SC 65 four stroke carb

David Molineux

Hi all,

I'll start by mentioning that I fly electric models and have no idea really about IC. That being said I really like the sound of 4 strokes and so decided that my new project would have one in it. I found what looked perfect on eBay (first mistake) and so bought it. A lovely SC 65.

sc 65 carb.jpg

it arrived today. On opening I checked it over and it seems to be missing the needle valve adjustment screw? I'm certain that it should have a ratchet screw for setting the idle on the carb?

I'm intending to contact the seller about it but thought I'd ask on here what options I have. IS it something I can easily get hold of? The 65 doesn't seem to be a current model....

Any help is greatly appreciated

Dave.

Advert

Yep the needle is missing Dave, so 1st stop is the supplier, even if it is a broken needle, get it and I will try and match it up for you with my bits, or send me the carb, and I will try my small plethora of needles

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/09/2016 21:07:34

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/09/2016 21:08:56

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/09/2016 21:09:30

Yes, that should have a screw with a ratchet.

I know that as engines change even almost identical engines can have different needle valves. OS 40 Surpass and 48 Surpass for example.

I would suggest contacting J. Perkins service department. They should be able to tell you is a current needle will fit or if they have old spares

I wpuld also raise a dispute through Ebay and ask for a refund on the price of a needle valve.

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/09/2016 21:12:18

I suspect the seller may have removed the needle valve to make the engine easier to pack and to prevent damaging it. But then, I'm a generous, forgiving kind of chap Are you sure it isn't hidden amongst the packing material? I did the same when I sold a model yacht hull and forgot to include the rudder in the packing - I posted it separately when I realised my mistake.

Geoff

Hi if you bought it for a good price then fine as a replacement fuel needle from any currant SC,ASP or Magnum fs will fit an won't cost very much . You may even find a club mate has one in his spares box. Have you checked the packing thoroughly ? The needle may be wrapped up in the packing. I always remove needles when posting engines and pack them separate from the engine as the post services dump tons of parcels on top and the NV is susceptible to damage.

I have the same engine in a Flair Puppeteer. The last time I flew it a few years ago, it went dead stick as I was trimming out quite high up. Although I say it myself I made a greaser dead stick landing right in the middle of the runway The brand new APC prop had disappeared! It was certainly tightly fitted so I can only assume the engine kicked back and loosened it. I was daft enough to walk round under where I guessed the misfire might have happened (it was all within the confines of the airfield) but to no avail.

I don't think finding a new needle will be a problem but contacting the seller and asking if he packed it or, if he forgot, request that he send it to you. It really isn't that big a deal and the engine looks, from the outside, in reasonable condition.

Geoff