Starting the lawn mower with a LiPo

Spice Cat

Good afternoon all,

I recall reading an article about starting a car with a LiPo, but can't remember if it was a spoof or not.

The reason this has become top priority is that I have recently inherited a ride on mower with electric start and the battery is a little flaky. Being tight fisted, I don't want to lash out the £50 for a new one so as an emergency back up, can it be started from a 40C 11.1v LiPo??

Cheers.

Advert

There are people in the US who have started massive 4x4s with relatively small 3S lipos, so what you are trying to do should work fine.

Whether it is recommended I can't say - that depends on the amp pull. However from memory my old diesel Civic required about 50-60A to turn over (found that out one time courtesy of the AA man when I let me down on the drive), so I would think a lawnmower should be 20-30A max.

Edited By MattyB on 09/08/2016 17:07:45

I have started my ride-on with a Lipo - just as a stop-gap measure - and it worked very well but if you do, make sure you've got a meaty cable to extend the Lipo lead to the terminals - I had a short adaptor with croc clips, about 18-20AWG and the wires got very warm and melty very quickly....smile o

Pete

Posted by Martin Harris on 09/08/2016 17:11:59:

Very surprised at that, Matty - I've always been under the impression that 150 - 200A was typical...

Nope, you are right, looks like I was remembering the pure capacity in Ah rather than the cranking amps. Just looked up the battery from that car, they are rated at 500-600 CCA. I don't think it takes that much to turn the engine over though, otherwise a lipo would never be able to do it.

I use a 3S 2200mAh LiPo on my model engine starter & it works brilliantly...no trailing lead & bags of power...I put the watt meter into the circuit & tested it with my usual 7Ah SLA starter battery...it always struggled to turn a 90 2 stroke over & the voltage dropped to around 7V or so. With the LiPo the 90 spun over really quickly & from cold pulled about 45A out of the LiPo

Will it start your mower? I would say almost definitely...