Aluminium look

Graham Biddulph

Advert

I'd revise that to ALL metallic cladding is likely to have a serious effect on RF range unless careful and deliberate efforts are made to overcome it. Even poking the 2.4gHz aerials outside could well not be enough because the fuselage will still shield them in some attitudes.

However, as you say, it's unlikely to be a huge problem on a Magnetilla with limited covering but I'd still be careful to check all round, particularly from the front.

Geoff

Cheers Ken but I was thinking of litho/aluminium sheet as opposed to silver coverings. I know people do it all the time with that aluminium tape and such but having never done it before, and understanding the principals of a faraday cage I did not want my new creation to wander off all on its own!

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 24/09/2016 10:36:41:

I was actually going to ask the question about RF shielding as I have a desire to do a substantial amount of cladding on some future projects. With 35meg its no issue as the antenna can dangle outside, but what of 2.4?

Surely a 2.4 GHz aerial can be located outside (or inside a "scale" external aerial - most full size have external aerials for much the same reasons as we want them!) just as easily and less obviously than 3 feet of wire? Maybe some shielding issues in certain orientations but most 2.4 GHz receivers use multiple aerials so this should be relatively easy to overcome.

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/09/2016 11:56:08