Endurance...we're only amatuers

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

I stood on a bridge over the Aude in the South of France last year and watched these birds diving under the bridge and skimming the surface of the water taking insects as they rose from the river. A friend called them the Ducati of the skies!

They appear to me to be much bigger than either a Swallow or House Martin. They are all black and their scimitar shaped wing also distinguishes them from the other two birds.

Not sure this is exactly news. I recall studying this at uni thirty five years ago. Also, we looked at cetaceans (dolphins etc) which sleep half their brain at a time to prevent drowning.

Im rather suspucious of the quote which says the prof is surprised that they "stair" aloft for so ling. Hmmm.

What amazes me more is that EASA expect me to be able to safely land myjet full of220 passengers after 22 hours awake at the helm. When im stopped by the cops in the company carpark they tell me off for driving when tired...twlling them ive just landed a jet holds no sway. GOtta love EASA!

D

One of the most interesting bird scenarios I witnessed years ago in Tobago was at the beach close to where we were staying .

On this one particular day when the local fisherman were hauling in their catch using shore nets we observed the following .

First the pelicans came down to catch the fish from the open nets .They then took off and were attacked by the gulls until they gave up the catch .The gulls now flying off with the catch were then themselves attacked very aggressively by frigate birds until they themselves surrendered the catch .! ! !

The frigate birds seemed to be at the top of the food chain as nothing further seemed to attack them .! ! !

We watched this for nearly an hour .What a wonderful looking bird the frigate is and in attack mode is awesome .