Fuel tank size and position in Acro Wot

Jonathan M

I'm planning the installation of fuel-tank, batteries and RC gear in my ARTF Acro Wot, and have a question about tank size and position.

1. Running an ASP 70 FS, what size tank to fit? I have both 10oz and 12oz available. What sort of flight times are likely with these (intermediate sports flying), and is the bigger tank overkill?
  2. Given the progressive consumption of fuel weight during a flight, is there any rationale for mounting the fuel tank further aft (ie towards the LE of the wing) so that trim isn't effected so much? Why are tanks always mounted as close to the engine as possible - surely with exhaust pressure into the tank some distance is acceptable?

From reading the very long thread on the Acro Wot ARTF, I'm aware that some planes come out the box tail-heavy. I don't yet know how mine will pan out, but if I can move the tank back a bit, then there's space to establish the correct CG by playing with battery poition and size/weight in the forward compartment.

Cheers

Jon

Advert

If the 2 acrowot ARTF's I've had are anything to go by, use the supplied tank or similar size and mount forward as per instructions. The battery pack fits under or over the tank which, with 70 size FS, results in a good balance with no added lead. I set timer for 12 mins which is more than enough for me but tank is never empty on landing

Hi fit the tank as suggested in above threads ie forward. You will only need to have a tank mounted on CG in an F3A aerobatic type model so that trim doesn't change. Also if you fit the tank further back you will have probably have fuel issues as models that have their tanks on the CG use pumped engines or add on pumps. A 8 to 10 ounce tank should be fine with a 70 fs and give good flight times .

Forward just as engine doc says above. Putting tank further back will give you awful running even if using manifold pressure . I run an OS 80 FS in my Acro Wot and a nice clear 12 oz Sullivan flex tank that squeezes in perfectly with the battery on top of it. A 10 oz tank would be fine probably better than my 12 oz . I get a full 20 mins from 12 oz which is often more than enough for me !