Seagull P-47

Craig Thomas

I would add to what Jon said, plan alternative landing spots away from the main runway (if it's possible!) because you may not be able to make it back to the runway. I learnt this the hard way, coming down in a ploughed field rather than the adjacent field which was somewhat smoother. It was a dead stick landing and seemed quite good but the 'plane was written off!

Advert

Ps do not stick the dummy radial cylinder plate in the cowl until very last or you will be unable to measure anything! (Needle valve access, glow plug , exhaust) cutouts all must be made first...best to do at final kit finish stage 😉. By the way on picture above you can see my full flap. It’s about 45deg which is all the standard kit allows and it works fine. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 20/03/2019 09:39:30

Edited By Tim Flyer on 20/03/2019 09:39:53

Edited By Tim Flyer on 20/03/2019 09:42:53

I never use flap either, can't remember when I did last, just keep full power, don't pull up off the ground too soon and not pull up either after take off - let the speed build up before doing so.

I've seen people come a cropper, by hauling their plane, especially warbirds too soon and see it tip stall, with obvious results!

Yep agreed just as both Paul and Jon say ...I never use flaps for takeoff. It’s much better to get plenty of ground speed before applying any lift ! It’s a good idea practicing take offs at higher speeds on sport planes by “holding down with elevator “ first and applying that technique to your Warbirds so you don’t pull up too soon. Having said all that the Seagull P47 is a “Very friendly Warbird” and is definitely not hard to fly. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 21/03/2019 11:07:58

All very helpful to me, thanks.

Interestingly, before I succumbed to the draw of the warbird, I had already started making longer, faster and flatter take-off runs with everything with big enough wheels, a Wot 4, an Acrowot, a Mentor and particularly the late Excelsior and latter Infinity. The little foam Explorer and especially the tiny Great Planes Sukhoi are both prone to tripping over sheep turds and I'm afraid they're still in the flat out and yank category but I can and do forgive myself.

We have c. 100m of mown strip to which aforesaid sheep have unlimited access and it's less than level, ok in a westerly, slightly downhill with lumps in an easterly. Roll on spring and at least one cut a week.

BTC