RIOT XL

David Soper

After having issues with this model ... Century replaced my faulty model.

They have been ok with my issues and tried to address them.

model test flown by club instructor and yet again tail wheel broke, was just a light heavy landing something i expect to happen while learning.

We have very experienced instructor and he said tail wheel is not strong enough.

He is making a skid mod .. this is a £200 model as was suggested by club member why not make it carbon fibre as takes a lot of stress, instead of £2.99 plastic

Advert

Tail wheel is a known weakness, I fixed mine by gluing in some spruce at the tail end and then using a commercial tail wheel, I can post a picture if you like.

The design of the molding is poor in that the reinforcing stops just before the rear retaining screw which creates a large stress raiser so it breaks there. The design needs to be changed so the "bracing" extends past the rear retaining screw.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have done my best to get over RIOT XL problems... things breaking off.... poor manufacturing... just lots of silly things... today i flew it in perfect weather twice ..... went to fly for 3rd time and did my usual flight checks .. and no left aeileron ... got home did bench tests and and now no aeilerons at all ... this model is shit... will bin it and start again

As a returnee to this hobby, I looked upon the plethora of ready made models as a real quick way to get flying for lots of people, myself included. I bought a Riot,(normal size) but ended up with the Devil version. Not overly impressed at all.

It would seem that just about all of these Chinese/Vietnamese/wherever ARTF have their own problems. I will not buy another.

As long as we keep spending money on them, they surely will not get any better.

Yes I have emailed the shop I bought it from, and Century. No, I did not get satisfaction.

• 1 month later...

am enjoying flying my Sukhoi... but want to alter the default gain in the 636. RX default gain is set at 17% but there is hardly any movement from flight surfaces ... maybe thats enough but can i alter it. Ive heard E Flight 636 is not programmable. Also the AS3X app will not run on my phone (galaxy alpha) i have tried everything ... but app just said stopped working ... I can use PC as app seems ok

I know that it can be changed using the connecting cable and pc app, but I don't know how.

Plenty of discussion regarding changing the settings in the 'Safe in another plane' thread on RC Groups, maybe look there?

Kim

p.s. I know the 636 isn't 'Safe' by default, but the new Safe Select models use a re-programmed 636, so it's the same thing.

Posted by David Soper on 06/07/2017 19:07:34:

i need to calm the model down a bit as it too feisty for me .. if i lower rates will it affect the gain?

Gain and rates are separate things, the gain is how fast the gyro reacts to control or external disturbance. By setting rates you are reducing your instructions to the Gyro, so if at full rate full control was telling the gyro to rotate at 100 deg/second if you put 50% rates in then full control will now be 50 deg/second, i.e. reducing the instruction to the gyro for a given stick movement.

I have a Spektrum Flybarless controller in a heli and used rates and some expo to tame the model down a bit for me.

The gain, which is set quite low initially, until you test fly it

Is unaffected by the throws you choose to have on your surfaces.

As you suggest, have the recommended throws set as normal

Then have as a starting point 60% on your rate switch, which should calm things down

And don't forget to throttle back while you become familiar with the model.

Pretty soon, you will be turning things back up

Edited By Denis Watkins on 07/07/2017 16:13:27

• 2 weeks later...