard

Are you flying with Multiplex?

I must get one of those 16 channel Royals before they empty the parts bin, I currently have the 9 channel Royal.

B.

Barrie,

Yes. Ever since Mick Bone changed from the disastrous Simprop Competition Special to Multiplex. Early 70's at a guess.

I had one of the early Evos which needed a new memory chip and some  other changes  for 2.4,   which  was done   for free (not including the  2.4 module)   but  with a long delay.

I couldn't  be bothered  with that  so I bought a new 2.4 one, which I still use.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 08/07/2020 14:59:28

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 08/07/2020 15:09:39

Posted by Doc Marten on 08/07/2020 14:51:20:

He lost credibility some posts ago Andy which culminated with his 'Fanboy' ranting nonsense, he loves to give an opinion on most subjects, mostly questionable, very often abrupt, condescending and rude but he continues regardless.

I must have once disagreed with you on some trivial point.