landing a acrowot foamie

rcaddict

Advert

Difficult to give any opinion without actually seeing the 'plane's approach. I had a kit Acrowot for many years and one thing it didn't suffer from was any tendency to tip stall unless it was seriously provoked, its flying manners were very benign all around.........'unless you switched to hooligan mode'.

I've seen a few of the Acrowot foamies and they all seem to fly nicely - check CG again, too much elevator or aileron movement? Just guessing really. Might be an idea to have another pilot give it the once-over and test flight.

I have both the balsa and the faomie AW. Certianly the basa Acro-Wot does tend to come in a bit quick - not excessively so, but it definitely likes to be "covering the ground" at touch down!

But I've not noticed that tendancy with the foamie. Usually that's a pussy cat to land - such a low wing loading. I don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs OG, but could the wind direction have changed during your flight and you found yourself coming in down-wind? That might explain the change on behaviour?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/12/2016 11:49:32

OG, low rates are subjective to where we set them, but on landing it is nice to have a good bit of e!evator and rudder to gain authority from the controls at low speed. I would not automatically turn everything down for landing. Experiment as you propose to, and what you feel comfortable with but have found that many models benefit from good surface movement at lower speeds, and if flicking switches is any distraction, have normal set to the book values, and use throttle more on landing. This will test the prop selection as can the motor still pull at low revs?

OG, I'm surprised it tip stalls on finals (straight and level flight?), mine simply wallows a bit and drops its nose if slowed down too much. Have you laterally balanced the model? Is one wing heavier than the other? If so, add weight to the light wing tip until the model balances correctly (laterally).

One other thought: Is the tail plane bolted down correctly onto its seat? It can be quite difficult to get it to sit right down on the fuselage without any gaps, but if it's slightly raised one way or t'other it'll alter the longitudinal incidence causing some interesting handling characteristics.

Got 270flights on mine and never seen a hint of a stall . I would echo check CG by inverted flight. Mines got a lump of lead under the tail and needs very little forward stick . I would add, watch out for the motor mount compressing the foam inside. It makes it interesting but as yours is new you have a while till that happens !😀 Colin

Ah!

Mine has the same CoG at 65mm. Very sensitive to elevator at the mo, taking it down to a more reduced setting. She flies beautifully and highly aerobatic - but at the mo, touch the elevator and she rewards with a very strong up and roll. Nothing that worries me, less throw and she'll be a pleasure. I found out a couple of hundred feet up so the landing was silky smooth with me being very delicate on the elevator.

S