Futaba 6EX exchange programme

David Ashby - Moderator

Hi all

Blimmy what a mess!! 

I bought my   6EX along with 2 mates at the Roughham show In May 2007. We learnt to fly with them and have had many flights since, in close proximity to each other with out a hitch.

Other than getting a new Tx for my well used one, I think I may be mending something that is not broken. Could be better the devil I know than the one I don't.

David

David Stembridge wrote (see)

Hi all

Blimmy what a mess!!

I bought my 6EX along with 2 mates at the Roughham show In May 2007. We learnt to fly with them and have had many flights since, in close proximity to each other with out a hitch.

Other than getting a new Tx for my well used one, I think I may be mending something that is not broken. Could be better the devil I know than the one I don't.

David

Indeed, but the BMFA have effectively banned all 6EX and TM7's that have not been through the exchange programme. It probably won't be long before most clubs follow suit!

See here

I see I'm not alone in having wondered whether we'd get a new Tx battery

Maybe that was too much to hope for - or is it?

Ok, so its never a hardship to visit a model shop - I can think of plenty worse things to do - but when you have no immediate plans to do so, and other things on your plate, its an added inconvenience (never mind the price of fuel) to get there and back to exchange the thing. Plus we've seen from some posts that some are thinking "why bother?"

With that in mind I would have thought that supplying these TXs with a new battery would be (a) a not unreasonable gesture of goodwill and (b)an incentive to ensure maximum participation in this important safety measure

IanN wrote (see)

I see I'm not alone in having wondered whether we'd get a new Tx battery

Maybe that was too much to hope for - or is it?

Ok, so its never a hardship to visit a model shop - I can think of plenty worse things to do - but when you have no immediate plans to do so, and other things on your plate, its an added inconvenience (never mind the price of fuel) to get there and back to exchange the thing. Plus we've seen from some posts that some are thinking "why bother?"

With that in mind I would have thought that supplying these TXs with a new battery would be (a) a not unreasonable gesture of goodwill and (b)an incentive to ensure maximum participation in this important safety measure

Its a hardship for many in as much as the travelling costs. My nearest shop is 2 hours return journey and at petrol the price it is, I obviously dont go there very often !!

Timbo: if you contact Ripmax / Futaba Service (Jim Meier) and explain how far you are from a model shop I think he'll agree to your sending yours in by post - but don't forget to remove (and replace) the Ripmax Serial.  Of course, you may be equally far from a Post Office!

Appreciated - that will hold true for many. One would hope Ripmax would post a tranny to people who are really stuck

I'm guessing its initially the retailers responsibility in law to get things put right. That could justifiably include claiming recompense from the shop for journey time and fuel

But because modellers are a nice bunch, and we support and treasure our shops, I doubt many would do that. Perhaps Ripmax are relying on this. Given that they'd be supplying them at cost, I really do think a new battery is the least they could do

i have been back once to my LMS for the test, now i have to revisit for the exchange, plus the trouble of saving all the settings for five models  (on paper nothing electronic mind you), plus rebinding five receivers two of which are inconveniently hidden in the depths of awkward fuselages, plus converting to mode one. thank god i dont have a toyoto car, they are full of futaba bits.

No, the Ripmax info says they send an acknowledgement, then later a date that it will be where you have requested it.

A LESSON IN UK SERVICE.....................

I recently needed to buy two large (expensive) custom springs. 

Found more than 10 firms stating they do custom one off springs on the Internet, so Emailed them all with a photo sample, dimensioned drawing and clear engineering spec of what I wanted.

8 never bothered to reply, one took two weeks to misquote on someone else's job(?), and one sent an automated "we'll be back to you in 48 hrs" reply and then took a month.

Eventually the third did come up with the goods.

Just my luck. After praising 2.4 gigs, I got to the flying field on Saturday only to find my Futaba 6EX TX  wasn't talking to either of the  receivers of  two models. After digging the  little  devils out, I found that both had lost their binding with the TX., and the green RX LEDs were flashing. Not sure what this means, but I would guess that the TX coding has changed. When the RXs were re-binded (?) they both operated normally. As my TX serial is in the A7xxxxxxx series, it looks like I should exchange the TX, but as I am in Tenerife, with a decidely "iffy" postal service, and probably have the only 2.4 gig RC on the island at present, it could be a problem. However, my son will be on holiday here at the end of August, so I will get him to take the TX to his local model shop in Stoke on Trent. I trust Ripmax will still honour the exchange service in September. At present I can't get into the Ripmax web site to ask them.