Seagull P-47

Craig Thomas

Cheers John . Can't wait but sadly we r on hols next Sunday and Saturday is a Drone comp at our club 😳. So it will have to wait a few weeks . The 100 is a BRILLIANT engine . Thanks for recommending!Darn fantastic noise and certainly pulls. As I used the heavy oversized retracts this plane needed no lead too😊

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

The big maiden flight day was today. I hadn't flown for a couple of weeks due to a holiday but the wind was perfect. Almost straight down the runway and 9-15mph. The laser 100 started by hand almost too quickly! so I had to get her into the air. I had already set the carb idle setting at home a few weeks ago in my garden and given it a short run .and throttle up. I had two initial taxiing stalls as the tail lifted as I hadn't given it enough up elevator travel. I had used the inner hole on the servo arm and only 70%rates. In the end I put elevator rates up to 120% and that seemed perfect. Take off was very smooth and the engine pulled nicely on the 15x6 prop. In the air the plane needed a lot of trim and pulled left and down . I soon had that sorted. It was a joy to fly though and I was soon doing rolls etc . The flaps are big and worked well . With flaps deployed and undercarriage down I noticed just a slight nose down attitude which was perfect. Slow flying was excellent and I didn't notice tip stall tendency. I had two great flights both with lovely landings ! On the second flight I certainly put it through its paces with loops rolls etc and the plane flew beautifully. Thanks again Jon for your excellent advice. I might try the 15x8 prop once run in as you suggested. The Laser 100 is certainly a strong engine and sounded lovely. Next flight I will try to coax out a few "pops" too!

• 2 weeks later...

Managed two great p47 flights again this weekend. This plane is a really "silky" flyer and lands incredibly smoothly. I did drop out of loops a couple of times due to me pulling back too hard near the top, but it was easily recovered with a roll out. I moved my LIFE receiver back a few inches to see if that made any difference to handling but didn't notice much and the trim hardly changed. I will probably leave it as it is now. What I might try are some larger wheels if they will fit as the standard foam ones are a bit notchy on our hard grass strip if the plane us static and sometimes it tries to nose over when moving off after being left standing. The Laser 100 is spot on perfect in this plane next time I fly it I will try the 15x8 prop as I think it's becoming run in now. I also flew my much liked BH Chipmunk on Saturday and I would say this plane is even smoother to fly. 😊

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 29/08/2017 11:23:51

Really good news Tim. If i had been paying attention id have invited you over again, we had a great weekend of flying at my end.

With your wheels, bigger is better for sure as most artf models come with pathetic little bottle caps. I would say 3.5 inch is probably scale for the P47. you could also put a 1/16 or 3/32 ply shim under the rear u/c mount to just tweak the gear forward a bit. Even moving them forward half an inch will help a great deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed another two great p47 flights last weekend on Saturday before the rain. We had a decent wind up to 20mph going straight down the runway. I moved the battery back a bit more and tried out a 15x8 prop. The Laser 100 performance was great and it easily made big loops and held good speed up and down the fairly strong wind. I was surprised it runs so well with the 15x8 as I run my OS95v on a 15x6 on my Chipmunk and it certainly seems plenty for that engine. It must be the long stroke of the Laser 100 helping. Anyway landings were far smoother with the re balancing. I did just manage to touch the prop near the end of the landing run on damp grass as the wheels bogged down , but it didn't nose over and re settled easily on the tail wheel. I got applause from club members for the mini display and lots of good comments on the model and engine . One suggested a smoke system! Maybe another day🙂. Regarding the wheel wells they are not lined , but the size of my retracts and wing dimensions prevents me going bigger than 3 inch wheels. I installed the Robart 3 inch scale ones which look good and perform well although slightly heavy. I'm certainly very happy with this combination.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 12/09/2017 14:49:16

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 12/09/2017 14:53:23

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 12/09/2017 14:54:33

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 12/09/2017 14:55:14

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Denis I just noticed your post as I was out a bit recently. This plane has really given me confidence with Warbirds. No way am I an ace pilot just very average and yet this plane set up as per the advice on this forum was a real revelation to be honest. I do have the WorldModels Spitfire which is just a bit trickier and has poor retracts limiting its "every day" use on our grass strip. I put the heavy duty HK electric retracts on this model as recommended earlier in the thread an this has made it a real pleasure to land. With the extra power this plane can support the decent retracts and proper well covers . I'm definitely a warbird convert now . When I started flying that was always my aim which I never thought achievable given my very average flying ability. I can't wait to be flying it again when the grass dries out🙂

• 2 months later...

Hi Timothy,

I too am building a Seagull P47 and powering it with a Laser 100.

I'm about half way through the build and have come up with a few queries that I thought I'd check with you.

a) Having fixed the motor to my nice new mount to allow 145mm as per the instructions between the firewall and the prop spinner I've found the cowl couldn't possibly fit and I've had to now use a dimension of 128mm ! Did you have a similar problem ?

b) I've fitted larger wheels (3.5" and raked the oleos slightly forward as was suggested by Jon Harper and had to cut down the oleos and trim the wheel well to achieve this, but the wheel well flaps that fit onto the oleos are well clear of the bottom of the wing which will case considerable turbulence. This problem is not caused by my adaptions. Did you have the same problem ?

c) I notice that you haven't fitted the bombs ! I fitted mine but a friend advised against it. Not sure whether I should remove them ?

Any advise gratefully received

Paul in France

• 3 months later...

Blimey Paul for some reason I missed your reply on this thread From December . You must have finished it by now and I hope it went well! Anyway Regarding cowl dimensions I can’t be sure but I think I used my own measurements after cowl fixing to make sure the prop cleared the cowl. I did use my own large cowl blocks to provide much more secure cowl fitting. I decided not to attach the wing bombs as it would reduce drag a bit plus they are quite vulnerable to Hangar rash and bad landings! I did find I could not go much larger in wheel size due to my large heavy duty oleos on my retract legs as the wheel wells are not very deep. Anyway sorry I missed you and I hope you are enjoying this lovely plane. I can’t wait until it dries out on our runway and I will give mine a flight.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 28/03/2018 15:30:22

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...