FORUM PROBLEMS

Tim Mackey

I am having comms problems at the moment guys - Zero notifications are getting to me about any posts or Pms etc. I have emailed the tech guys 3 times in the last couple of days, and heard nothing back - so apologies if responses are not as normal....

PS any one else have similar issues in case its not my end ? 

Advert

yes I know...but I have changed nothing and actually disabled spam filtering completely as an experiment...but still nothing - I am struggling to see whats wrong here. I even did a moz backup and restored an earlier profile - nothing. XP rollback - nothing.

Getting desperate now - will turn out to be something silly for sure

I think its my thunderbird installation....I am going to switch drives temporarily and use Outlook with a fresh email account setup - this should confirm the problem is thunderbird. Thanks Ron..... its not a PC problem as such me old mate, the O/S is fine and entering BIOS at boot up will not relate to this particular issue. I set up dual booting facilities on this machine with my OS on seperate partitions, so will re-boot in to XP2 on my other dricve and see how it goes. TY

Yes something is definately amiss. I altered nothing my end - and all comms from the forum just dried up from around Wednesday last week . I have now changed to an alternative email address, and notifications are once again arriving....but it still does not explain the problem.

I also use Xp pro but thunderbird is my preferred email client. 

Timbo, if the notifications come through okay on a differant email address that would clearly suggest your client settings are fine, If the working email is a webmail address such as Gmail and the blocked address is your ISP email it is possible that your ISP has changed and intensified their antispam and is now blocking the notifications automaticaly.  May be worth changing the Thunderbird settings so as to leave mail on the server and  then check on the ISP to see if the notifications are there.

Just a thought.

this has nothing to do with the current problem but i have vist on our houses main comp and it is ****, rubbish, useless and irratating so i have reverted to my dads old laptop which is XP "yay for XP" the laptop isn't as good but it works and it dosn't give me an error message every time i look anything on the net i mean it shut of the internet when all i was doing was looking at steve webb models because it said it was an unsafe sight and it takes ages to fix any problem so my advice to anyone is stick to XP althought there is a new operating styem comeig out next year i don't know what its called but microsoft can't do any worse then what they have done with vista, ill have to stop now or else i could go on all day about how irrating vista is

Well very strangely, this morning as I booted up, and started thunderbird.....178 messages arrived in my original email address inbox- almost all of them notifications from the forum! Again...I have changed nothing recently, other than to have swapped to a webmail email address - looks like whatever the problem was has cured itself - or the techie guys have pushed some more buttons and fixed it - discreetly. I am going to change my address back to my original one...and see what happens.

OK, so that didnt work! if you change your email addy, the forum sends an auto reply to the new addy, and you need to click the link to actvate. No auto reply was received, and I have done 3 send/rcve functions.

I have therefore reverted back to the address that works for the time being.... so still puzzled.

Hi Guys,

The issues is not your clients, it's the server and system Magilica are using..

Because of the amount of mail and / or perceived spam Magilica are sending, the system has been blacklisted by 3 of the main spam databases (Just looked it up).

ISP's such as BT, Hotmail and a few of the others look up the server that the mail comes from before delivering it, if it's on the list it gets binned before you get to see it.

Magilica's systems do not correctly report the From address and have no SPF/Sender ID, this is why they have been blocked. (End of techie speak)

I would suggest someone kicks the techs or employ someone who knows about the different technology's needed for genuine bulk mail - normal 'send mail' or microsoft systems just can't cope.

Regards

Paul

P.S.before anyone jumps on me, this is a simplified version and Yes, I do this for a living!