Charging Tx from vehicle

Geoff Blamey

Hi all, I'm new to RC and keen as mustard. I already have several models and a DX9.

As I'm also a motorhomer and wanting to take my models away on my travels I want to be able to charge everything from the vehicle 12volts. I can do all my batteries via my Overlander VSP, but what about my DX9? I know it has a built-in charger. The mains adapter output is 12 volts at 0.5amps. I have a ciggy lighter adaptor that outputs 1amp, would I be safe to use that direct to the charging port on the Tx? Or do I need some other method? My MH doesn't have an inverter so no mains voltage unless I go to a campsite.

I don't really want to have to remove the battery pack from the Tx each time and risk wear and tear on the connector.

Thanks for any advice.

Advert

Thanks for the replies and the welcome.

Just to clarify, the DX9 has a 2000mAh 2S Li-Ion. The manual states 'The DX9 has an internal charger designed to charge the included 2-cell Li-Ion battery at a charge rate of 200mAh. The charge port is not polarity-dependent.'

The 12volt supply I mentioned is not just a lead with a ciggy plug on, it has a gubbins inside and a label saying 'output up to 1amp'. It's one of those things where you can turn a wee adjuster to give different voltages on the output.

I did find some info by Googling and there were comments (in USA) that you could charge a DX8 by just connecting a 12volt supply. However, I preferred to find definitive info from someone who actually does it. With motorhoming being popular in the UK, I hoped to find someone who already does what I'm wanting to do.

Thanks again.

Am understanding you now Geoff, and you are still OK to use the 12v available. The limiting factor is the home wiring, but is in the 10A ballpark. Your gismo will handle 1A, and your Tx only requires 0.2A. And yes, I do charge at the field from my car but not left unattended.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 25/11/2016 07:43:47

Thanks, guys, that's reassuring.

I go off in the MH for weeks at a time, so the Tx will need charging at some stage. Vehicle voltage can be a bit variable unless the engine is off, but I have solar panels as well, so I'd need to remember to isolate whatever battery I'm charging the Tx from. I wouldn't want to put 14.5volts into the Tx. I might need to modify the wiring a little but I wanted to avoid using an inverter if possible. It might be safer for me to fit an inverter but every time you add something into the circuit there are losses, and because I tend to wildcamp a lot of the time, I need to be as efficient on power as possible.

I don't want to cause more work Geoff, or go beyond your scope and have wires dangling everywhere but a 12v Voltage Regulator Chip costs 50p, and has an overload cut out, gives 12v 1.5A from variable input, and would ensure that only the prescribed voltage arrived at your charger. You have task of soldering this 3 legged IC onto a mount for wireing and placing in a small project box.