Spektrum DX6 compatible receivers, and others

jonryan

Can we come up with a table of which RXs will work with which TXs? My head is spinning trying to get it clear. And later, can we talk about why Spektrum saw fit to have two different and incompatible TXs, both called DX6? Preferably in the presence of the genius who came up with that idea?

Hopefully, the result will be a definitive list of what works with what.

To begin, which of these will bind to a (new) DX6? And what other transmitters will match these?

AR600

AR8000

AR6100

AR400

AR500

AR6210

The reason for the two different DX6s is that European regulation meant that the original Spektrum DSM2 protocol could no longer be used. As far as I am aware most DSMX receivers will also work with DSM2 but the earlier DSM2 rx will not recognise a DSMX Tx.

Check the Spektrum or Horizon hobby websites for which rx works with which protocol.

The answer is it depends on your Tx. Some Spektrum Tx ( for example DX6i ) are DSM2 , some DSM2 and DSMX some DSMX only. Tx imported into the EU after ( I think ) 1st Jan 2015 can only be DSMX. Before that the a Tx could be DSM2 and DSMX, after that they could not be imported into EU but possibly might be on sale in the rest of the world.

So it is possible an early new type /black DX6 could be both DSM2 and DSMX but ones on sale now in Britain and EU would be DSMX only unless they are very old stock.

Spektrum issued this table of compatibility

dsmx0009.jpg

That list is from an AR610 Rx instruction book. There may be a later issue somewhere. However it gives you the info you need - - it shows DSM2 Tx and another column for DSMX Tx. you need to check your own Tx to see if it is both DSM2 and DSMX or is just DSMX only. An early black new type DX6 could possibly be both DSM2 and DSMX but ones sold recently in EU would be DSMX only.

On my DX6i ( last type made ) the menu shows Modulation and appears to be changeable to or from DSM2 but in fact it does not change -it's DSMX only. So it is necessary to check the actual Tx

Posted by jonryan on 20/09/2016 19:18:03:

And later, can we talk about why Spektrum saw fit to have two different and incompatible TXs, both called DX6?

It may be because in the USA (& maybe other parts of the world) all Spektrum Transmitters still have the ability to transmit DSM2. The sale of new DSM2 protocol transmitters has been prohibited in Europe since Jan 2015 when DSM2 ability was inhibited by the tranny's firmware.

Posted by John Lee on 21/09/2016 18:54:41:
Posted by jonryan on 20/09/2016 19:18:03:

And later, can we talk about why Spektrum saw fit to have two different and incompatible TXs, both called DX6?

It may be because in the USA (& maybe other parts of the world) all Spektrum Transmitters still have the ability to transmit DSM2. The sale of new DSM2 protocol transmitters has been prohibited in Europe since Jan 2015 when DSM2 ability was inhibited by the tranny's firmware.

So why not call it the DX6ii? Or Graham. teeth