Impromptu PSSA gathering Sunday 6th Nov?

Phil Cooke

Thanks to Phil for arranging this (and to Bob's idea). It was great to meet up with you all, albeit for a short time.

I maidened my A-4 Skyhawk, but either the lift was insufficient or the model was nose heavy, as I ended up landing at the foot of the cliff after a brief 10 second flight. I bumped into fellow out-lander Chris Barlow in the bracken, where we managed to locate each other's models and carry out an exchange.

The Skyhawk's fin was broken off, and the fuselage had a vertical crack ahead of the wing bolt plate, plus a few minor indentations elsewhere. Fuselage is now fixed, and I'll replace the fin tonight.

I had to leave to avoid too much rain getting into my exposed balsa!

Altogether a very invigorating experience, however.

Tom - I hope you managed some flying later in the day, when you eventually tore yourself from your bed!

Well it was chilly - but as always - great people to chat with, lovely aircraft, and a really nice slope. It's only an hour and 40 mins from me, so when the wind is good, I'll be up there again. Maybe over the Christmas period, or a 1st of January meet? If not before of course.

I'm pretty sure now, that this wasn't the first slope I'd climbed to see slope soaring . I believe it was Stanage Edge, so I'd like to get that done before the year is out if anyone fancies it?

Am I right in thinking that Stanage Edge flies a SW? Andy - would you go there as opposed to the Orme on that forecast? For nostalgia reasons as you described? I've not flown it myself but pictures just viewed suggest its rocky for landing so it is a PSS suitable slope in your opinion??

I'm sorry to hear that the forecast didn't turn out as promised. I wasn't able to make it as I had an evening family party to attend but, I'd also arranged to meet a guy from N Devon who has been itching to fly at the Bwlch for ages now.

He turned up with a couple of light weight foamies which unfortunately he struggled to push out enough against the 30 mph wind and they were just being blown backwards. He also had the same L39 Albatross that Andrew Meade had built for me, but we decided not to risk it's maiden flight in those conditions, and I felt the conditions were too light for me to try flying mine also. This was a day for flying heavier models.

Fortunately we had wall to wall sunshine all day and I had 4 good hours of flying time. And it was pretty busy up there with a regular group who visit from Bournmouth and another regular from E Sussex.

I'm looking forward to getting some more stick time soon with my L39 though laugh

Posted by Andy Meade on 07/11/2016 13:31:38:

No idea, I last visited when I was 11! The Orme hasn't been great to me this year, so I'm always game for a slope safari yes

If you're going on Safari give me a shout. I think we used the track over the top of Stanage edge on a road rally once. Looks quite nice from the car park below.

Steve, I think the lift just dropped off for a short while as my JP was flying fine for about 10 minutes prior to that then just ran out of steam.

I have only flown the NW face of the Cloud a few times but after last weekend I will certainly be looking at flying the NE side too when conditions suit! Worth getting wet just to explore and have some options demonstrated by people who know what they're doing! yes

Hi All, Well - got the models and kit dried out from yesterdays day on "The Cloud" - no obvious balsa bulges from wet airframes!

Good day with typical - "four seasons in one day" weather! Interesting site for those unusual north west or north east wind days.

Wet weather banter helped to keep the effect of the rain to a minimum!

Ref Stanage Edge - Stanage itself is a long, slightly curving rocky edge very popular with climbers - flew there several years ago and have walked it frequently - good for westerly winds primarily - not sure if it will give SW round to NW but worth checking - perhaps tie up with some of the Sheffield based slope soaring lads for latest site updates etc. On a "good weather day" the location can be v. busy with climbers/mtn bikers /walkers etc so parking can be an issue. Could be an option for a future day as mentioned above by Andy - its a fair bit further east and north of Bosley however - Stanage lies to the west of Sheffield.

Going back to yesterday - it was great to see PSS models flying by with Jodrell Bank and the expanse of the Cheshire plain in the background.

Bob - thanks for suggesting the day - Phil, thanks for co-ordinating the day!

I got as far as Red Lane having travelled back from Anglesey and a great week flying every day. It was raining and cold so I went home. Looks like it was a good call. Shame as I would have loved to have seen you all again.

Just for a taster here is a brilliant NW slope I discovered at Trefor just south of Caernarfon.

Also this URL for Facebook - **LINK**