Bwlchfest 2017 - A Fly for Fun slope soaring event in S Wales

So I had this idea about holding a slope soaring event at the Bwlch, S Wales for next summer and I created the following teaser of a video and popped it on YouTube and various Facebook groups, and the response has been amazing.

The idea is that like minded glider guiders come along to The Bwlch for a weekend of informal flying on a "Fly for Fun" basis.

It doesn't matter if you fly foamies, crunchies, mouldies, F3F, scale, PSS, aerobats or sport models, all are welcome.

A preliminary date of June 10th/11th looks likely, and from the feedback I have received already, A European contingent from Germany, Austria and Slovenia are already making plans to attend this event, including a guy I know from Germany who writes for a aero modelling magazine there called, Aufwind. So this could become a truly international event.

I will look into organising this event in more detail once the Christmas and New Year festivities are over and finalise the date, but I would hope to see a strong contingent of fliers coming along to fly at one of the best slope locations in Europe.

To keep up to date with this event, or check out the location and slopes, click A470soaring. The listed slopes at the Bwlch can be found under the Flying Sites tab.

Steve

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 05/12/2016 08:28:33

So the 10th/11th June has been confirmed and I've been contacted by people from all over the UK who are interested. There are also some guys from Germany and Slovenia who have already booked their accommodation and there has also been interest from Scandinavia and the USA.

This has the potential to be a truly international event laugh

Steve

A470Soaring

A day at each sounds like a great compromise Frank thumbs up

Chris - I've asked the lads and the nearest camp site we can come up with is Hendre Ifan Farm, Glynogwr, Blackmill, CF35 6EN

Tel: 07800 945558

There are more around Porthcawl, like Happy Valley.

It's the time of year when events are always likely to clash, and I've had to compromise with dates to keep both British and continental flyers happy.

I've also just received confirmation that a piece about this event will appear in probably the February issue of the German model flying magazine, Aufwind, thanks to my friend Robin Lutzenburger laugh

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So we are looking at providing Bwlchfest T Shirts and caps. Approximate price for T's is £20 and caps £5 but the more orders we receive the cheaper these will be.

Payment will be by PayPal only.

If you are attending Bwlchfest and fancy one of these, drop me a PM with your requirement and size of shirt and then once a deal is finalised I can get back to you for payment etc.

Some shirts and caps may be available on the day but there is no guarantee of quantity or size.

bwlchfest cap.jpg

bwlchfest t front.jpg

bwlchfest t back.jpg

Steve

A470soaring

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 01/03/2017 15:34:50

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is coming along to Bwlchfest and they would like a personalised T shirt or cap, pre ordering is now available.

Price is about £20 for a shirt and £5 for a cap.

For further info, please contact Robin Lutzenburger at [email protected]

A limited number of non personalised shirts will be available at the Fest but quantities and sizes cannot be guaranteed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve, Although I live in somerset My uncle (tom payne, tonyrefail you may know him builder and flier for 50 years) are interested in turning up. I am currently building a dfs reiher 60 span . my reason for contacting you is can 35 meg be used or is it all that new fangled frequency only please? I have bmfa insurance. tried a470 soaring site but cant find any info on the blog. by june I should have this up and flying. all built from plans and stick and tissue. (dont you just love the smell of dope first thing in the morning) I also have a small pss but powered by cox texaco. IC allowed? your help would be appreciated. thanks keith

Hi Keith, and thanks for your message.

It would be great to see you at Bwlchfest, and it's not too far for you to travel from Somerset.

Yes you can use 35 meg, and in fact thank you for reminding me that I need to sort out a peg board.

I shall look forward to seeing your Reiher as it will be another type of build and glider for people to oggle at. I love a bit of variety!

Unfortunately we cannot allow the use of IC engines, although electric is fine. Hopefully there will be enough wind for you to fly your PSS model without the use of the motor anyway.

Also, if you are interested, A470soaring is hosting a PSSA fly for fun meeting at the Bwlch on May 21st & 22nd.

I shall post details on my blog in early May for this or, you could go to PSSAonline also.

We look forward to seeing you.

• 1 month later...

hi Steve its me again. just to let you know I will be coming and looking forward to it. sadly the reiher wont be ready but I am getting a standby ready. Just 1 other thing, my uncle has not been able to fly much lately so his bmfa ins. has lapsed he wants to know if temporary insurance can be purchased for the w/e please. he holds an A certificate for flying. many thanks keith

Hi Keith

I am not able to issue temporary insurance, your uncle needs to contact the BMFA directly to obtain this.

It will be good to see you next weekend, and I shall be keeping a close eye on the weather forecast during the week.

Please keep an eye on my BLOG for any updates as to the weather and which of the seven slopes that make up the Bwlch we are likely to be flying.

Steve

A470soaring.

Wishing you all a great weekend andc good lift ! I had thought this may be the time IO actually get back to the Valleys and fly the Bwlch at last...... however its not to be.

Work calls on the Saturday and a friend has offered me a free trip to Cosford full size airshow on the Sunday.

Have a great time chaps and chapesses and Ill see you at the next one

I don't have a postcode Keith, it's a mountain between Nant-y-moel and Cwm-parc/Treorchy. If you look up Cwm-parc in the maps section of your satnav, you can usually tap on the screen to the point you want the satnav to take you to.

There are maps and all sorts of useful other stuff on my blog, so you can see where you need to head to. Click on the link HERE.

There is a lay-by at the top of the hill, usually with a snack van parked there. Hopefully I shall leave some instructions with the guy in the van as to which slope we are on, but I will also post on here the evening before, and also on my blog. My blog is your best source of info for this weekend.

Thanks for that Mark thumbs up

The current weather forecast for Saturday is total pants, with rain for most of the day. With the Bwlch being around 1400 ft ASL, this means that the cloud base will be very low also and so visibility is likely to be nil.

Sunday is looking like being the better day with sunshine and showers.

But I'm not going to be all doom and gloom just yet, because as anyone who flies slope regularly will know that the forecast can change overnight.

Watch this space

The peg board is sorted Keith yes

The forecast has changed again, and now we are looking at a cloudy but DRY Saturday with a southerly wind of around 20 mph plus on the ridge, and the slope, (if this forecast remains) will be Back of Wrecker.

So the meeting point will be the Wrecker lay-by.

The picture below is of the Wrecker which is where we will park, but Back of Wrecker is just out of shot. To get to the Back of Wrecker slope you cross the road from the lay-by and walk up the path to where it says "Landing Zone Here", and continue on to the ridge. In all about a 2 minute walk.

wrecker car parking 2 (640x378).jpg

more bwlch 2 (640x378).jpg

I will look at the forecast later this evening and post if there is likely to be a change.

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 09/06/2017 08:07:22

So the latest forecast for tomorrow, (Saturday), is showing dry but cloudy with a southerly wind, (which still means flying on Back of Wrecker), until about 3 pm ish, when the wind shifts to south westerly and rain is due in.

If the rain keeps to the north of us, then we can up sticks and move over to Mickey's, the SW slope. But if the rain comes in, then a move to another slope is pointless, but at least we will have had a good few hours flying.

See you in the morning

The weather forecast is constantly changing depending on which weather service you look at.

Some say the rain is due in between 2 pm & 3 pm, others say from about 10 am. Who do you believe?

I shall be there by 9 am and probably pick up a coffee and bacon butty from the van on the ice cream slope lay-by.

There could be a possible Plan B. If the rain, and that is a big IF, stays clear of the coast, we could always move to Southerndown and fly the sea cliffs there.

I shall wait at the Bwlch for a while to see who turns up and then we can make a decision there.

Looking on the bright side, Sunday is looking much, much better.