Impromptu PSSA gathering Sunday 6th Nov?

Phil Cooke

Evening all,

You may recall some of us talking towards the end of our last meeting at the Orme (where sadly we had sat-out another day of insufficient lift for PSS) when we said we would watch for a decent forecast and react accordingly in the hope we can arrange another meet somewhere at short notice.

Well, this weekends weather looks very nice with clear blue skies on a North Westerly (big thanks to Bob Jennings for the initiative!) and the idea of meeting at Bosley Cloud, Congleton, Cheshire on Sunday 6th November appears to be firming up.

Keep a keen eye on the forecast of course, as 'The Cloud' only flies NW and NE (N is flyable but its not quite 'on song' ) but if the current NW forecast stays true then I will be there from 10am - it would be great if you could join us!

For anyone who hasn't flown from The Cloud before here is a little slope guide from the PSSA site;

**LINK**

Do let me know if you are available and up for a bit of PSS in good lift and blue skies! Hope to see you there!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 02/11/2016 21:31:58

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 03/11/2016 00:02:01:

'Bosley Cloud'

When I was born just before the war, at nearby Buglawton, Bosley Cloud was known as Cloud End near Timbersbrook. And it was so called because it was the end of the Pennine clouds.

Bosley was over the hill in some far, far away country and for most of my life remained so.

Lately they have developed this dreadful Bosley Cloud name which I hate to distraction. Gawd knows what my dear late mother would have thought about it.

Nothing to do with PSS, have a nice day lads.

Lived in Buglawton until I was 15 (William Street), then we moved to the other side of Congleton. sad Now we live between Buglawton and Congleton. Gradually making my way back home! All my childhood I had the view of the Cloud from my bedroom window! After a short break away I can now see it again although now it's base is obscured by houses.

I've always known it as simply The Cloud and it was only in the last year or so I've heard it called Bosley Cloud! As a kid my friend and I used to walk to the Cloud and climb rocks all day and in winter when we used to get real snow we used to go sledging at Bosley and come home soaking wet and freezing!

I have taught my own children to used the Cloud and Sutton Common as land marks and reference points and they know they're nearly home when they can see them getting closer together!

Small world. yes

Posted by Andy Meade on 03/11/2016 07:24:21:
Come on Chris...you know you'd prefer some PSS instead :D

Or as well....

Langar has an excellent tarmac runway perfect for some scale flying and although windy it's pretty consistent and should be almost straight down the strip. Some laughs with good flying friends, some amazing models and hopefully some night flying.

I could go for the day on Saturday, leave early and get there for 9. Flying, BBQ and fireworks and drive home late. Sunday morning swap the models in the car and drive to the Cloud.........

It's possible so put me down as a maybe. smiley

Just seen this - me and Keith are in Wales flying for the week, but will do this on the way home. See you all there. Got the A4 and the JP in the car anyway. Flew the A4 yesterday on the Orme. Flew really well until it rained.

Today was going to to go Annie's place but it is WNW so am going to try a new site on the Lleyn map just South of Trefor on the Nefyn Road. Looks OK.

I hope you have a good day's flying tomorrow guys. I have thought long and hard about coming, but google says it's 2 hours 50 minutes each way for me, and the forecast doesn't look so good ( i.e. more North than NW or NE) so I'm going to hold out in the hope of a good warm SW'ly and another day's flying at the Orme before the year end.

Just about thawed out and dried off now... Wow!! - what a day!

Good effort to everyone who braved it, the PSSA attendance at The Cloud was impressive!! Sadly the 'ideal' forecast we were watching earlier in the week actually turned out not that great! The winds - although fine in strength for PSS, were due Northerly for most of the day, meaning we were flying off the point with neither the NW or NE slope faces working properly (we did fly them both!) so the band of lift was very narrow on the corner.

The temperature was quite manageable with the correct attire - but the driving rain, sleet and hail we suffered at times was hard going...none of this of course was originally forecast either - I was expecting clear winter blue skies!!!

So, it's back to the drawing board on another 'perfect' winters flying day... keep your eyes peeled on that darn forecast!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 07/11/2016 13:17:23